1. #13321
    Herald of the Titans The Illusive Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    It may be anthropomorphic to say this but I absolutely think it did require humanity. If Asari were writing this game then I guess it would require Asari but since the writers are (I presume Human) then no matter what the genre or setting were writing with what Faulkner described as the human heart in conflict with itself. Of course the only people who can resolve that are humans.
    I think that the Asari or heck even the Krogan could have achieved what Shepard achieved because actually if you look at it then Shepard is "just" an ordinary Commander that got lucky enough to touch a Prothean Beacon on Eden Prime and thus went from "zero to hero" literally. Of course he is cool and knows how to motivate his squad but actually Shepard had nothing more than anyone else. Heck even the Shadow Broker dossier for Garrus says that he is a better leader than Shepard but Garrus just prefers to subordinate to Shepard.

    If the Asari had a person that was in Shepards role, which stumbled right into a Prothean Beacon then I assure you that they possibly achieved what Shepard achieved and defeated the Reapers.

    I just replayed the whole trilogy lately and I was kinda shocked how lucky Shepard got throughout the 3 games. Everyone with a strong will (like Saren) could have found the Beacon and received the vision. It´s not like Shepard is the only hope for the galaxy because I assume that there are more heroes out there that could do what he did.

  2. #13322
    Old God Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1337 View Post
    I keep getting the damn Geth SMG and Collector SMG (4 times in a row), I really need the Carnifex/Reegar/Harrier for some of my builds. In other news finally got the Black Widow muahahah, after an eternity and a half.
    I still don't have the Black Widow. Been almost a year.

  3. #13323
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,458
    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    I think that the Asari or heck even the Krogan could have achieved what Shepard achieved because actually if you look at it then Shepard is "just" an ordinary Commander that got lucky enough to touch a Prothean Beacon on Eden Prime and thus went from "zero to hero" literally. Of course he is cool and knows how to motivate his squad but actually Shepard had nothing more than anyone else. Heck even the Shadow Broker dossier for Garrus says that he is a better leader than Shepard but Garrus just prefers to subordinate to Shepard.

    If the Asari had a person that was in Shepards role, which stumbled right into a Prothean Beacon then I assure you that they possibly achieved what Shepard achieved and defeated the Reapers.

    I just replayed the whole trilogy lately and I was kinda shocked how lucky Shepard got throughout the 3 games. Everyone with a strong will (like Saren) could have found the Beacon and received the vision. It´s not like Shepard is the only hope for the galaxy because I assume that there are more heroes out there that could do what he did.
    Hell, if Shepard hadn't tried to push Kaiden out of the way of the beacon, we'd be playing the game as Commander Alenko.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  4. #13324
    Robin Sachs (The voice actor of Zaeed) has passed away..

    tinyurl.com/b27v36f

  5. #13325
    Herald of the Titans The Illusive Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Hell, if Shepard hadn't tried to push Kaiden out of the way of the beacon, we'd be playing the game as Commander Alenko.
    Yeah he stole that vision from Kaidan That´s how Commander Shepard became the leading Prothean specialist in the galaxy. If Kaidan received the vision like he would have without Shepard then he would have tried to do exactly what Shep tried to do in ME1 (making sense of the vision).

    It is said in ME1 that one needs a strong will to survive that vision from the Beacon but you see how Saren receives the vision prior to Shepard and walks away unscathed (Shep was unconscious because of it). That shows that Shepard is not that strong willed after all and that there are others that could have received the vision in his stead.

    If I think about it then it would have been great to play as Asari commander instead of Shepard. I play SciFi games because I want to get to play as something not human and that´s why ME would have been better with an alien protagonist. Of course we identify more with a human hero but imagine Joker and the crew all were Krogans or Asari Nice twist

    BTW: The whole "Save Earth" shit sounds pretty stupid in ME3. Why would the other species send all their fleets and troops to earth? It´s not like it is something special. Of course after the reapers moved the Citadel to earth it makes sense to gather there but before? Shepard looks stupid in his first meeting with the council. Shep basically wants them to leave their homeworlds behind and immediately go with him to earth. That´s silly !!
    Last edited by The Illusive Man; 2013-02-07 at 01:33 PM.

