Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

President Coolidge on Taxes and Liberty..where has this idea gone????

I have seen a lot of political stuff on here recently and I just ran into a clip of one of our last great presidents, this guy got it, and it still applies today.

check it out guys, this gave me goosebumps

if only we had people like Coolidge around today

President Coolidge on Taxes and Liberty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqfT85W_WE

for some reason I'm not smart enough to embed it, if someone can that'd be awesome

You know Coolidge was a shitty President, right?

Coolidge's policies directly caused the Great Depression. He was even aware what he was doing and intentionally didn't run for a second term so that the bubble he created would burst on the next guy instead of him. To call him a great president is truly baffling.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore Lord View Post
    Coolidge's policies directly caused the Great Depression. He was even aware what he was doing and intentionally didn't run for a second term so that the bubble he created would burst on the next guy instead of him. To call him a great president is truly baffling.

i bet you will also say FDR was the greatest president ever and he rescued america, that IS what they teach in school now right? do some actual research for yourself before you recite the babble you learn from schoolbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by opiaate View Post
    i bet you will also say FDR was the greatest president ever and he rescued america, that IS what they teach in school now right?
    Indeed, all the empirical evidence backs the idea that FDR's policies began to pull the US out of the Depression (although with a dip when he succumbed to pressure for fiscal austerity). WW2 finally constituted sufficient spending to finish the job, but almost as soon as FDR's policies took effect, GDP and unemployment figures rebounded. Of course, in conservative fantasy land, the exact opposite is true.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by opiaate View Post
    i bet you will also say FDR was the greatest president ever and he rescued america, that IS what they teach in school now right?
    yes... that is exactly what is taught in American public school..

and trying to make the argument that high government spending.. business regulation.. and high taxes are what made the great depression last as long as it did is considered blasphemy..

---------- Post added 2012-01-28 at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Indeed, all the empirical evidence backs the idea that FDR's policies began to pull the US out of the Depression (although with a dip when he succumbed to pressure for fiscal austerity). WW2 finally constituted sufficient spending to finish the job, but almost as soon as FDR's policies took effect, GDP and unemployment figures rebounded. Of course, in conservative fantasy land, the exact opposite is true.
    which basically means.. we need a World War every 20 years to fund government spending..
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    yes... that is exactly what is taught in American public school..

and trying to make the argument that high government spending.. business regulation.. and high taxes are what made the great depression last as long as it did is considered blasphemy..
    Not so much blasphemy as blatantly counterfactual. In '37, spending was cut, to appease the folks that thought FDR had gone too far, and the economy dipped once again. It's a more or less proven economic fact that depressed economies require additional government spending. Yes, I know, Ron Paul tells you this is false, but there's not a shred of evidence to back your claims. If you disagree, please link actual journal articles in economics, not unsupported blather.

Not so much blasphemy as blatantly counterfactual. In '37, spending was cut, to appease the folks that thought FDR had gone too far, and the economy dipped once again. It's a more or less proven economic fact that depressed economies require additional government spending. Yes, I know, Ron Paul tells you this is false, but there's not a shred of evidence to back your claims. If you disagree, please link actual journal articles in economics, not unsupported blather.
    This, soo this. You know it used to be there was a time when the conservatives actually remebered their Economics classes. Now it seems they would rather just invent lies to call facts.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    which basically means.. we need a World War every 20 years to fund government spending..
    so what are "they" going to do to get out of this current economic situation? the only logical answer is war...its coming

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post

It's hard to believe you're not just trolling. It's really hard to tell the difference between a Poe and people that are just really, really ignorant of economics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, this. Oh, i know neo-libs and liberitarians claim it's wrong...and their "evidence" is as flimsy as their economic and social ideas. Great on paper though...so long as you ignore inconvenient facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore Lord View Post
    It is a FACT that the federal reserve and central banks caused the great depression. Not a president.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    It is a FACT that the federal reserve and central banks caused the great depression. Not a president.
    Heh, yeah...certainly not unregulated stock markets, where buying on margin was the norm, nor the culture of "get rich, fast!". Nor the president and his lassiez-faire way of handling the ever-growing bubble...oh, no. No sirreh...