2600k i7 overheating?

Hello there everyone, my actual first post here, always been reading these forums and now and i am in need of dire help, or at least i think so, please bare with me as English isn't my main language.

I recently bought a new system build and it has been working perfectly til recently, i noticed that my CPU temperature keeps scaling up and more towards extended play time (+4 hours, while raiding and pvping on SWTOR) at first it reached 58*C, the initial temperature that i get at system start is 32*C, as i start playing video games (in specific SWTOR), my temp rises from 32-35*C to 48*C, after an hour of playing the game it keeps rising to 58*C, then after a couple hours more it rises even more to 66*C reaching a maximum peak of 71*C, i am afraid that either my current CPU cooler is just busted, and well after two years of good use it might had been the right time to just bust up.

My current setup is the next:

Intel DP67BG
    Intel i7 2600k 3.4 ghz
    Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler

The cooler temperature ranged under load is supposedly to work under this circumstance;

Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H50 High-performance air cooler Standard CPU fan
    Temperature
    Idle (°C) 38.375 43 47.95
    Temperature
    50% load (°C) 42.5 49 57.55
    Temperature
    100% load (°C) 55.85 62.5 79.85
    (Using a test system built using a popular gaming case and an Intel Core i7-965 processor overclocked to 3.46GHz with a vcore of 1.3V, the following results were obtained) - Taken from the Corsair Product front web page.

as you can see, the max temperature reached under 100% load is 55.85*C or at least they say so, and am reaching 71*C under less 100% load, 75% tops, please if anyone could tell me what is going or a suggestion that isn't go buy another model or better and yeah i don't have money to buy another CPU cooler, thanks for taking your time on reading this and posting any suggestions.

15+ Year Old Account
    take off the heatsink, clean the heatsink and the CPU, reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink. see if the makes a difference in temperatures
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

dont use cheap paste either.

make sure its not thick, nor too thin, even coverage. make sure you have enough air flow in the case aswell. temps shouldnt be that hot.

good luck

I've used a 10 USD Thermaltake compound but i cant recall which one it was, there wasn't any other on my nearest store, is that way too cheap?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with those temps in the slightest. H50 is not quite as good as the later versions.

Lets say I've reapplied the thermal compound, after cleaning of course, and temps still go as high as 70-80*C will it damage my processor if it keeps these constant temps?

10+ Year Old Account
    No. 80C is fine, but should not be reached on 3.4GHz with a H50. If that's the case, something is wrong. Or maybe your climate is really really hot.

Regarding thermal paste, remember that less is more. Really. Just a tiny dot. Finished.

It won't damage your processor in the sense that you're probably thinking. Those are just not pristine temps. They are the load temps you would see with a 4.8-5ghz overclock and a slightly better cooler. The idle temp is oddly high though which to me is more confusing than the load temps.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    With first generation i series Intel chips I find a thin line of paste made in an X on the CPU gives me the best thermal spread. You may find the same. Considering it only takes minutes to test, it is worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How old is the CPU itself? It is entirely possible the chip was faulty to begin with.... In which case you should contact your supplier as soon as possible. Even if you don't arrange a replacement chip right now... Make sure they are aware of the situation. (Which will make replacing the chip much easier at a later date)

Have you been able to test the temps with the Stock cooler? and are you sure your screwing in the retention nuts at the back of the mobo properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    How old is the CPU itself? It is entirely possible the chip was faulty to begin with.... In which case you should contact your supplier as soon as possible. Even if you don't arrange a replacement chip right now... Make sure they are aware of the situation. (Which will make replacing the chip much easier at a later date)

Have you been able to test the temps with the Stock cooler? and are you sure your screwing in the retention nuts at the back of the mobo properly?
    Havent used the stock cooler at all, i thought the H50 would be way better (and less noisier).
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    With first generation i series Intel chips I find a thin line of paste made in an X on the CPU gives me the best thermal spread. You may find the same. Considering it only takes minutes to test, it is worth it.
    Its at much, one month old, i bought this last Christmas season.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteNuve View Post
    No i haven't used the stock cooler at all since i thought the H50 would be better and less noisier.
    Its a 2nd Generation i7, yet i didnt apply as X, rather as a a size of a pea.
    I melded your test system and your system in question together. My bad there. Regarding the 2600K running a consistent 70 to 80c that isn't unheard of. I have set up numerous 2600K's that I have found run hotter than I'd expect on stock or even an aftermarket cooler such as the Coolermaster Hyper 212. It is surprising you are seeing this temp with an aftermarket cooler though, I would almost want to test the stock cooler on it to see how it performs in comparison. Might just be a bad cooler.

I am currently testing all of the compounds possibilities, ty everyone for your help, really appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    I would almost want to test the stock cooler on it to see how it performs in comparison. Might just be a bad cooler.
    I'd tend to agree with this... Try out the stock cooler with the stock thermal pad (if it hasn't degraded) But I also wouldn't rule out a chip issue. Like I said before, make sure you call up whoever you bought it from (and speak to Technical Support NOT sales!) Make sure you log the call Time, Date and What is said. You will likely be able to return it for a new chip if the stock cooler still continues to perform with similar temperatures.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 01:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DanteNuve View Post
    I am currently testing all of the compounds possibilities, ty everyone for your help, really appreciated.
    I Know alot of people will recommend trying different thermal compounds /pastes but there temp difference between each compound is rarely more than 5degrees. Beyond that it's down to either not using any, or using wayy too much.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd tend to agree with this... Try out the stock cooler with the stock thermal pad (if it hasn't degraded) But I also wouldn't rule out a chip issue. Like I said before, make sure you call up whoever you bought it from (and speak to Technical Support NOT sales!) Make sure you log the call Time, Date and What is said. You will likely be able to return it for a new chip if the stock cooler still continues to perform with similar temperatures.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 01:43 PM ----------

I Know alot of people will recommend trying different thermal compounds /pastes but there temp difference between each compound is rarely more than 5degrees. Beyond that it's down to either not using any, or using wayy too much.
    I currently use an H50 with 2 * Scythe S-Flex 1900 fans on an i7 920 overclocked to 4,2GHz, the i7-2600k is by all means cooler then the one i have and i do not reach 80 degrees C unless it's summer and i'm being pelted by the sun and it's 40 degrees C in my room aswell (no Airco!!!), by no means should the i7-2600K be that hot, i'm inclined to think your screws may have loosened or your thermal paste is gone.

It's not the highest end of the Corsair Hydro series, but it's by no means a slouch in any case.

(I haz H100 with 4 * Scythe Gentle Typhoons 4250RPM waiting for LGA2011 when i do upgrade )

Deleted
    Question: did you throttle your fan to maybe max out at a certain RPM for noise purposes? Try and monitor how fan speed scales with temperature.