  6. #13326
    Old God Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,357

  7. #13327
    Herald of the Titans The Illusive Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,558
    HAHA that pic fits perfectly.

    What would you do as councilor if Shepard showed up and basically told you to leave your homeworld behind and send your whole forces to earth to save the humans?

    "Yeah sure thing Shepard" is what Shepard wanted to hear at the first meeting with the council in ME3. Is Shep really that dumb and thinks that the Asari, Turians and Salarians would go with full force to earth just because it got attacked?

    Yeah stupid plot is stupid. Would the Humans do the same for the other species if they weren't attacked first but instead the Asari got the first hit? Nah Shep would prolly say "Sorry but I can´t help the Asari and I will not send all troops to Thessia !!"

    BTW: Who made Shepard a diplomat in ME3? He was a Soldier in ME1 and 2 and suddenly he negotiates with whole species

  8. #13328
    Was told at work last week that Robin Sachs recently died (the voice actor for Zaeed) Such a shame Old news i know.

  9. #13329
    Bloodsail Admiral Mordin Solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    tuchanka
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    HAHA that pic fits perfectly.

    What would you do as councilor if Shepard showed up and basically told you to leave your homeworld behind and send your whole forces to earth to save the humans?

    "Yeah sure thing Shepard" is what Shepard wanted to hear at the first meeting with the council in ME3. Is Shep really that dumb and thinks that the Asari, Turians and Salarians would go with full force to earth just because it got attacked?

    Yeah stupid plot is stupid. Would the Humans do the same for the other species if they weren't attacked first but instead the Asari got the first hit? Nah Shep would prolly say "Sorry but I can´t help the Asari and I will not send all troops to Thessia !!"

    BTW: Who made Shepard a diplomat in ME3? He was a Soldier in ME1 and 2 and suddenly he negotiates with whole species
    actualy i believe that if thesia got hit first, that sheppard would jump in head first and try to bring as much allied forces as he could
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

  10. #13330
    Herald of the Titans The Illusive Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordin Solus View Post
    actualy i believe that if thesia got hit first, that sheppard would jump in head first and try to bring as much allied forces as he could
    Of course Shepard would try to gather forces to help Thessia but Shepard is not the Alliance. He is an ordinary Commander (not even Admiral or Rear Admiral) so he could not decide to gather the whole Alliance fleet at Thessia like he demands the other species to do.

    He would try to save Thessia for Liara´s sake that´s true but not with full Alliance force yet he wants the Asari, Turians and Salarians to do exactly that. Humans would also try to secure their world first if Thessia got attacked first.

    The "Save Earth" thing makes not sense for me.

  11. #13331
    Bloodsail Admiral Mordin Solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    tuchanka
    Posts
    1,133
    well my understanding of me3 is that he first went to the council for backup for earth but then found out that other worlds are also under atack although from the knowledge i gathered, not as hard as earth so i'd say it would be simpler for sheppard to try to also free those planets and gather all the forces where the reapers were atacking in force. because according to harbinger, they perceive the humans to be a greater threat so they most exterminate them at all costs with the biggest brunt of their forces
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

  12. #13332
    Old God Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,357
    Operation: NIGHTFALL (Feb 8th-10th)

    Event Description: Our concentration on Reapers and Cerberus forces has allowed Reaper-controlled geth to flourish in pockets outside of the Perseus Veil. Our quarian-led and quarian-advised forces will be the key to terminating a geth offensive before it gains ground.

    Individual Goal: Playing as any quarian kit, earn 50,000 points versus geth troopers.

    Reward: Commendation Pack

  13. #13333
    Mechagnome Nazrark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordin Solus View Post
    well my understanding of me3 is that he first went to the council for backup for earth but then found out that other worlds are also under atack although from the knowledge i gathered, not as hard as earth so i'd say it would be simpler for sheppard to try to also free those planets and gather all the forces where the reapers were atacking in force. because according to harbinger, they perceive the humans to be a greater threat so they most exterminate them at all costs with the biggest brunt of their forces
    As far as the Reapers knew, the only known destruction of Reaper during the time of that cycle was by humans. In their mind, the humans are on top of the power pyramid for being able to do that. Sovereign and the Omega 4 base had both been taken down by the Humans, now if it was the Turians who brought them down. I'm pretty sure Palaven would of gotten gang raped by the Reapers instead of Earth.

