Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Braggia View Post
    For all of the people claiming that I did not read the article, and pointing out the part where he says he is ready for "jihad".

To Western Muslims, "jihad" normally does not mean terrorism or any kind of violence. It normally means nothing more than the personal struggle to lead a good life. I understand that in America, "jihad" is synonymous with terrorism, but that is simply ignorance.
    According to the authoritative Dictionary of Islam jihad is defined as: "A religious war with those who are unbelievers in the mission of Muhammad ... enjoined especially for the purpose of advancing Islam and repelling evil from Muslims."
    And even if the western muslims sees it as "the personal struggle to lead a good life" (against the official definition), who needs prices of assault rifles and grenade launchers, bomb/poison manufacturing instructions and instructions how to kill efficinetly in their "personal struggle to lead a good life"?

Seems that he didn't master the anti-interrogation techniques though - pleaded guilty.
    Last edited by mmoc3c5d51e875; 2012-01-28 at 04:01 PM.

Deleted
    There are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world (about 20% of the global population). Calling all of them "terrorists" because of the actions of an extreme minority is pretty much the definition of ignorance.
    I dont think he was calling all Muslims terrorists, he was implying that the ones that believe there religion means they must participate in such actions are not real Muslims (hence the supposed 'Muslims')

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    he didnt have a grenade launcher, the article said he had a list of how much one would cost. unless i missed that bit?
    my bad, sorry I was skimming over the article :P

Well, after 2 years of prison, if he wasn't gonna blow someone up -- he is now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post

yeah, if his intentions were to do something like that, 2 years in prison is not going to help, it will just postpone it for 2years.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure that people don't get arrested "only" for downloading that one thing. There are probably red flags that go up when someone downloads such material that alert the police to do some more digging. The results of said digging probably determine whether they raid for evidence or not, and the result of the raid probably determines whether they arrest the guy or not. I doubt very much that it's as simple as "download one file, get arrested".

As it says in the article, they got "tipped off" by accident by being handed that memory stick for an unrelated thing, and they investigated it further by searching his home, THEN they arrested him.
    Last edited by mmocda5f9bc64d; 2012-01-28 at 04:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiune View Post
    I'm pretty sure that he was not arrested "only" for downloading that one thing. There are probably red flags that go up when someone downloads such material that alert the police to do some more digging. The results of said digging probably determine whether they raid for evidence or not, and the result of the raid probably determines whether they arrest the guy or not. I doubt very much that it's as simple as "download one file, get arrested".

did you read the article? he had more than 1 file, there were quite a few things pointing to him doing something bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa Saurus View Post
    The fact he had a grenade launcher in his home is worrying...
    What? you don't?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    did you read the article? he had more than 1 file, there were quite a few things pointing to him doing something bad.
    Yeah edited for greater clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    Yeah, this is the other obvious aspect of idiocy to the story.

If the guy really is a terrorist, they're only going to strengthen his will by arresting him now. He'll be out of prison in a couple years - then what?

Why wouldn't they just monitor him and find out if he actually IS a terrorist after finding the USB key? If he starts putting bombs together, they get real evidence and can lock him up for life.

The way they handled this is absolutely moronic.

What I don't understand is why the Muslims that aren't the terrorists doing something themselves about their brethren that have hijacked their religion for the sake of justifying the slaughter of innocent people? It is astonishing that these "peaceful muslims" standby idle,doing nothing, not speaking out, while other "radical muslims" hide amongst them and commit atrocities against innocent people!!!

I'll end this w/,.. "If you are not apart of the solution, then you are apart of the problem!"

Quote Originally Posted by kuukl1 View Post
    According to the authoritative Dictionary of Islam jihad is defined as: "A religious war with those who are unbelievers in the mission of Muhammad ... enjoined especially for the purpose of advancing Islam and repelling evil from Muslims."
    For all the people arguing over the meaning of "jihad", please educate yourselves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

Read the entire article, not just the first couple paragraphs.

The "holy war" definition is rarely what is meant by modern non-extremist Muslims (eg: the overwhelming majority of them). The only people that associate "jihad" with "holy war" are outsiders (eg: Americans) and extremist terrorist groups (eg: the overwhelming minority).

He only got 2 years for obtaining info on how to build a bomb along with other evidence that he was seriously planning to buy weapons and use them. Unless there is something we are missing it should be alot longer on the grounds of public safety.

The least that should happen would be to add him to a no fly list and keep tabs on who he is contacting.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm not entirely sure this would fly in the U.S.

Either way, it sets a scary precedent. What if you were convicted of downloading information on how to torrent copyrighted material? Hmmmmm?

Stopped reading the article after "Pleaded guilty to four offenses". Sounds pretty clear what he was up to.

OH yeah and "Forensic analysis of the pen drive revealed the material had been downloaded in the spring of 2010." Do you really need forensics to right click>properties>read created date. haha

Deleted
    *Long read*
    I can understand if he just went on to see how they are made, it's called curiosity. But when you get a shopping list together of what it would all cost, including an AK plus ammunition... Well then I completely disagree with you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Downloading info to build bomb= Indication he was going to build one -_-
    Downloading info to build bomb= Indication he might build one -_-

He also pleaded gulity so that settle is all.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

For all the people arguing over the meaning of "jihad", please educate yourselves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

Read the entire article, not just the first couple paragraphs.

The "holy war" definition is rarely what is meant by modern non-extremist Muslims (eg: the overwhelming majority of them). The only people that associate "jihad" with "holy war" are outsiders (eg: Americans) and extremist terrorist groups (eg: the overwhelming minority).
    You cant understand why "outsiders" associate the word with terrorism when you just said extremist terrorist groups use Jihad in that connotation?

There is nothing to educate me on, I knew what Jihad meant before any terrorist acts took place and I know what it means now. Just like many other words out there, it now has multiple meanings depending on the context its used. It really annoys me when someone talks down to others when theyre the ones showing gross ignorance.

I guess its apparently the cool thing to hate America, so might as well blame us for anything you can think of. Just dont let the facts get in the way of your argument.
    Last edited by Profish13; 2012-01-28 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm not entirely sure this would fly in the U.S.

Either way, it sets a scary precedent. What if you were convicted of downloading information on how to torrent copyrighted material? Hmmmmm?
    No he would of just been spirited away to some facility to be held indefinitely without being charged. Something which i don't fully disagree with if i am being 100% honest with myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggan View Post
    Stopped reading the article after "Pleaded guilty to four offenses". Sounds pretty clear what he was up to.
    .. and that is why you missed the entire point of the article.

He pleaded guilty to four offenses of this law. Yes, he pleaded guilty to possessing information about how to build bombs.

Do you own any science textbooks? Yes? You'd have to plead guilty, too.

Tbh, you can't put someone in jail for what he might do, only for what he did.