Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

They said they'll make PvP gear better than PvE gear in all cases.

Here's how I imagine how: Resilience will also increase dmg to players.

edit: It might sound like a 'full circle' but it's not. It basically locks people out of PvE gear which is another path and only gives them the path of PvP gear. And since PvP gear should be given easily to beginners (otherwise good players would be called 'overgeared' and wouldn't be able to prove they are good to anyone), it would make it easy to only seek PvP gear in PvP [and waste no time in grinding rare PvE items].
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2012-01-29 at 11:15 PM.

That would make sense, although I predict it would completely destroy any balance that's left. Damage in PvP is way too high anyway, despite resillience and higher health pools etc., and also kind of leads to this moronic Cata design where healers have to be almost unkillable for a single dps class in order to even have any right to exist as healers, and every class needing completely ridiculous and unfitting self-healing abilities.

If they add a damage component to resillience, the globalling madness, especially with higher gear levels, would completely get out of hand - more that it already is.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2012-01-29 at 11:19 PM.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    it would make it easy to only seek PvP gear in PvP
    this is what they said theyre trying to do. i think you just contradicted yourself. im not sure what you mean.
    Last edited by DiscoGhost; 2012-01-30 at 02:08 AM.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    That would make sense, although I predict it would completely destroy any balance that's left. Damage in PvP is way too high anyway
    I imagine they might increase the health of players. Or, more neatly, decrease the sources of damage globally.

Deleted
    Resilience will fix it!

And by "it!" I mean everything - they'll make it reduce damage for everything as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimoron View Post
    Resilience will fix it!

And by "it!" I mean everything - they'll make it reduce damage for everything as well.
    On a slightly related note, I never understood why they had made it to reduce crit and not dmg for so long. Yes, there was that first idea I had then "because crit can kill suddenly" but it is obvious that some classes or gear builds just don't use crit so much.

People saying Blizzard were smarter in the old days have no idea what they're talking about. They were basically 'trying things'.

That's a possibility. One thing I've thought of is PvE gear will give a huge ammount of negative resil, making PvE gear very unattractive.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    in swtor expertise (which is the resilence counterpart) reduces the dmg you take from players, increases your dmg from players and increases the healing done to players.

so i would be surprised if the op isnt correct.

Deleted
    ^ healing is a good idea. Because healers are basically damagers with negative damage:)

Yeah, it basically needs:

DPS: reduced dmg to you/increased dmg to others
    Healer: reduced dmg to you/increased healing to others

Hrm, it could be extended to a 3rd 'increase healing to you' but that's probably too far since healers have that as well.

That's a possibility. One thing I've thought of is PvE gear will give a huge ammount of negative resil, making PvE gear very unattractive.

i like this idea so much right now lol

I don't see how most of these are a good fix, but no I don't have the answer either.

Resil increasing damage to players doesn't help PVPers get into PVE. And I'll drop the game if they make it easy for PVEers to PVP but not vice versa.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I don't see how most of these are a good fix, but no I don't have the answer either.

Resil increasing damage to players doesn't help PVPers get into PVE. And I'll drop the game if they make it easy for PVEers to PVP but not vice versa.
    Forgive my bluntness but that doesn't make sense because Resilience will not make it easy[*easier] for PvErs to get into PvP.

Also, PvP should be easy in gear. It was for years the opposite, locked gear only to those with high ratings. But that was horrendous, beginners didn't have a chance and good players couldn't even properly prove they are skilled, they were called overgeared. It was bad both for the beginners and the veterans.

Human vs Human gaming in any game shouldn't have overgeared people, at least not for long (max a month). Leave overgearness for fighting Dragons where Dragons don't mind and Dragons scale up gradually according to content. This game was initially designed for that, not for human enemies.

^ healing is a good idea. Because healers are basically damagers with negative damage

Hrm, it could be extended to a 3rd 'increase healing to you' but that's probably too far since healers have that as well.
    That sounds interesting, but if pvp gear increased healing on others, it would be better than pve gear, don't you think? Will it only increase healing on those with a pvp flag? Whole raids will flag themselves for pvp then.