    Origin & LoL Username: Vaklaruush
    Friend Code: 0173 2722 8584

  14. #13334
    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    I think that the Asari or heck even the Krogan could have achieved what Shepard achieved because actually if you look at it then Shepard is "just" an ordinary Commander that got lucky enough to touch a Prothean Beacon on Eden Prime and thus went from "zero to hero" literally. Of course he is cool and knows how to motivate his squad but actually Shepard had nothing more than anyone else. Heck even the Shadow Broker dossier for Garrus says that he is a better leader than Shepard but Garrus just prefers to subordinate to Shepard.

    If the Asari had a person that was in Shepards role, which stumbled right into a Prothean Beacon then I assure you that they possibly achieved what Shepard achieved and defeated the Reapers.

    I just replayed the whole trilogy lately and I was kinda shocked how lucky Shepard got throughout the 3 games. Everyone with a strong will (like Saren) could have found the Beacon and received the vision. It´s not like Shepard is the only hope for the galaxy because I assume that there are more heroes out there that could do what he did.
    Shepard isn't just an ordinary commander though. Shepard is YOU. He's your character. He's your guy and your mouthpiece and your avatar in the game. If the Asari had a shepard then it really wouldn't be YOU. It's harder (although not impossible) to have that affinity for something not human.

  15. #13335
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Was told at work last week that Robin Sachs recently died (the voice actor for Zaeed) Such a shame Old news i know.
    That's a bummer. He wasn't really that old either.

  16. #13336
    BioWare says the next entry in the Mass Effect series may not be set after or before ME3, or even feature any of the same characters. http://l.gamespot.com/Ydwq5Z

    Sounds like they want it to be a whole new adventure, rather than an extension of the Commander Sheppard story. Are you on board with this idea?
    I don't understand =/

  17. #13337
    Calling it now, alternate timeline.

  18. #13338
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    If the Asari had a person that was in Shepards role, which stumbled right into a Prothean Beacon then I assure you that they possibly achieved what Shepard achieved and defeated the Reapers.
    But the Asari did. Remember the Asari had their own Prothean beacon and they had centuries to study it and learn from it. And what did they do? Kept it secret until the last possible moment. They never did fully explain just what the beacon did to Shepard and why the collectors and Illusive man were so hell bent on having Shepard as opposed to just finding someone else that is strong willed and a leader.

    Bioware heavily implied that Shepard was key to the events without ever explaining why.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 06:41 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    As far as the Reapers knew, the only known destruction of Reaper during the time of that cycle was by humans. In their mind, the humans are on top of the power pyramid for being able to do that. Sovereign and the Omega 4 base had both been taken down by the Humans, now if it was the Turians who brought them down. I'm pretty sure Palaven would of gotten gang raped by the Reapers instead of Earth.
    Even then though why did the collectors focus on humans? They could have culled the Quarians and hardly anyone would have known or cared. Bioware did focus a little on how Humanity is different from most of the other races because of its culture and view points. But it never really explained just why the Reapers were so interested in Humans.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 06:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I don't understand =/
    I don't think Chris Priestly understands either. The game has to take place before, during, or after the events of Mass Effect 1-3. I think what he meant to say is to treat it as its own stand alone game rather then a continuation of the first three games.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  19. #13339
    "Calling the next entry Mass Effect 4 is doing it a disservice" ... well until they announce the official name I will continue calling it ME4 because it will be the fourth game in the franchise/universe. >.>

  20. #13340
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    "Calling the next entry Mass Effect 4 is doing it a disservice" ... well until they announce the official name I will continue calling it ME4 because it will be the fourth game in the franchise/universe. >.>
    Indeed. I know it might not be the fourth game chronologically, but it will be the fourth ME game produced. That makes it ME4, for the time being.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •