Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How do you deal with trolls?

I'm not new to trolling by any means. You encounter is often when you play WoW or do just about anything on the internet. Recently I have started to play on a new WoW server. I am not a new player to the game either. 5 year player and just needed a change in servers but didn't have the money to xfer and race change my character so I figured why not just reroll entirely. I am consistently checking the realm forums page just to get a feel for the server and see what guilds are recruiting.

Right away anyone notice that there is a certain player that has his name on every forum post. Literally EVERY forum, he chimes in with either; trolling, bashing, negative comments, or just being a not so nice person. I foolishly made a post around the lines of "New player to server LF semi progressed guild to raid with." In minutes the post is filled with this guys trolling and bashing of my character, who hit 85 2 days ago. Goes into something like "my character is in tier 3 morging, I am 2/8 HM progressed in 25 man (lol), and I am the GM of this guild so people respect me. I mean really?

Just curious how you deal with forum troll on the WoW forums specifically. I have never had to deal with one so persistent! I have been reporting his posts correctly as they are generally either trolling or just bashing. Just curious as to what else can be done?

Edit: Removed my forum post - don't want to try any extra attention to the post.

Deleted
    You don't go on the official WoW forums if you want to retain your sanity.
    Not even realm forums.
    Especially not realm forums.

Ignore them, report if necessary, if not just move on. That's the only possible way to ever deal with a troll.

Deleted
    Don't feed him. Just ignore him

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you ignore a troll he'll try a little harder and then just give up.

I infract them and delete their posts ^^

If they're in the Roleplaying or Minecraft forums here...

But to be serious, I just ignore them, report them if they were especially bad, and move on doing whatever I was doing prior to a troll coming in and trying to muck it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    if it's a forum i ignore them, if it's a 1 on 1 conversation i just type ROFL after every trolling line.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't, that's how. Trust me, that's what works best every time.

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    I infract them and delete their posts ^^

If they're in the Roleplaying or Minecraft forums here...

But to be serious, I just ignore them, report them if they were especially bad, and move on doing whatever I was doing prior to a troll coming in and trying to muck it up.
    Can we get little gold starts next to our name if we're really nice and bribe you with all the things you like? I want gold stars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    You don't go on the official WoW forums if you want to retain your sanity.
    Not even realm forums.
    Especially not realm forums.
    I'm actually starting to see this lol.

Deleted
    If he's been doing that in every thread on that realm forum everyone knows that he's an idiot anyway.

Just ignore him and nobody will care.

Quote Originally Posted by mewmew111 View Post
    I'm not new to trolling by any means. You encounter is often when you play WoW or do just about anything on the internet. Recently I have started to play on a new WoW server. I am not a new player to the game either. 5 year player and just needed a change in servers but didn't have the money to xfer and race change my character so I figured why not just reroll entirely. I am consistently checking the realm forums page just to get a feel for the server and see what guilds are recruiting.

Right away anyone notice that there is a certain player that has his name on every forum post. Literally EVERY forum, he chimes in with either; trolling, bashing, negative comments, or just being a not so nice person. I foolishly made a post around the lines of "New player to server LF semi progressed guild to raid with." In minutes the post is filled with this guys trolling and bashing of my character, who hit 85 2 days ago. Goes into something like "my character is in tier 3 morging, I am 2/8 HM progressed in 25 man (lol), and I am the GM of this guild so people respect me. I mean really?

Just curious how you deal with forum troll on the WoW forums specifically. I have never had to deal with one so persistent! I have been reporting his posts correctly as they are generally either trolling or just bashing. Just curious as to what else can be done?

Edit: Removed my forum post - don't want to try any extra attention to the post.
    Don't even acknowledge that he posted just pretend he's not there (it will drive him nuts) when he realizes he isn't getting any attention he'll move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    As people have said: just don't give him what s/he wants (attention).
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I out-troll them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cptmyname View Post
    I out-troll them.
    Chances are you're just getting trolled on another level if you try this.

As a troll, I can tell you the only answer is to ignore them, COMPLETELY, if you go gtfo troll or say ANYTHING prior to ignoring them, they've won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

They want attention so you ignore them and they'll get bored.

you dont deal with them, you just ignore them...

If they're blatantly or absurbly obvious, i ignore them.

If they're less obvious you really only have two choices: responding to them logically to point out how .... they are. Or you can assume most/everyone is a troll, withholding information, ect, derail threads and point out how .... you are.

Trolls only "win" if you let them. If they want to look like .... then all the power to them! But coming off as .... to the rest of the community is not "winning." No matter how much they want it to be.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-01-30 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Only one man in recorded history handled a troll right. Unfortunately, he went to jail for it. There is a lesson in here: as astonishing as it might seem, trolls have human DNA and must be treated as such.

http://kotaku.com/5845389/grown-man-...l-of-duty-game
    Nope, troll still won. Kid is my hero actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

I flash them with high powered UV light, they either turn to stone or explode.

In all serious though I ignore the blatantly obvious ones. The ones i don't really mind are the subtle ones. It's more effort for them to keep it up than it is for me to answer them properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I deal with WoW forum trolls? I don't. The mods got heavy handed and banned me for life over something stupid (apparently this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI is "offensive language" . . . w/e) So I don't even bother visiting that cesspool anymore.

But to be serious, I just put them on ignore and move on.
    Putin khuliyo