Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Where does ret sit at the moment?

Have a tankadin without much in the way of an offspec and well - holy pally is very not my thing (too many memories of being the heal/buffbot pally back in vanilla).

How well can you expect to do as ret in raids if you REALLY know you're stuff? I tend to hit top 3 regardless of what i'm dpsing on class wise so generally pretty good at the whole hurting things side of play. Do I have a chance of greatness as ret or is it rather down the charts at the moment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Have a tankadin without much in the way of an offspec and well - holy pally is very not my thing (too many memories of being the heal/buffbot pally back in vanilla).

How well can you expect to do as ret in raids if you REALLY know you're stuff? I tend to hit top 3 regardless of what i'm dpsing on class wise so generally pretty good at the whole hurting things side of play. Do I have a chance of greatness as ret or is it rather down the charts at the moment?
    If you're asking about PvE raiding, it's midpack at the moment. Raidbots should be able to give you more detail based on which type of raid you're in as to where ret will perform:

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/
    Chronic Sufferer of A.D.H.L.A.S. (Attention Deficit Hey Look A Squirrel)

Deleted
    in guilds unless your top 250, it's mostly your on personal skill, tbh i'd recommend you taking a pvp offspec, it's a very enjoyable part of the game a ret offspec is pvp i consider would be much more beneficial to your fun you have in the game.
    i used to be pve based solely,but after spending some time in pvp on countless alt's + main i am really enjoying the game a lot more.
    as far as ret being viable, no armoury link so i can't judge skill, but my main advice to you is that if you want to make it as a ret, you can, but if you want to beat good fire mages on the meter's your gonna have to know your retribution spec well.

To be honest, I'm kinda on the top (I never go under 5, mostly in top 3 or so) but I suppose the warrs and others in the guild are just baddies.

EDIT: I'm in top 100 guild
    Last edited by 6ev4enko; 2012-01-30 at 10:13 PM.

Like many classes it can do well with lots of gear and good rng. It does have extremely strong burst and fast target swapping as well which put it at an advantage for fast-kill high priority targets.

So yeah, if you don't want to heal, ret isn't doing too bad right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BDF View Post
    Like many classes it can do well with lots of gear and good rng. It does have extremely strong burst and fast target swapping as well which put it at an advantage for fast-kill high priority targets.

So yeah, if you don't want to heal, ret isn't doing too bad right now.
    This ^ is true assuming you have the 4 piece bonus & good luck with RNG since ret is extremely RNG dependent.

If you don't have both of those however ret can be extremely annoying which in turn will lead you to realize just how little of your DPS is because of skill & how much is because you got lucky procs.

That being said if you don't want to completely reroll & gear another character for DPS ret will work if you can put up with the holes in it's design.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

I'm MS holy with a ret OS and in raids I come out midpack among our regular DPS. My gear is definitely worse, and I wouldn't make any big promises regarding my skill as ret. :P But based on that I'd say yeah, ret would be worth giving a shot. It doesn't lag behind anymore, though it still depends a lot on rng.

Well, I play rogue, enhance and DK to fairly high standards as well as tanking on Dk + pally + bear. Hitting things with weapons seems to be my thing.

what could possibly go wrong! right? RIGHT?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

As you can see from raidbots parses, paladin dps is almost worst dps class in the game (and shaman is worst). Mages will spec fire and outdps you, warriors will spec arms and outdps you, priests will outdps you, rogurs will spec combat and outdps you, DKs will spec unholy and outdps you, warlocks will spec affliction and outdps you, druids will spec balance and outdps you, hunters will spec surv and outdps you. The only class which has worst dps options than paladins is shaman at the moment. And yes, as raidbots uses top 100 parses, you should understand that these paladins whose logs were used, are extremely, extremely lucky, because retri dps is really RNG dependant at the moment. So if your dps is higher than any dps' in your raid except shammys they are playing wrong spec, undergeared or just don't know how to play their class. Actually, it depends not exactly on retri paladin class nerfs but on the DS nature. On Ultraxion, the patchwerk of 4.3., retri pala results are good.

Meh it's gear dependent and RNG dependent. Don't expect to be number 1 unless in a terrible guild, expect to be in the middle, or if you are really good Top 5 or so.

ret gets very good when you hit 2 piece tier 13 it makes it less clunky.

