10+ Year Old Account

Lack of RDPS on Warmaster - advice??

We've got into a situation last night and probably in few upcoming weeks as well, that we don't have practically no RDPS to take along. All fights except Warmaster seem doable with out that much ranged.

Our spriest is away for a while, mage is just slacking and both locks are AFK and we have no main's as shamans with decent gear for DPS.

Last night on most fights I on my hunter, was the only ranged DPS. In single tank fights our OT went balance when he was not needed. But the real problem with the lack or RPDS arrived when we tried Blackhorn. The melee helped out as much as they could in killing the drakes, but the drakes stayed up a bit longer that we would've liked and thus there was lot of swirlies to soak, but we barely managed.

Things got real interesting when it was time to take out the Warmaster's drake. Me and the Boomkin don't have that great DPS and we ended up so (before the wipe) that Warmaster was almost at the same HP as the dragon...

How should we approach this fight with very little RDPS, specially the P2? Is there any enrage or what ever on the fight or does the drake has to die in certain amount of time or?

Recruiting people is a pain, cause we progress in somewhat slow pace for some and tend to wipe on silly mistakes, also some times our 4 raid nights turn into 2, due to people having IRL issues, so those who join end up leaving soon to a better guild..

Setup from last night:
    Tank: MS prot paladin, OS prot warrior
    Heals: Disc (holy) priest, resto druid, holy paladin
    DPS: 2x arms war (ms), 1 balance druid (os), 1 sv hunter, 1 rogue

How should we approach this fight with very little RDPS, specially the P2?
    Ignore the drake, focus all dmg on Blackhorn, move the boss when the area you are in gets too many voidzones. Should work.

Sounds like you're going to have no choice but to, like Pokty says, focus all your dps on Blackhorn, move around the ship for the Void Zones, and pop Hero for the execute phase. It's not going to be easy, but there's not better solution other than "get more/better ranged."

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the advice. If we don't get any better setup for tonight, will try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had to do the same thing last night after having a couple people decide they didnt want to raid which lead me to bring 3 melee.

Killed it on our second attempt. Needless to say i don't want to do it again but its possible. Have your warriors and rogue white hit Blackhorn while your range kill gorianna. and make sure you are tanking it close enough to your range that they can get out of the shockwave.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8...?s=3933&e=4338

Maybe one of your healers could use an OS to got one more ranged

The skyfire's cannons do very significant DPS on the drake. 2 ranged is plenty; with 3 ranged the cannons do ~60% of the damage to Goriona for us. You may still want to switch ranged to Goriona... but only because you'd be pushing vengeance up pretty high if all your DPS focused Blackhorn.

As for p1: you can tank the melee adds on the harpoon guns to allow some cleaving on to the drake: pick a side you want to kill and get everyone killing that drake, it'll definitely die before it breaks.

The fight isn't THAT ranged-favored on normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    With current possible setup only one with DPS OS, gear and DPS is our resto druid (paladin has tanking spec and all priests have either double disc or holy as secondary spec), who does the most of the healing and I believe if we make our best healer go DPS the fails would be even faster.

Smeg ty for the logs, which prove again that our raids DPS is somewhat shit... and at present with current setup, no matter who the 2 ranged are, we will lack the DPS needed to take Goriona down faster.

So I believe that until we can run with 3 RDPS, ignoring Goriana is our only option.

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 10:43 AM ----------

Thanks Brain. We keep our melee adds together in the front part of the ship for the melee to be able to use AoE on them. And we focus on one side, but never have dragged the melee adds to the harpoons.

This is also something worth to try.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2012-01-26 at 08:44 AM.

Deleted
    i hope your also draging only the elite SLAYERS into onslaughts as the slayer doesn't cleave anddraging into onslaught = melle can stil dps otherwise you risk them geting all cleaved as they strait line run abck to the ads after the onslaughts -> for some reason taking the slayeri nto onslaughts makes him either delay the charge or jsut to do a small distance one that hits almsot no one.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the onslaught is the biggest purple swirl on the ground then to soak, we drag all of them in there, so tanks can help to spread the dmg.

And I've noticed it myself, when tank moves the slayer it will cancel his charge (even if the line is on the ground of which it will move along).

You could have your priest go shadow and just 2 heal it. We started DS with a 3 melee comp and wound up 2 healing everything but Zon'ozz from day 1 because of our comp. Our healers were a discpriest and resto shaman. You should definitely be able to do it with a paladin and druid.

Deleted
    Go 2 heal - makes the fight easier. Either Holy(Pala)/Resto or Holy/Holy setup. To keep replenishment you just make the Priest go Shadow. The only downside to melee DPS is it makes the early p2 a bit harder(longer).

The ship is doing 100k dps to Goriona, with a total of ~9 million damage to drive her off. The difference between 2 ranged and 3 ranged will be ~10 seconds, so that's not going to make or break the fight.

When you get to phase 2, have whatever ranged you have work on Goriona as best they can. However, the priority is to avoid damage, not deal it, as the ship will eventually take care of her. We found it best not to dps Warmaster until she flies off, to keep him from ramping up his damage until you can all focus on him.

Lots of good advice in this thread. And as far as phase 1 goes if you position your melee just right they can attack and use abilities on the drakes. Just take your time inching towards the edge lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, lots good advice idd, which I will try to forward and if we get the healers and DPS set for tonight, we'll give some of it a try if still lack of ranged.

But for now, probably no 2-man healing. Although maybe our healing crew will consider it at some point. But for priest going shadow... Am not sure do they even have the proper gear for it.

As for slowly inching towards the edge... On one of our earlier kills our warrior charged a drake , best DPS we had, went poof off the ship.

2 healing as many bosses in DS will make them all easier. Whenever you can. Warmaster there really isnt alot of damage at all until p2, even if one of your healers went dps and did something miserable like 10-15k , it would be better than 3 healing it in my opinion. I would try it out if its possible, which it sounds like you dont have the offspecs, which I can relate to, it does suck,.