Deleted

Beginner's questions

Hello, i just bought/DLed the game yesterday and havent even started playing, got some questions which i'd like to get answers to:
    1)Is Empire more populated than Republic? I prefer to play the less populated side in all MMOs, so would like to know how is it in this game.
    2)Which server to play on? I definitely want a PvP English speaking server, but which one? Low, normal, heavy populated? Definitely low population might mean less lags/queues, but also less people to play with, less goods at the market etc. Which server exactly would you recommend and why?
    3)Im sure i want to play a pure ranged DPS class, which one would you recommend? Which ranged DPS class has most fun/easy gameplay/mechanics, good storyline, good end-game possibilities, good-looking gear sets etc.?(That is the most important question for me right now, choosing a class is hard, i want to make the right decision, dont want to start over later and i dont like having alternative characters, only main one)
    4)Which professions would you recommend taking and why? Which would be the most useful/profitable while levelling and when im at the max level?
    Thanks for your answers

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thread was caught in the spam filter.

1.) It varies on a server-by-server basis, but Imps are generally more populated than Rep.

2.) You can check out this site: http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats The numbers aren't hard data though. We don't have that information.

3.) I'm partial to the Republic Commando, but you can check out all the classes here: http://www.torhead.com/player-classes

4.) Professions that you want to take are dependent of what class/type you play: http://www.oldrepublic.net/258-crew-...endencies.html

Deleted
    so what are the best professions for a ranged trooper?
    Scavenging>Armor(or Arms) Tech >Underworld trading/Investigation?

Best Profession is still Biochem hands down.

No matter how they change it you can't beat the value of this profession, especially if you raid.

If you like making armor, weapons ect you can try one of the other professions, they are not going to yield much in the way of profit since the competition you have will be pretty stiff at this point in the game.

You can always change your mind at 50 and regrinding is not hard at all since you will have 5 companions to do your bidding.

1) The Empire does out number the Republic on most servers.

2) I play on Kaas City, which is a PvE server, so not what you are looking for. As far as queue times, most servers may now reach a heavy load, mine was last night, but I haven't seen any queues or heard of any since about a week after release. Most servers I saw last night were listed as Standard (Medium)

3) I play a Trooper Commando (DPS) and enjoy it. Other options, would be DPS Consular Sage, Smuggler Gunslinger. On the Empire, Mercenary Bounty Hunter, DPS Inquisitor Sorcerer, and Imperial Agent Sniper.

4) To respond to you question about Commando professions, on mine I have Armormech / Scavenging / Underworld Trading.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Best Profession is still Biochem hands down.

No matter how they change it you can't beat the value of this profession, especially if you raid.
    Well, they can.
    1. Armstechs: your weapons are indestructible (optional, makes item bop), zero repair bill for your Orange/Epic weapons. Also they punch a little more. Requires 400 AT.
    2. Armormechs: your Orange/Epic armor is more durable and breaks 2 times slowly than normal gear (optional, makes item bop). Also give bonus to main stat. Requires 400 AM.
    3. Synthweaveing: same as AM
    4. Artifice: same as AT, in addition Artificers can create transparent crystals, that can be of any (ANY available, including purple, teal, white, magenta) color on demand (like switching a color of already inserted crystal by a click of a button) and are twice as powerful compared to normal crystals of the same quality. Makes crystal bop and requires 400 Artifice.
    5. Cybertech: has grenades already, also can have special CT only summoned droid that heals (buffs main stat for) player (CT) periodically.

I prefer more populated servers because the queues take less time and there are more people to interact with.

Deleted
    Thanks all of you for the answers
    Did a Trooper at Legions of Lettow, looks fun, for now at least Hope this will be my main and only character and i wont regret not choosing another class for ranged dps ^^
    Not at the point of choosing professions yet, so will decide which a bit later. But thanks for the professions info, useful stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    4. Artifice: same as AT, in addition Artificers can create transparent crystals, that can be of any (ANY available, including purple, teal, white, magenta) color on demand (like switching a color of already inserted crystal by a click of a button) and are twice as powerful compared to normal crystals of the same quality. Makes crystal bop and requires 400 Artifice.
    More info please.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktem View Post
    More info please.
    Those are not real abilities, the poster was just saying how it could be improved, none of those features actually exist.

1) On the whole yeah republic is less popular. Changes by server though.
    2) Most don't have very long queue times, but otherwise I would say try a server that is mostly full but doesn't run into queue times on friday/saturday nights.
    3) There is only 1 (per side) class that is a pure ranged dps, and that is gunslinger (or sniper). But you have to deal with the cover mechanic, at least a little. But you can do dps trees for other classes that can heal or tank, no silly hybrid tax unless you actually put points into those other trees. Commando has heavy armor and a big gun with some offheals. Sages have light armor and bubbles, as well as some offheals. So there are 3 solid options for a ranged dps class. Each with at least 2 specs for ranged dps (and a ton of hybrid mixes).
    4) As others have said right now biochem is the best at max level, can sell consumables as well as makes re-usable versions of those consumables that are BoP. Hard to beat free buffs. So with biochem you want bioanalysis for gathering materials and diplomacy for the rare materials (or go slicing while leveling for free money and switch to diplomacy at 50).

10+ Year Old Account
    Artifice already has a handy bonus in the BoP relic. All Bioware needs to do is make it a little better, as right now a crit/surge BoP relic is only a few points better than the ones that drop in HM FPs. Or even better, give us a recipe to make BoP lightsaber hilts or off-hands. You could even make it a drop for all I care.

Also, Biochem isn't necessary for your main. It's more expensive if you're making things from your alt, but not exorbitantly so since you only need to make blue adrenals and stims, not purple. Sure I'm splitting hairs and it doesn't make much of a difference unless you know you're going to level multiple characters, but it means Biochem isn't absolutely required.

In terms of classes, you might want to try a consular-sage as well. They're closer to a standard mage archetype than other classes are, although trooper-commando comes close.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild