10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Now Romney may be lying through his teeth on multiple occasions. But don't point it out or you're a fascist.
    Are we caring about the opinions of columnists now?
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Are we caring about the opinions of columnists now?
    Did I ever say we didn't?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I ever say we didn't?
    Personally I could give a fuck what a columnist thinks of either candidate. Fan of independent thought and all that. I just want the facts.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.

Now Romney may be lying through his teeth on multiple occasions. But don't point it out or you're a fascist.
    Im more interested in why his faith hasn't been brought up more.
    He was in an openly racist religion while he was an adult and the Mormon church's leadership claims to be prophetic just like that of the Catholic church and I believe Kennedy was under fire because of it?

How the media treats issues is important.

---------- Post added 2012-10-14 at 11:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    He was in an openly racist religion while he was an adult and the Mormon church's leadership claims to be prophetic just like that of the Catholic church and I believe Kennedy was under fire because of it?
    You don't get to question the religious views of conservatives over here.

10+ Year Old Account
    How the media treats issues is important.
    So...you're claiming bias? Or what?

You don't get to question the religious views of conservatives over here.
    Wrong.

So...you're claiming bias? Or what?
    I'm pointing out a particularly bad analysis from a major media outlet. Do you have a problem?
    Wrong
    Oh please. Obama got racked over the coals one way then the other over complete nonsense tied to his religion. You can hardly even point out Romney is a mormon before people get their vapors up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It hasn't shown through in his past as governor of Massachusetts, and it isn't apparent in his bid for the presidency, so why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    It hasn't shown through in his past as governor of Massachusetts, and it isn't apparent in his bid for the presidency, so why bother?
    If the people of Massachusetts didn't care to have the question answer then fine, but he's asking the rest of the country to vote him into office in a party that has a serious problem separating religion from government. Its a fair question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it apparent that his views are affecting his policies any more than the GOP's Christian slant is?

Is it apparent that his views are affecting his policies any more than the GOP's Christian slant is?
    Its honestly impossible to tell what his views are. The only reasonable prediction I can see is that he'll play the party line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why I don't see why his Mormonism is an issue. The GOP party line is enough of a reason for me not to vote for him.

Difference is that protestants do not answer to anyone.
    Catholics answer to the Pope who claims to be infallible and Mormons answer to their own prophetic leadership.
    If the leaders of the mormons called up Mitt and told him to do something after he becomes President do you think he would do it or not?

And that still doesn't address the part where the Mormon church was openly racist while he was an adult and member of the church.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why I don't see why his Mormonism is an issue. The GOP party line is enough of a reason for me not to vote for him.
    I tend to agree that his Mormonism does not deviate substantially from the Christianity-based GOP party-line to make his particular religious ideas stand out or really make it feel like they're determining his outlook more than the GOP.

I do agree that I share a concern of how dominating the Mormon church can be over it's members, I don't like the idea of any elected leader holding another worldly organization higher than the position they were placed in. Looking to God in general as a guiding light in things is fine and all, he's got some good standards for human behavior. His messengers tend to lose sight of the bigger picture though.

And that still doesn't address the part where the Mormon church was openly racist while he was an adult and member of the church.
    I can't fault Romney for being part of a religion that did bad things. You believe what you believe, and sometimes people who believe the same things are assholes, that's not your fault.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2012-10-15 at 12:53 AM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I tend to agree that his Mormonism does not deviate substantially from the Christianity-based GOP party-line to make his particular religious ideas stand out or really make it feel like they're determining his outlook more than the GOP.
    What will you do if he bans coffee!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Start drinking Mormon bloo...I mean water. >.>
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Straight out rebellion.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I can't fault Romney for being part of a religion that did bad things. You believe what you believe, and sometimes people who believe the same things are assholes, that's not your fault.
    I can fault Romney for being part of a religion WHILE it did bad things. He isnt just some lowly follower.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Ro...rch_leadership
    He was a high ranking person in the faith even before they were prophetically inspired to no longer be racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can fault Romney for being part of a religion WHILE it did bad things. He isnt just some lowly follower.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Ro...rch_leadership
    He was a high ranking person in the faith even before they were prophetically inspired to no longer be racist.
    He was the leader of a single congregation and you're conflating him with someone who was in charge of the entire religion's policy. He did not hold that power.

Just, be kind.

He was the leader of a single congregation and you're conflating him with someone who was in charge of the entire religion's policy. He did not hold that power.
    No. Im not blaming him for not changing it - im blaming him for being part of it. Did he consider black people inferior till the year of 1978?