Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Was botting really that bad?

Since Blizzard legally had PvPtools shut down the price of obsidian/elementum ore has gone from 30-40g a stack to 150-200g a stack with hardly any supply. Before I could buy 100-200 stacks a day now Im lucky if theres 10 stacks a day for sale. I thought maybe it was my server only so checked a few others and never saw ore under 100g a stack. So now everyone gets to see why the bots were actually good.

1. Price of ore has skyrocketed
    2. Price of blue quality gems has as well
    3. Price of enchants again went up because of the cost of prospecting tons of ore and crafting/DEing the green gems for the mats

Hope everyone is happy that you cant bot anymore and you all enjoy paying 5 times what you were.

This works the opposite way too. You can make 5x more by selling mats. So yes, totally worth it.

Botting REALLY REALLY was that bad. I mined during the heavy botting days, and I mine now (and herb as well).

When Botting was at its peak, mining manually was not so fun.
    The Bots drove the manual miners and herbalists out of the game.
    (manual gatherers = gatherers where the toons doing the gathering are being played by a real person,
    not a program).

The free market WORKS OVER TIME.
    As mining gets more profitable (it is VERY profitable now),
    more and more people will do it. In the meantime, miners get lots of profit.

Also, part of the explosion in the price of ore is the huge demand for red gems.
    300g interno rubies puts a pretty high floor on the price of elementium ore.

You spend more, but you also have the possibility of earning more. And you know the gold you're spending is actually going into people who put effort into getting it, instead of a bot.

Its a simple part of economics, but spending more in legit products is eventually more productive to the economy in general than spending less in illegal products.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    SNIP

Hope everyone is happy that you cant bot anymore and you all enjoy paying 5 times what you were.
    Let me get this straight: you are actually supporting cheating mechanisms to play a game the way it was not intended?
    Pull my tail

At 100g a stack of ore I will still buy 100-150 stacks and of that 15k spent I make that back in cut Rubies alone. Not to mention the other rare gems, greens that I make into rings/necklaces and DE for mats. or I will make purely metas with the greens and the last time I bought 35k worth of ore ive made well over 250k back. Sounds like a great profit.. and im supporting REAL people now, not your friends hacked account that uses an illegal program to follow a specific route for days/weeks without a real person there to do squat about it.

You keep your illegal crap and I will support people that take the time to earn thier gold.

Deleted
    Is it just me, or are you contradicting yourself, you whine that ore is expensive, so you cant buy them cheap, but you forget that you earn more from prospecting it now, probably an even steeper increase than the pure ore costs. I'd say this change would allow even the AH speculants to make more money, if they play it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    Let me get this straight: you are actually supporting cheating mechanisms to play a game the way it was not intended?
    Cause im sure theres nothing in your house that was made by an 8 year old in a factory in SE asia? Really is no difference.

Most bots are normal players.

"Chinese Gold Farmers" dont exist anymore, it is more profitable for them to phish idiots and strip their accounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bots are like Walmart, They rip off local stores, drive them out of business and outsource to china.

All things that make the economy bad in the big picture for some cheap useless crap in the short term.

Cause im sure theres nothing in your house that was made by an 8 year old in a factory in SE asia? Really is no difference.
    There is a huge difference. Unknowingly owning something that was made with child labor doesn't make you a supporter of child labor.

Deleted
    It wasnt bad it dropped the Prices on most Servers to a normal Level.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfPanzerkin View Post
    This works the opposite way too. You can make 5x more by selling mats. So yes, totally worth it.
    and what are you gonna do with all the Gold if not selling ?
    Last edited by mmoc0fd79c8fc0; 2012-02-01 at 05:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    There is a huge difference. Unknowingly owning something that was made with child labor doesn't make you a supporter of child labor.
    Actually ignorance of where your products come from is your responsibility your liable.

Totally worth it.

Large numbers of non-daft legitimate gatherers were previously disincentivized out of the market so there'll be a period of higher prices, and even after people start to realise gathering is more profitable the prices still won't be so low, but I'd much rather pay a standard player - or be that standard player - who goes and gets the gold.

If some people get laid off a nice job farming a computer rather than farming a field/factory/whatever, I'm somewhat sad about that... but frankly I don't regret their absence in games even if it causes inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say yes, botting really was that bad. Lower supply may mean higher prices, but the prices scale up relative to the other items creating higher profits all around. It's pretty basic economics. Plus, with the bots gone, a person can skip the AH and go farm their own ores with a very reasonable expectation of success.

So not only do you support game cheats to get an edge, probably because you feel inferior without them, but you don't mind child labor also?
    Pull my tail

first of all, botting is against EULA and is bad

but lets take a look at this 'phenomena' theoretically
    1. Impact on players
    - gatherers - bots are pressing players out of market selling hundreds of stacks for dumping prices
    - crafters - they have easy accessible and cheap crafting materials, which is rather good

2. Server economy
    - monetary base POV - if bots arent selling gathered materials to vendors, they dont create additional inflow of gold to economy, selling materials at AH is just a redistribution of existing gold
    - overall server efficiency - more materials for crafting -> more crafted items -> more people can afford new shiny epic -> more people can kill some new bosses -> better server progress overall

cmon be serious, botting is crap. What kind of game will wow be, when botting is tolerated.

but i must say, blizzard has much work2do, i know they are many bots still online

Deleted
    Botting is completely against Blizzards TOC if you get banned for it qq tough. You broke the rules no one to blame but your self.

I really don't see the point in paying for a game then buying a piece of software to play that game for you. Seriously where is the logic there, is the acquisition of virtual items that don't actually exist that important to people? Where is the sense of achievement in having a script play the game for you that you've payed to play? I mean realise grinding honor or mats can be time consuming or boring but you don't have to do it all at once and the sense of achievement you get when you earn a reward for something you've actually worked for is far more satisfying.

Deleted
    Meh i don´t mind that the prices on ores is so high now got alts for a reason