H Yor'sahj Question

So we've put in about 3 hours into working on Yor. We are running into some issues though, that I don't know how to how to deal with as a RL.
    First of all, our comp is this:

Paladin Tank
    Druid Healer
    Paladin Healer
    Paladin Ret
    Hunter Survival
    DK DPS
    Priest Shadow
    Shaman Enhan
    Shaman Resto w/ Elem OS
    Warlock Demo

We have no issues as far as the "easy" combos go, we managed to get him to 50% before we hit a black/purple. Some of our problems are the following:

1. Healers say that they have a really hard job keeping the tank up, especially with the purple debuff. Right now I have the paladin healing a balanced R/M group, and the druid healing the group with the tank and the tank itself. The paladin has beacon on the tank, and especially for purple phases, he is spamming heals on pets so beacon heals the tank. However, according to him, his heals are only hitting him for 17k or something like that, and he feels this is not enough. I am not too sure what the druid is doing as far as the healing part goes. This all adds up to the tank getting killed.

2. The adds for purple/black. I don't have logs because for some reason they didn't record but we figured out that the damage on the adds is low. However, we've run into a problem that I personally don't know what I can do to fix it. Right now, when the adds come they will demolish one of the healers. We've been BoPing the druid when they adds are out, but sometimes we can't do it and she will get killed.

As far as strats go, I wanted to really push 1 tank 2 healer. However, people didn't seem to like it, and complained (healers) that they couldn't keep the tank up. So we decided to switch to 2 tank, 2 healer. It seems it works better for us, at least the tank is not doing as fast.

My questions are the following:

1)Should we change the strat to 3 healer, 1 tank? Is this a viable strat? If so, it would be ideal to have the shaman on the tank, druid/paladin healing their own groups.
    2)Is there a trick or something to survive the adds? It seems they just demolish people when they come out, and with the purple debuff, people start dropping.
    3)For CDs. I know to save Divine Hymn, Tranq for phases like Red/Green/Black/Yellow. However should we use like DG, AM, or something along those lines to get through Purple/black?

PS: We don't have access to a DK tank so before anyone says "get a DK tank, and faceroll", we can't do it. : (

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to some of these questions. I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Silencium; 2012-01-28 at 08:54 PM.

Deleted
    Druids are pretty shit healers for purple phase, that'd be a large part of your problem right there. Easiest fix is resto shaman and boomkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencium View Post
    1)Should we change the strat to 3 healer, 1 tank? Is this a viable strat? If so, it would be ideal to have the shaman on the tank, druid/paladin healing their own groups.
    Pally/Shaman can 2 heal it, Pally/Druid can too but it's a lot harder. It is viable to 3 heal it but your DPS would have to pull some pretty good numbers.

2)Is there a trick or something to survive the adds? It seems they just demolish people when they come out, and with the purple debuff, people start dropping.
    Not sure, in our raid the people who get focused are the hunter/mage usually. Seems to me like your DPS just aren't opening up on them fast enough and not doing enough AoE damage to kill em quick. We always found black/purple to be a joke to heal.

3)For CDs. I know to save Divine Hymn, Tranq for phases like Red/Green/Black/Yellow. However should we use like DG, AM, or something along those lines to get through Purple/black?
    Feel free, with a good pally you can make it through YRB without too many CDs. We did it last week with zero raid CDs, but we do run a pretty geared out pally/shaman.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2012-01-28 at 09:01 PM.

2 Heal it or you won't have the dps to down it unless you have a few staff users.

Is your pally using WoG on the tank? This does not add stacks. Is you tank using WoG on himself? Your tank needs to be popping CD's for the hard phases. Yellow + anything is generally harder for the healers than purple + anything else. I don't suppose you have a DK tank lying about somewhere? We pretty much trivialize tank healing for the encounter

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Druids are pretty shit healers for purple phase, that'd be a large part of your problem right there. Easiest fix is resto shaman and boomkin.

Pally/Shaman can 2 heal it, Pally/Druid can too but it's a lot harder. It is viable to 3 heal it but your DPS would have to pull some pretty good numbers.

Not sure, in our raid the people who get focused are the hunter/mage usually. Seems to me like your DPS just aren't opening up on them fast enough and not doing enough AoE damage to kill em quick. We always found black/purple to be a joke to heal.

