Poll: Should there be restrictions on where one can smoke?

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaros View Post
    Plus, fag butts being all over the pavements is not a nice sight.
    Yeah, having worked at a tourist attraction and being responsible for sweeping garbage, I can attest to how inconsiderate with littering smokers are. For some reason, they don't consider cigarette butts to being real litter. Sure, they might not throw their candy wrapper on the ground, but why are cigarettes any different? They are still unsightly and have to be swept up.

But it doesn't seem like any smokers care about that, and find the ground a perfectly acceptable place for their waste. It only affirms my ideas that most smokers are generally inconsiderate people (kudos to those of you who properly dispose of your butts, though).

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    You seem to be like a broken record, you keep going on and on with the same, faulty argument. Yet you still refuse to admit that people who smoke (indoors) directly poison others who are in the same area and THAT is the problem. People can do whatever the hell they want to themselves.

Others poisoning me with me having no way of stopping it apart from leaving the room which is very often not an option. That's is what is wrong, luckily lawmakers see it and actively fight against it lately.
    You seem to be against reading my previous posts. I agree with it being banned indoors, that makes toatal sense. However, my city has banned it indoors, in all buildings, including bars. It has been banned in parks, on my college campus completley, and certain areas of the city it is banned outside as well. Now I seem to recall you saying that cars dont hurt anyone because they are outdoors correct? Lots of fresh air for everyone, that is what you said right? So why on earth is it okay to ban smoking outside, providied it is not within a certain distance to a buildign entrance.

im a non-smoker since a year back now, but i did have the same opinion even as a smoker.
    smokers should have better common sense.

plz dont smoke right outside the gate to the supermarket since it bothers others.
    plz dont smoke at the bus stop if theirs a lot of ppl who can be bothered.
    plz exhale all ur smoke before getting on the street train/ bus.

u get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    You know what? I just had a brilliant idea. I have asthma and smoking bothers me to no end...but what if you made nicotine/tobacco in the form of an inhaler?

*Patent Pending*
    Inhaler's aren't cool enough!

But seriously they already have nicotine patches...

Deleted
    I voted no, I'm a non-smoker, but I would like to add something: Individual businesses (be it shops, salons, cafe's, restaurants, etc. etc.) are allowed to make their own rules about where and when people on their property are allowed to smoke.
    Also, there should be a law where people are allowed to smack inconsiderate (See: smoking near small children and people with asthma, or if people asks them nicely to stop, but they don't) smokers in the back of the head with a rolled-up newspaper or magazine. (NOT books)

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be like smoking weed - be discreet about it, and not in people's faces, and no one will even know you're doing it.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    You would want to ban smoking and laugh at the idea of it being used to relieve stress because it's harmful to the people. You may think smoking is a bad choice but that does not mean you're right for the people who smoke for the reasons I mentioned. You can list alternatives all you want but when it comes down to it smoking is easy to access and doesn't require time to go to the gym which these people may not have, if they even find exercising to helpful at all that is. People also eat things that are considered unhealthy to them compared to healthy food for the same reasons.
    Exercise is easier to access. You can do it anywhere and it costs nothing. And it's been proven to reduce stress and put you in a better mood.

Quote Originally Posted by ryotte View Post
    My answer would be "Yes, but at the discretion of that particular business."
    That's going to be legal no matter what. Business owners have always had the right to say "no smoking" in their establishment. That's why I didn't include it as a poll option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    In California they are trying to pass a new tax that will add a $5 cigarette tax, which will make it $10+ per pack, hows that for stopping people from smoking.
    they should do this with alcohol as well since they're both equally killers. but wait, if that were the case that new tax wouldn't have even been thought of hahaha. i love the hypocrisy that is this country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Almost every argument against smoking isn't because it hurts the individual, but because it hurts others. And not just annoying, like bad music or ugly tattoos, but it actually harms them. It makes them sick and damages their lungs.

It's not because people want to tell you what you should be allowed to do to yourself, people are just telling you what you shouldn't be doing to others.
    If you think second hand smoke has a serious real effect on the longevity of your life, your very ignorant.

Also, you have these things called legs, use them to move away from smoke.

It's tough to ban it, I read a report somewhere that here in Germany if cigarettes were banned the whole country would fall apart in 1 year because of the lack of tax money. Alcohol is the same thing that's where most of the tax money comes from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I wouldn't make it illegal, but I'd certainly be in favor of treating it with a heavier hand. As someone who's been to harbors around the country and see the sheets of cigarette butts(among other trash) that build up in them it's simply disgusting. Keep it in your home, your car, or some other private or dedicated smoking area.
    How bout we turn that around? You don't want smoke around you? Stay at home, your car or some other private or dedicated smoking area.

