Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Use your brain and ask before needing. Simple really. And its easy to know which stats are for each class. "This guy might need this, better ask before mindlessly hitting Need!"

Not against a main spec in the same FP without them first passing.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

I am perfectly fine with it. As long as it isn't needed by any other members in the flashpoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's sooooooo difficult to not be greedy. It's sooooo difficult to just say, "If no one needs this, can I take it for my companion/pet/etc?"
    It doesnt matter, even if you ask people will still complain, or they will think you are greedy and wants to roll on stuff that you should be greeding. Everybody has 5 companions by lv50, each of them with different armor types, and everybody wants to gear one or another companion, so they feel entitled to that item as much as you do, but since you asked first he just decided to get mad at it instead of asking if he also can roll. Or they simply feel entitled that if nobody needed, it should be free-for-all because everybody could sell it for credits.

Save yourself the trouble, run with friends or guildies, or dont bother asking for companion gear during flashpoints. You will avoid a lot of nagging and discussions with pugs.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Deleted
    imo, no needing on companion gear and if people do i would kick them and put them on ignore tbh, other people got companions too , what if everybody just starts needing on everything because their companions can use it and ofc at some point , you miss the part where someone actually needs it for their character and screw them.
    Problem i got with asking is that it happens after everybody rolled as in 'all rolled greed, no one needs so i'll need now and will get it' , while the other could have needed it for their companions as well, except they already rolled so they got shafted, and to top it off it can also be misused 'need for companions'-> vendors it off after the fp.
    Greed is perfect for rolling on companion gear so just use that.
    Last edited by mmocffc62feb06; 2012-01-28 at 12:38 PM.

Deleted
    I usually ask at the start if anyone minds rolling on gear for companions if there is no need by players. Usually everyone will join in then so when an item drops we talk over it before anyone rolls. Loot doesn't often get wasted this way, a much better result imo.

If you roll "Need" for companion in my group you will be kicked.Companion gear = Greed for me.

Some time ago i opened a group for "Fallen Stars" Heroic 2+ quest on Taris.We got full group together.It was 2 Jedi Knights, Jedi Shadow and Scoundrel.Suddenly an epic item drops, it was generator with "Aim" stat on it.I roll greed, other knight and shadow roll need "for companion" while Scoundrel had dc.Right before they rolled Need i pointed out that everyone should roll greed because noone could use it directly.Next thing i did i kicked them out and put them on ignore.
    Last edited by Kaynot; 2012-01-28 at 12:40 PM.

Deleted
    The best courtesy is to roll greed. If you need an item for the companion you are mostly playing with and feel that an item is a good upgrade for them - ask politely if group members don't mind on you needing an item for your companion.
    That happens in most groups on my servers. Ninjas are quickly get bashed and known because the population is not big.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaynot View Post
    If you roll "Need" for companion in my group you will be kicked.Companion gear = Greed for me.
    Have you told everyone else at the start of the run that Greed is for Companion?

If not, you're not helping either yourself or anyone else that doesn't know your special rule for rolling. People might roll on it to vendor it as with the normal use of the greed roll.

Some time ago i opened a group for "Fallen Stars" Heroic 2+ quest on Taris.We got full group together.It was 2 Jedi Knights, Jedi Shadow and Scoundrel.Suddenly an epic item drops, it was generator with "Aim" stat on it.I roll greed, other knight and shadow roll need "for companion" while Scoundrel had dc.Right before they rolled Need i pointed out that everyone should roll greed because noone could use it directly.Next thing i did i kicked them out and put them on ignore.
    Making full group for soloable content: check.
    Drama about loot you replace by next day: check.
    Made up rules: check.
    Big deal out of nothing: check.

Deleted
    I would say no. Select greed if you don't need the gear and if you won it, good. Otherwise they will be a chaos!
    "Dude, I'll need it for Mako!"
    "No you stupid ass! You are merc you can heal urself, my only healz is Quinnzz"
    "LOL you mad? Shut up I want it!"

That would be go on especially for cunning gear that most healer companions use. Otherwise, BW should make a third option, "Need for Companion" but I can't really say how much of a difference it would make

Is it blue? Who cares. If it's moddable, my companion already has good mods. If it's a slot you need for your companion, look to see if that primary stat user has better/has passed. If so feel free.

I don't group with people who take upgrades for companions over someone's main character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I don't group with people who take upgrades for companions over someone's main character.
    i agree, its ridiculous how greedy some people are

Deleted
    Personally I greed...

Deleted
    I always just ask on a drop-by-drop basis if someone needs it and if they mind me rolling on it for my companion. I've gotten several pieces that way without anyone complaining.

It is OK if you make your intentions known, your group members don't mind, and most importantly: DO NOT TAKE GEAR FROM SOMEONE'S ACTUAL CHARACTER.

If all three of those are true, go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
    Only roll if nobody actually needs it. It's pretty easy if people just talk in party chat. "Hey anyone need that? Or can I snag for my companion?" and wait for responses.
    Agreed. Simplest way to handle it.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

15+ Year Old Account
    If people "greed" it, they obviously don't need it... so need on it. Simple.

HM FP regular drops suck anyways.. you do your weeklys once and you already have better gear.
    Hell, do your dailies 5 times on Belsavis/Illum, have 5 pieces of modable gear, and you're already better them tio gear.

Short answer: No
    Long answer: Only if no one else needs it and you've asked the group. Believe it or not, with 5 companions per person (6 if you count the robot) and 4 people in a group, you're likely not gonna be the only one who could use a piece of gear for a companion. Roll greed and gear them up on your own time, their gear is not too important anyway (not like you need them for any group content and solo stuff is perfectly doable with mediocre companion gear) and there's plenty of places to get it from including, but not limited to, quests, commendation gear and crafting.