Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    That's a bit misleading, as the title implies that the Earth is some kind of living, breathing being that reproduces etc. It's "alive" in a totally different context.
    Yea I was thinking just the same. It's not living like we who got a concious mind, not even living like the plants without the concious mind either. It's more like creating energy flows and shit, if I understood the little I read correctly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Oh, but technically, it is breathing and reproducing. Only technically tho.

The earth is not only the planet, but all that lives on it. The planet gave birth to whatever kind of micro bio-organisms that then evolved onward and brought us life as we know it. Everything on earth is connected together. From the trees to the bees.

Take this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxEN...-button&wide=1 It's a good movie to watch. Plus it's free!
    You're incredibly wrong. The Earth is only the planet, it is the physical component. You simply refuse to distinguish terms as they ought to be, the biosphere is what you're thinking of, not Earth.

---------- Post added 2012-01-28 at 10:26 AM ----------

Never mind this, it's clearly written by a desperate to impress PhD holder, 800 references for a single 66 page publication....Never seen that many in my life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting and intelligent read to say the least. I have to read it again to make sure I get what he is saying. Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with his theory I always appreciate a read that ++me. So for sharing this I thank you OP.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    Interesting and intelligent read to say the least. I have to read it again to make sure I get what he is saying. Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with his theory I always appreciate a read that ++me. So for sharing this I thank you OP.
    It's only interesting in the capacity of how mad it is, not mad in the sense of mass becoming energy, but is in essence complete bull.

The cellular pattern is one found through nature, the galaxies etc etc, yet nobody tried to claim it's alive as a result. Fact is that this "unifying" theory doesn't unify anything.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    It's only interesting in the capacity of how mad it is, not mad in the sense of mass becoming energy, but is in essence complete bull.

The cellular pattern is one found through nature, the galaxies etc etc, yet nobody tried to claim it's alive as a result. Fact is that this "unifying" theory doesn't unify anything.
    t unifies my head to my desk! Hiyoooo!

It unifies my face to my palm! Ba zing!

There, two things it unifies.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Quote Originally Posted by terrorsolda View Post
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't let your incorrect use of hypothesis slide. A scientific hypothesis, in the context of the scientific method, must be testable. Yet, you state that this hypothesis cannot be proven through experiment. Thus, it is not testable. I believe you are looking for a word similar to conjecture, not hypothesis.
    Ah, you're correct. In that case, the "paper" boils down to simple conjecture. I apologize.. I must have gotten overeager when I saw Newton being used as an example to support this idea. I'll be editing the original post, but in any case, the point still stands.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I read 10-15 pages into it, so here's my take; As an avid scifi/fantasy reader I like this sort of thing and I find it sorta fun to read, however, it is just a story. Write a novel, use that in the basis for a character who figures it all out then you get to omit the math, and just make interesting characters and you've got something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    This is what PhD graduates do with their time now?

Christ I hate pseudoscience.

Honestly his "theory" is garbage, something I'd expect from a low budget documentary.
    Aside from the obvious question of "how the hell did this paper get published?!", I'm equally dismayed that the university tossed out a press release for it, and that a few science websites regurgitated it without scrutiny. I noticed that CWRU had deleted its release by the morning after this thread was posted. Science Daily ran with it also but later removed it, however it's still posted on PhysOrg (where, appropriately, the second comment there asks "Is it April 1st already?").

From Ars Technica: How the craziest f#@!ing "theory of everything" got published and promoted

Deleted
    The Earth is alive? So basicly we're the annoying bugs/viruses/parasites/bacteria on her back and the tsunamis are to wash us off, the earthquakes are to shake us off ,the volcanos are to kill us with fire and plagues are pesticide.