10+ Year Old Account

Tanking Guardian/Juggernaut soloing capability lacking?

So, I've reached level 50 on my guardian. I've got my average gear rating up to around 112, and I'm trying to complete the Ilum daily unlock quests so I can boost my gear... But here's my catch-22: Everything feels like a slog.

I might be less squishy than other classes, but if I don't keep a healing companion out stuff just dies too slowly on Ilum and I get whittled down. If I have the healer out, stuff dies, I don't, but it takes a small ice age to kill anything. I've tried straight defense and a hybrid spec. It takes too long to kill stuff. I'll actually blow all my defensive cooldowns and use my companion as a human shield to get through a cave full of mobs rather than fight them.

Don't get me wrong, I love my guardian and want to move forward as tank for my guild. I loved the Jedi Knight storyline. But good GOD I'm sick of trying to fight anything with him. It just takes too bloody long for it to die, or I die.

Is it just me, or has anyone else been finding this with their guardian/juggernauts?
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main is a juggernaught and I have no problem soling stuff, of course 2 or 4 man heroic quests I cannot if thats what you mean and /i do not even need a healing companion. Just got quinn maxed affection so am using vette and no problems I just have to actually use my regen after 2-3 pulls.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

put your pocket healer in his dps stance.

he'll still heal but do more dps.

or so ive read anyway.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Did you keep your dps companions gear up to date? My Juggernaut isn't 50 yet but my dps companions on my smuggler seem to do plenty of dps.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gear up a bit more, the Ilum stuff is nasty (I`m talking the H2 quest). I can do it, but I have epic gear on both me and companion. However, it depends a bit on the RNG (2 healer silver spawns suck, and I barely manage even with ulti; 2 non healer spawns I don`t even need to pop cds), and it can involve some kiting and LoS.

(Ab)using those cds is something normal. Personally, I used a DPS companion all the way in leveling, and I didn`t have much trouble. Also, stuff dies pretty quick this way. If you feel that an area is too difficult, rotate your cooldowns* through packs, and regen often. * = I don`t only mean the pure survival ones, but also the control ones. Two 1-min cd stuns, knockback with stun followup (Charge), AoE disorient, etc.

Oh, and gear makes a hell of a difference. 112 is normal for a fresh 50, but it`s low. You can get ~126 in most slots without having to struggle too hard (meaning: dailies), and once you get that, you will see what I mean.

Deleted
    Char: Jedi Guardian (defense spec) level 50.

As soon as I dinged 50 I went straight to Belsavis to do the bonus level 50 heroics and dailies then to Ilum with no problems at all on either planet. My average gear level was 49-50 due in part to keeping Cybertech up to date and having the Epic level 49 Armoring pieces.

I have also kept Doc and Kira up to date on gear all the way through, I switch between the two depending on the number of mobs in a pack, and also do not underestimate AFFECTION level (Kira is maxed out Doc is around 7k). High Affection / Presence helps massively the higher the level you are and when taking on harder content / mobs - low affection / presence could be why you are struggling, I would suggest this may be the case as when I use Lord Scourge or T7 they die insanely fast even with relatively decent gear.

Kira for me, I feel does INSANE damage, together we can burst things down before they even make a dent on my HP - if on the same target ofc, that coupled with Medipacs and using defensive cool-downs / interrupts / knockdowns make a BIG difference to soloing content.

I have no complaints with my Guardian, its survive ability or the damage output

Deleted
    you could always try rage spec guardian/jugg for soloing

I don't have problems with my Jug, can solo 2 & (4 mans, but 4 is quite the challange) i am in 126 gear though. Immortal spec.

I have to admit i found it hard when i first dinged 50, even had trouble with normal Ilum mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post
    put your pocket healer in his dps stance.

he'll still heal but do more dps.

or so ive read anyway.
    Nah, dont do it.
    Quinn can heal quite effectively, but you need to turn off all his dps skills, keeping on all healing abilities.
    When you turn on dps stance and keeping on dps and healing skills, healing will be poor, same as dps.

I agree dps as full tank spec and tank gear aint fast, but nice solution is to use Jedi companion, gear her up with orange gear, mod up. (you can buy it on market).
    Invest in willpower on your companion, turn on all her abilities, and she will dps as fast as you, using all your best dps skills. So you will kill twice fast.
    Sure you need to learn what is your potential, and switch to Quinn if you see pack of strong opponents, and kill slower but you will stay on legs.