After mages wars and rogues, everything rest is beatable if you have glyph of l2p, ofc you can beat those 3 class too, if they dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Megraam View Post
    As you can see from raidbots parses, paladin dps is almost worst dps class in the game (and shaman is worst). Mages will spec fire and outdps you, warriors will spec arms and outdps you, priests will outdps you, rogurs will spec combat and outdps you, DKs will spec unholy and outdps you, warlocks will spec affliction and outdps you, druids will spec balance and outdps you, hunters will spec surv and outdps you. The only class which has worst dps options than paladins is shaman at the moment. And yes, as raidbots uses top 100 parses, you should understand that these paladins whose logs were used, are extremely, extremely lucky, because retri dps is really RNG dependant at the moment. So if your dps is higher than any dps' in your raid except shammys they are playing wrong spec, undergeared or just don't know how to play their class. Actually, it depends not exactly on retri paladin class nerfs but on the DS nature. On Ultraxion, the patchwerk of 4.3., retri pala results are good.
    What raidbots are you looking at?

Switch raidbots to All Parses and look at Ultraxion 25H, Ret is higher then mid pack and is about 1-4k difference from the dps above it.
    Last edited by davep; 2012-01-31 at 05:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NaaBcAke View Post
    After mages wars and rogues, everything rest is beatable if you have glyph of l2p, ofc you can beat those 3 class too, if they dont.
    Ret is fairly straightforward & not all that complicated unless your a complete idiot.

In many cases it's simple RNG issues since RNG makes up an absurd amount of the specs dps, self healing & off healing potential.
    The only classes that even come close to Ret when concerning RNG issues is fire mages & enhancement shaman and both of them have those problems lessened by better gear where as ret sadly doesn't.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    What raidbots are you looking at?

Switch raidbots to All Parses and look at Ultraxion 25H, Ret is higher then mid pack and is about 1-4k difference from the dps above it.
    Actually, it depends not exactly on retri paladin class nerfs but on the DS nature. On Ultraxion, the patchwerk of 4.3., retri pala results are good.
    I hope you've read my whole post. Here is the link: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Scor...14/30/default/ Latest month, top 100 parses from each fight. Even enchancement shamans now are better than retri paladins making us worst DPS class.

Even enchancement shamans now are better than retri paladins making us worst DPS class.
    Despite what that says Enhacement and Boomkin are not better than Ret as of right now.
    With the buff to AP, the quality of life change to LnL and black arrow behaving more as it should, Surv might be on par or slightly better, we're still one of the better DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Veliane View Post
    Despite what that says Enhacement and Boomkin are not better than Ret as of right now.
    With the buff to AP, the quality of life change to LnL and black arrow behaving more as it should, Surv might be on par or slightly better, we're still one of the better DPS.
    It will be nice to see some proof from you which will overrule worldoflogs parses.

Quote Originally Posted by kernera View Post
    ret gets very good when you hit 2 piece tier 13 it makes it less clunky.
    One reason I stopped with ret, is it seemed clunky. Just sad when you need X gear for your class to flow good.

It will be nice to see some proof from you which will overrule worldoflogs parses.
    Heroic Morchok. 3 Boomkins in the top 100, DoT uptime, Rets can't stand in the black for more than a few strikes.
    Rets appear again at 125. The first Enh comes at 282th.
    Heroic Warlord. Rets start appearing at 247. Boomkins at 297, more Rets than Boomkins, First Shammy at 394.
    Heroic Yor. Lots of Enh and Boomkins before Rets, their AoE is a lot better so commonly, if DS could only spread a 5 Censure stack.
    Heroic Hagara. Lots of Boomkins and Rets, more druids namely due to less setup burst and better AoE. First Enh shammy is long forgotten somewhere in the 427.
    Heroic Ultraxion. A patchwerk type fight, first Ret at 187, 6 more before an Enh shows up, i stopped counting at 30 and I didn't see any boomkin and like 5 Enhs only.
    Heroic War Master. Lots ofs boomkins, less rets, still quite a few, I got lost trying to find a shaman, I think there's one in page 19.
    Heroic Spine. 7 Rets within the top 50, only 1 Moomkin, no shammies.

Out of 9 fights: 3 goes to rets, 3 goes to druids, 1 goes to shamans.

TLDR: Druids win when they can multidot and blow anywhere else, what is a shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Veliane View Post
    Heroic Morchok. 3 Boomkins in the top 100, DoT uptime, Rets can't stand in the black for more than a few strikes.
    Rets appear again at 125. The first Enh comes at 282th.
    That's a flawed way to compare such a heavy RNG spec as Ret. Apparently you missed the point why people use Top100.