Also this whole concept of Blizzard sounds like a contradiction. On the one hand, they want to bring pve and pvp items closer to each other, but on the other hand they state, that pvp gear will be best for pvp and vice versa.
    Right now, you will get killed very fast with pve gear. So what is going to change? You don't die as fast, but you do less damage to other players while using pve gear? The outcome is the same: You can't kill a pvp player as a pve player (assuming you'll get bonus damage with resilience items) and healers will profit from pve items.

This whole approach needs clearing up imho.
    Last edited by Arazen; 2012-01-30 at 08:42 AM.

Deleted
    It would only do it to players. It's easy to be done technically. They already do it with resilience. It doesn't decrease dmg in PvE.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arazen View Post
    That sounds interesting, but if pvp gear increased healing on others, it would be better than pve gear, don't you think? Will it only increase healing on those with a pvp flag? Whole raids will flag themselves for pvp then.

Also this whole concept of Blizzard sounds like a contradiction. On the one hand, they want to bring pve and pvp items closer to each other, but on the other hand they state, that pvp gear will be best for pvp and vice versa.
    Right now, you will get killed very fast with pve gear. So what is going to change? You don't die as fast, but you do less damage to other players while using pve gear? The outcome is the same: You can't kill a pvp player as a pve player (assuming you'll get bonus damage with resilience items) and healers will profit from pve items.

This whole approach needs clearing up imho.
    yes in swtor the pvp stat (which also is only found on pvp gear) will only increase healing to a player that is involved in pvp combat. it will not work in a pve setting. i dont know how this is coded in the game but i have friends who have tested it.

that being said, i think that the blue pvp set in wow should really be free. i honestly see nothing wrong with this but then again maybe im blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Arazen View Post
    Also this whole concept of Blizzard sounds like a contradiction. On the one hand, they want to bring pve and pvp items closer to each other, but on the other hand they state, that pvp gear will be best for pvp and vice versa
    I had the same thoughts. I think they will add more utility to the pvp items, just like those on the gloves. If damage and health of pvp and pve are equal but the gear has different utility buffs you will want the utility for your kind of playing. Damage and Health were rather equal, so the transition from pve to pvp and vice versa would be easier but pvp gear would be superior because of the utility buffs.

But it also could be anything else, i am just guessing here

TOR's increased healing keys off the Trauma debuff (healing is reduced by 30% when directly engaged in PvP), I suspect.

The only possibillity for this theory to work is if players would have a static resi, like say that all players take 75% reduced dmg from other players at all times.
    And that resi would lower that amount, kinda like armor/spell penetration works.

Wich seems like a very plausable way to go considering how the blue post explained their idéa with the whole thing

^ healing is a good idea. Because healers are basically damagers with negative damage

That's not a good idea. Healers would get a double benefit because reducing the dmg basically *does* make their heals more powerful. It would basically mean:

DPS: dmg taken reduced, damage done increased (negates each other when everyone's wearing resilience)
    Heal: dmg taken reduced, healing done increased (DOESN'T negate each other)

If you want to treat healers as "negative dmg dealers" resilience would also have to reduce healing taken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Widget View Post
    The only possibillity for this theory to work is if players would have a static resi, like say that all players take 75% reduced dmg from other players at all times.
    And that resi would lower that amount, kinda like armor/spell penetration works.

Wich seems like a very plausable way to go considering how the blue post explained their idéa with the whole thing
    They won't go with just dmg reduction, well, I unless they do it wrong, since the main problem is people that believe will not be damaged at all and hence go for stacking PvE stats.

e.g. most of the high ranked frost mages right now have ridiculous setups of PvE gear: 1 Tier13 leg, 1 or 2 trinkets, sometimes a back and another item, then the legendary. Some of them reach about 40%+ PvE gear. They clearly think they won't be damaged much.
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2012-01-30 at 10:19 AM.