Feel free, with a good pally you can make it through YRB without too many CDs. We did it last week with zero raid CDs, but we do run a pretty geared out pally/shaman.
    Oh really? I thought that druids were actually one of the better healers for that fight.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the paladin can Beacon the tank, and spam-heal a pet, it won't apply any stacks afaik.

Our comp is pretty similar, we killed it 2 resets ago with a prot paladin, and a resto shaman + resto druid. 1 week ago we killed it with a prot warrior and a resto shaman + holy paladin. Our 2nd kill, we had quite a bit of trouble with the prot warrior dying, but after an hour or two the new healer had adapted it seemed.

As for the black phase, make sure people know how to use their personals. Oh, and health stones ofc. Your AoE with that comp really should be enough to demolish those adds pretty quickly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silencium View Post
    Oh really? I thought that druids were actually one of the better healers for that fight.
    Not really, healing touch spam is the weakest of all the healers' kits for purple phase healing, and their AoE spam on a stacked up raid isn't superior to shaman/pally. Healing wise this fight can be divided into 2 categories, the control phases and the spam phases. Phases with purple are control where you need large single target heals and phases with spam are the stack-up and AoE your ass off ones. In this regard the balance goes roughly like this (not too sure about druid-priest relations):

Control: Pally >>> Shaman > Priest = Druid
    Spam: Pally >>> Shaman => Druid = Priest

Deleted
    Your paladin tank should use Glyph of devine protection and try to get Mirror of Broken Images and rotate his cooldowns including these 2. If done correctly healers gonna heal him ezly.

Between your sv hunter(using raptor strike) your dk and your demo lock, you should have more than enough quick burst on adds so healers don't get gibbed before the adds fixate. if you are having add dps issues, get at your hunter and your lock. They are either poorly timing cds or just not putting up numbers and if they can't do aoe then my guess is your gonna slam face first into enrage.

Hell that pally to word of glory like a mother fucker. We pally tank this as well and it really takes a lot of coordination with healers and the tank to time cd's and be vocal about stacks.

If you can pull off 2t/2h your dps is bawlin. Same for 1t/3h. Specially for your first kill. You're just gonna have to wipe to enrage a lot so the group can time cd's better and get more comfortable so they can super max dps.
    Last edited by Ankram; 2012-01-29 at 04:06 PM.

Deleted
    If you had the DK tank this you'd probably find it a lot easier. DK Blood Absorbs/shields are awesome on this fight, plus when AMS is active healers can spam the tank without building stacks.

As a prot pala i tank this by do my upmost to reduce magic damage taken and increase self healing including:
    Magic Resist Elixir
    Spell damage reduction meta
    Divine Protection Glyph
    WoG glyph

Deleted
    We 3 heal it with d-priest h-priest druid [and a paladin tank]- disc full time on the tank and herself, holy on grp1 minus the tank, druid on grp2 minus the disc. Also when we get red green black purple, we just kill off purple and spamheal.

enrage CAN happen if your dps slack/cba with pots/get bad combos, but if so just go again. Once you know the fight, hero at the start will totally wipe out the danger of enrage. We usually kill now with 1-2 mins left. (we had an enrage wipe an hour into progress, and one the week after)

We took a break for a while and are just starting this this week. And this thread is making me nervous.

We normally heal with a D-priest and a R-druid. When we need a 3rd healer, it's usually another R-druid. We lack supplemental healing from vampiric embrace or leader of the pack.

We do have a Ret paladin. Would it be worthwhile asking him to spec Selfless Healer for this and have him WoG the tank during purple phases? Or would this contribution be too infrequent to be of much value?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinsoul View Post
    We took a break for a while and are just starting this this week. And this thread is making me nervous.

We normally heal with a D-priest and a R-druid. When we need a 3rd healer, it's usually another R-druid. We lack supplemental healing from vampiric embrace or leader of the pack.

We do have a Ret paladin. Would it be worthwhile asking him to spec Selfless Healer for this and have him WoG the tank during purple phases? Or would this contribution be too infrequent to be of much value?
    If your tank isn't a Blood DK (or a really good Prot Pally I guess) then yes, you'll have a shifty time trying to tank heal with no Pally or Shaman healer.

Or better yet make that Ret learn to play Holy, your heal comp is pretty shitty for a lot of the heroics and you're wasting every single drop of holy plate gear and int shields to disenchants.