Need advice on components

Hello guys,

I've been reading mmo-champion for about 7 years now and this time I have made an account so I could post this.
    I need some help regarding my new pc. I've been building my own pc and I could use some advice on some of the parts I have selected.
    I am new to this and will list as much information as I can, please let me know if you miss information.
    This is what I have selected right now:

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
    HDD1: Samsung Spinpoint F4EG HD204UI (2 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-300 -buffer: 32 MB) (5600 RPM 2TB for all files)
    HDD2: Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ (1 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 tpm -buffer: 32 MB) (7200 RPM 1TB for fraps)
    SSD: Crucial m4 (128 GB - intern - 2.5" - SATA-600) (128 GB for OS and 2/3 heavy games)
    Graphics card: Club 3D Radeon HD 7970 (Radeon HD 7970 - 3 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16)
    Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K / 3.3 GHz (L3 6 MB) (I have been told that the Intel Core i7 2600K would not make that much of a difference)
    Processor cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B SCMG-2100
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4 GB (DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 (ATX - LGA1155 Socket - Z68 - USB 3.0, FireWire - Gigabit Ethernet)

What I would like to do with this pc:
    Obviously gaming (duh), but what is important to me is that I can fraps without having a fps drop. Games that I'd like to play and record are WoW, SWTOR, BF3 and perhaps games in the future. I have selected a fast 2nd HDD to fraps to.

If anyone can give me any help that would be greatly appreciated.
    Can this pc perform the way I want it to?
    Will all these parts work together? The webshop will set up my system and make sure it works, but It'd be nice to know if there are some parts that won't work together.

Thanks alot in advance,

Dj

I would say this machine would absolutely be able to fraps WoW. Other games I'm not sure. I have an i5 2600k (overclocked like crazy) and a terrible video card (even though fraps is cpu based) and I do just fine. One thing though, you dont need more than 30 fps while recording. I have heard of people lagging because they're recording at too high of a frame rate. You could probably play and record at 30fps easily with that machine. I have essentially the same machine and I do it

As for the i5, if you have the budget, may as well go with the i7. Technically, its not that big of a difference NOW. When hyperthreading with applications molds better, the performance will more than likely be significantly higher than it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    the reason people lag at frapsing at 60fps, and not at 30fps is dependent on the hard drive. fraps writes to a hard drive and if you have it writing to a slow hard drive, or a hard drive that is also being used by other applications, that is when you will start seeing lag. Fraps will see minimal improvements from CPU, GPU. It's bottleneck lies with the HDD.

I disagree with Infinity1337, there's no reason to go with the i7 2600k over the i5 2500k unless you plan on doing intense editing or 3D rendering, by the time games start using hyperthreading, the 2600k will be old tech.

As for your build, it looks good. I'm not going to say that you'll see no difference between when you're running FRAPS and when you aren't, but the difference won't be anything to fret about.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think your build looks amazing. Just make sure the RAM is the vengeance low profile - it makes everything so much easier when dealing with any heatsink installation. I personally don't like the Scythe for a cooler - I'm on board with the A70 for lower cost or the Noctua For the high cost coolers. A70 (seen in my sig) being the closer of the 2 to your current budget.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've taken everything into consideration (with other threads on different websites aswell) and I have ordered my PC.
    The other websites gave the same replies you did, so that's comforting.
    Thanks again

Regards,
    Dj

noteworthynerd please realize that I said applications not games. I realize that games are applications, but again, I still believe that if you have the money, you can spring for it. Also, there are programs now that can use all the hyperthreading tech. More programs are being built towards it. Think of it as an investment towards the future. Yes it may be old tech, but its still relevant.

Also yes recording at really high speeds is truly dependent on the hard drives right now. You will find that when you're frapsing, your FPS will go down to 30 (if you have it set at 30) This is perfectly normal.

I recognize the difference between "applications" and "games", but the OP said that this will be a gaming (+ FRAPS) computer. That being the case, needlessly spending money of the i7 2600k is silly; the i5 2500k is as good as the i7 2600k in most gaming benchmarks (and even better than the 2600k in some), but costs ~$100 less, saving money while receiving nearly identical performance is a no-brainer, in my book.

Like you said, the i7 2600k could be considered more future-proof (if and when games finally start using hyperthreading), but, like I said before, by the time that happens it will likely be time for a new build.