As was evident from the title; I've recently got myself a banjo and I'm learning to play it. Teaching myself at the moment. Although it's not entirely likely that I'll find someone here who plays the Banjo, I might as well ask in the hope that somebody knows.

Firstly; in regards to right-hand positioning on the Banjo; I've seen quite a few people say that you should rest two of your fingers on the skin on the banjo whilst playing. My question is; is it completely necessary? Because I have an absolute nightmare of a time trying to do that, It's much easier for me just to keep all my fingers free whilst playing the Thumb, Index and Middle finger; as when I have them down, I always screw up with middle-finger picking as my ring finger involuntarily shifts and stops the string.

Secondly; although I suppose it might be personal choice, would I be better off going for Metal or Plastic Finger and Thumb picks?

Really though, my main issue is my picking and right hand positioning at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.