But hell, special snowflakes will always argue that something isn't the way they want.

Quote Originally Posted by goneloco View Post
    plz dont smoke right outside the gate to the supermarket since it bothers others.
    I hold my breath as I enter Wal-Mart. There's a huge cloud of smoke right outside the store - every single time. It's disgusting. Do people even have any consideration for all the non-smokers who actually want to BREATHE as they enter the store? Theories point to "no, they don't."

They outlawed smoking in pubs here and i quit due to this. Its the best lore the ever passed i can only thank them for it. I am now benefiting from better health and spare cash each week

I now hate seeing people with a fag in there hand it stinks i mean really stinks you can smell a dirty smoker from a mile away (when i smoked i didn't notice it but when you give up you can really smell the smoke and its bad) I also have a child 7 weeks old tomorrow and i hate walking past smokers in the street because my son is inhaling all that shit.

If you choose to smoke it should be done in your own home or in a designated public building (one that is not funded by public money).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    In California they are trying to pass a new tax that will add a $5 cigarette tax, which will make it $10+ per pack, hows that for stopping people from smoking.
    It doesn't work. They're MORE expensive than that in most places in Canada, and people still buy them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepo View Post
    That's one wierd way to use the word ideal.

Edit: OT: Voted for banning smoking, nothing good can come of that habit. I also see smoking as a sign of weakness, but maybe that's just me.
    Have you ever successfully forced yourself not to eat or drink anything for 3 days? You must be a weak person if you find it difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr4vitas View Post
    If you think second hand smoke has a serious real effect on the longevity of your life, your very ignorant.

Also, you have these things called legs, use them to move away from smoke.
    It's bad to breathe in smoke. This is a fact. If you deny this, you're very ignorant.

And you have legs. Use them to smoke away from other people. I mean, seriously, are you really so inconsiderate? Read my post above: how am I supposed to "walk away" from the smoke barrier that exists as I enter a supermarket? I can't. I have to walk through it or not do any shopping. Those are my choices, because rude people give me no better options.

Waiting in line, in the middle of a crowd, I have no choice. You do, but you don't have the consideration to make the right choice. You can't wait a few seconds before lighting up. Would you like it if I couldn't wait a few seconds or walk away before taking a piss? Sorry it hit your feet. Maybe you should have moved away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post
    When is leaving the room not an option?
    It's not an option, it's a requirement to leave.

You are basicly claiming that smokers got the first right to everything there is, because if people don't like it they can leave.

Well guess what, if you don't like that others don't like your smoking, you can also leave. Go smoke elsewhere. But judging by your post, you would refuse to leave and start smoking afterall. This would either force the people nearby to simply accept it, or they would be forced to leave because you don't like being forced to leave.

People in public should stay neutral with their habits. if smoking is allowed in public, a lot of other nasty habits that are intruding on others should be allowed too. Other bad habits are however not accepted, because society has grown into an acceptance of smoking due to it in the past being concidered one of the things that proves you have grown up(other bad habits were not that lucky). But guess what, that attitude is changing. I have no idea where in the world you live, but as stated, Norway got a pretty restricting smoking-law back in 2004, and that law has grown on our society and become the new normal.

And, as stated, it is better this way because smoking in public is actually no different than any other nasty habit. Smoking is probably also the most intruding one of them all. Especially visible for me that have grown up watching my mother suffer incredibly much because of a rather extreme allergy against smoke.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2012-01-26 at 06:47 PM.

Deleted
    k ban smoking because it's bad for your health

also, no more alcohol, add a tax for fatties, ban all kinds of junk food/snacks/you name it

/sarcasm off

i agree with smoking not being allowed indoors (pubs, restaurants and whatnot). but on the street? come on

saying "they throw cigarette butts on the ground" is a gross generalization, and guess what, people dump plenty of stuff on the street other than cigarette butts. just write them a ticket if you catch them (whatever they are leaving on the ground) and be done with it

Deleted
    Didn't like any of the alternatives. You should be able to smoke outside as long as you dont blow the smoke in someones face and respect the people around you.
    And indoor smoking, pubs and resturants for example should be able to decide themselves if they allow it or not. It's your own fault if you deicde to go to a bar where people are allowed to smoke inside.