Win8 preview/open beta for new machine?

I've seen a few people recommend using the Windows 8 developer preview and forthcoming public beta as their OS, in lieu of purchasing a Win7 license at this date.

Is anyone actually doing this? New machine with Win8 as first and only OS? And if you are, have you run into any compatibility/stability issues with any hardware or software? I don't doubt such issues exist, hence the idea of a public beta, but I was wondering if anyone had first-hand experience, know of particular programs/hardware that definitely don't play nice at this point in time, etc.

My curiosity is piqued.

From all I have seen of Win8 it looks like the microsoft phone's setup. Overall I am not sure if I like it yet, but I have only seen some pictures and videos. It just looks.... well, it looks bad imo.

Ive tested it briefly and I can say that for me its right up there with windows 7, while not finished its still pretty awesome.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boley View Post
    From all I have seen of Win8 it looks like the microsoft phone's setup. Overall I am not sure if I like it yet, but I have only seen some pictures and videos. It just looks.... well, it looks bad imo.
    It has the options to be used like Windows 7 or other classic versions of Windows. Last I heard you don't have to use the Phone-look of it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    There are different styles you can use. I can't recall the name off the top of my head, but there's the sort of 'phone' looking style and there's the traditional desktop one that you can use.

installed it in a vm today and so far its not for me

Its very mobile phone looking, not what i look for in a computer OS.

By default it will launch into the "Metro" or phone-like UI but the desktop is only a click away.
    That behaviour can be changed via a registry entry, but it has other side-effects so is not worth it.
    Maybe a proper option will appear in a later build but time will tell.

So far my experience has been fairly positive performance-wise, but the metro ui and certain usability gripes getting in the way.
    One many people are vocal about is the difficulty in finding how to shut it down.

Aesthetics aren't the kind of thing that has universal acceptance regardless of the implementation.

Performance, though, tends to be quantifiable, which I guess it what I care most about. After all, how long do you spend looking at windows UI as opposed to programs that fill the screen anyway?

Anyway, I'm tempted to try Win8 from the get-go, since I hate the idea of buying Win7 now and then wanting Win8 (which I'm not sure I will) not long afterwards. Seems wasteful if the preview/beta is completely functional.

I'm guessing no one is actually doing this, then.

Anyone know what kind of academic discounts exist for US students for Win7 licenses, if any exist?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensesNonsense View Post
    I'm guessing no one is actually doing this, then.

Anyone know what kind of academic discounts exist for US students for Win7 licenses, if any exist?
    I know at my personal college, they have a premium account with Microsoft's DreamSpark program, which gives you one free download of a TON of software. Some of the software is:

Windows 7 64 bit (Home Premium, Professional)
    Windows Vista 64 bit (didn't look into versions)
    Windows XP SP3

etc. I suggest speaking to the Computer Tech./Business devision at your college and seeing what you can get. Just for having a .edu email address I believe you should be able to get Win7 for like $30, I think that is 64 bit Home Prem.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Well, the honest part is that I've been out of college for a decade, but have a sister who is still in college, haha.

I am hoping she can be convinced to aid me.

I develop on win8 for our software company so I deal with that windows preview every day. TBH, I wouldn't want it as my primary OS as it tends to crash often. Maybe when the RC clients come along it will be more stable.

Sweet, that is exactly the specific experience I wanted to hear about. Thanks.