Tenchu
    Zelda
    Kingdom Hearts
    Silent Hill 1,2 and 3

That's tough.

Shadow of the Colossus
    Trine 1/2
    Warcraft/Starcraft

And I'm sure quite a few other games I just can't think of off the top of my head.

batman arkham asylum/city
    (damn you riddler and your riddles)
    kingdom hearts
    persona
    final fantasy 7
    system shock 1&2 ( i love, hate and fear shodan so much !!)

Ace Combat 5/Zero
    Warcraft 3

Shadow of the Colossus
    Kingdom Hearts
    Final Fantasy 10
    Halo
    Assassin's Creed
    Zelda

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    In no particular order..

The Witcher 1 and 2
    Final Fantasies in general, there are exceptions but I did like most of their stories, back when they weren't all considered cliche.
    Shadow Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts
    Tales of Vesperia
    Chrono Cross
    Breath of Fire 3/4
    SW:TOR has some really interesting quests, mainly class quests for the story, but there are the odd normal type quests that struck me as really cool.
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, creepy game to me but somehow enthralling.

can't believe only 1 person mentioned god of war : / pretty great story with a huge scope if you notice some small things(and put them together in the same sequence i did i guess lol), pictures before you get pandoras box in the first one (looked pretty much like the osiris/christ/3208234 other messiah stories), also looked liked he was absorbing all the different gods powers to me

alot of other good ones already said also

Planescape: Torment by FAR as number 1.

for series:
    Baldur's Gate
    Mass Effect
    Xenosaga
    Metal Gear

Individual game:
    Final Fantasy 7 & 6
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Chrono Trigger & Cross
    Deux Ex
    Starcraft
    Warcraft 3 RoC & TFT

10+ Year Old Account
    Xenogears, Breath of Fire 3, and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver top my list. My brain always go back to those games. Xenosaga seemed like a giant step down in both story and gameplay to me, like filler content in an anime.

Ys and Zelda games have very interesting themes, but it's not so much the story, just the character's.

No point naming other games, because too many hold special places. It would turn into a book, maybe even a few books.

Granted the main reason I play WoW, aside from the fluidity of the gameplay, is the lore. I refuse to play SWTOR because I simply do not like the Star Wars universe. Parasite Eve, one of the many games on my list, has far better and sensible lore than the Star Wars universe. When I first saw the Star Wars movies, I was like "this is awesome" then I played Parasite Eve and I was like "Star Wars is so weak and unimaginative compared to this."

I also can't believe the lack of God of War mentioning in the thread. One-two people at best? I guess mainstream titles (*couFF7gh*) don't get deserved mentions because people would rather bash then admit they like it. I guess not everyone is a mythology buff.

To be fair, some games people don't want to mention for the reason I said, and the other shameful reason.

*dawns Purple Flame Shield* Come at me, Flamelurker!
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2012-01-27 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added something important
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Yeah, Planescape: Torment, Ultima 7 and Kotor 1 & 2 really stand out.

Oh, and the original Myth: the Fallen Lords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Halo hands down.

Mass Effect - Nothing new persay but it was executed so well and really kept me involved.

Warcraft - Before wow butchered it this series had an excellent story.

Witcher - I just love this dark world.

I want to say FFVIII despite some of the issues I had with it I really enjoyed this story.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Far and away the best game I've ever played. The only game which caused me to shed a few tears at the end.

Maybe its just me but i loved the .hack games the original and the GU ones. I also think Final Fantasy X had a great story and Mass Effect also has a great story. And even Dead Space 1 and 2 have great story's for horror.

Edit: How can i forget Xenosaga <3 <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Bioshock

Final Fantasy X.
    It's the only game that has made me cry on multiple occasions simply because the story is so amazing and captivating. The story is very beautiful, exciting, dramatic, emotional, heartwrenching, and just overall amazing in every aspect. From my opinion, based on the games I have played, Final Fantasy X's story beats all others. It's still my all-time favorite game even though many years have passed. I would recommend it to anyone simply because the story will really pull you in their world and make you experience several emotions that most games do not bother to touch upon anymore. But of course, that is my opinion and I'm sure there are some people out there who would disagree. =P

-Chrono Trigger + Chrono Cross (I liked how Chrono Cross focused on the repercussions of Crono's actions in Chrono Trigger)
    -Zelda games, mainly Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Link's Awakening.
    -The "sorrow" Castlavania games
    -Metroid Prime (more of a good narrative, rather than a story but it deserves a mention)
    -Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    -The gba Golden Sun games
    -Radiant Historia
    -The Warcraft universe
    -Breath of Fire 2
    -Psychonauts (more of a narrative thing here too)
    -Cave Story (narrative here too)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yeast View Post
    -Chrono Trigger + Chrono Cross (I liked how Chrono Cross focused on the repercussions of Crono's actions in Chrono Trigger)
    -Zelda games, mainly Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Link's Awakening.
    -The "sorrow" Castlavania games
    -Metroid Prime (more of a good narrative, rather than a story but it deserves a mention)
    -Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    -The gba Golden Sun games
    -Radiant Historia
    -The Warcraft universe
    -Breath of Fire 2
    -Psychonauts (more of a narrative thing here too)
    -Cave Story (narrative here too)
    FUUUUU. Welp, I won't be getting any sleep tonight, thanks. I can't believe I forgot about Breath of Fire, mainly 3, which was my favorite.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    FUUUUU. Welp, I won't be getting any sleep tonight, thanks. I can't believe I forgot about Breath of Fire, mainly 3, which was my favorite.
    No problem. It only takes a few days to beat!