Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Why? They have stated that they have no intent to change abortion as it currently stands.

This is where somebody says that they can't trust them though.
    No, we'll say that you're misinfromed about what Ryan's actually said. Here's some quotes from the debate the other night:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan
    But the policy of a Romney administration will be to oppose abortion with the exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan
    ...I'm saying is if you believe that life begins at conception, that therefore doesn't change the definition of life. That's a principle. The policy of a Romney administration is to oppose abortion with exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother.

Yeah merging social conservativism and Objectivism has never been very hard for the far right.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    How is defining life as life crazy?
    Because you don't understand what he meant by that.

And because you hate women. Edit: No, really, Grokan, I'm going there again.

/shrug.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

/shrug.
    Then what did he mean by that?

And why do I hate women?
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

How is defining life as life crazy? Personally I think that defining a child conceived by some other method than traditional back-seat action as not alive as a pretty fucking crazy position.
    Believing an embryo is a child isn't regular crazy, it's completely off the wall, batshit, bugfucking, what-the-fuck-is-this-guy-talking-about crazy.

Yes, I realize something like 35-50% of people hold that belief. That doesn't make it less crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Believing an embryo is a child isn't regular crazy, it's completely off the wall, batshit, bugfucking, what-the-fuck-is-this-guy-talking-about crazy.

Yes, I realize something like 35-50% of people hold that belief. That doesn't make it less crazy.
    He didn't say baby, and that's not what I'm arguing. He said (and I agree) that life is life, the definition of life doesn't change based on the source from whence it came.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.

Then what did he mean by that?
    What spectral said.

Read the fucking quote. That's why you hate women.

What spectral said.

you feeling all right belf?

10+ Year Old Account
    What spectral said.

What Spectral said had nothing to do with the quote. Baby and life aren't even spelled alike. The man said life. I'd defending his statement as is.

And I'm just going to go ahead and say you hate puppies, ponies, smores and shoe laces. Because nonsensical, baseless accusations seems to be what the cool kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    you feeling all right belf?
    Nope. I'm not ok with rape or incest, and I'm not ok with anyone who thinks a woman should be forced to be ok with the results of it.

Period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I'm not ok with rape or incest, and I'm not ok with anyone who thinks a woman should be forced to be ok with the results of it.

Period.
    Oh, I forgot this was a sensitive subject to you.

I can clear this up: where have I advocated anything at all that you just listed? I'll save you the trouble: nowhere at all, that's where.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I think Ryan is a closet Atheist.
    Would not surprise me even slightly. In today's Republican party, you're either a champion of the church, or you're going nowhere. I'm going to guess that a lot of Republicans are maybe not closet atheists, but definitely presenting themselves as more religious than they actually are.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, we'll say that you're misinfromed about what Ryan's actually said. Here's some quotes from the debate the other night:
    I found this quote to be interesting:

My religion defines who I am. And I've been a practicing Catholic my whole life. And it has particularly informed my social doctrine. Catholic social doctrine talks about taking care of those who — who can't take care of themselves, people who need help.
    We're worried about Mitt Romney's religion influencing his policies, but this is from Biden. I think I understand what the response is going to be, though, and I don't take issue with him saying this when considering what the result of this influence is. Or, what he says the result of the influence is, anyways.

/shrug.
    I didn't say anything. >.>

Oh, I forgot this was a sensitive subject to you.

I can clear this up: where have I advocated anything at all that you just listed? I'll save you the trouble: nowhere at all, that's where.
    You haven't. Paul Ryan has.

He didn't say baby, and that's not what I'm arguing. He said (and I agree) that life is life, the definition of life doesn't change based on the source from whence it came.
    Cows are alive, we eat them. Insects are alive, we crush them. Bacteria are alive, we extinguish them in many orders of magnitude. Human cells are cultured and killed routinely. If one doesn't pretend that an embryo is a person, it's wholesale irrelevant that it's technically alive.

If someone says their faith tells them to take care of those in need that's pretty different than someone saying their faith is telling them gay people can't get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I found this quote to be interesting:
    We're worried about Mitt Romney's religion influencing his policies, but this is from Biden. I think I understand what the response is going to be, though, and I don't take issue with him saying this when considering what the result of this influence is. Or, what he says the result of the influence is, anyways.
    I agree that this is of interest, and I don't like what Biden said in that particular bit at all. I think using religion to arrive at conclusions is a very, very bad idea. That said, Biden made clear that he doesn't believe in imposing his beliefs on others; Ryan made the opposite clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If someone says their faith tells them to take care of those in need that's pretty different than someone saying their faith is telling them gay people can't get married.
    I know. That's why I added why I understand that it's not an issue for him to say that. I just found it interesting, and I'm surprised people haven't taken it out of context as an attempt to play the "See, they do it too!" game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't grow a beard. Damn you, Northern European genes.

Edit: Well, I kind of can. But it's just sideburns, a creepy chin and neck beard and a rapist mustache...
    Northern European genes nothing. Maybe you got a lousy copy, but it's pointless for me to try anything except a beard. When "clean shaven", i get a 5 o'clock shadow by noon and perma-stubble just doesn't work with my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The thing is - they dont need to be in the US - just on flights going to the US.
    technically, but it's optimal to use the plane soon after takeoff. if you're at the end of the flight, you don't have as much fuel to do damage with.

10+ Year Old Account
    You haven't. Paul Ryan has.
    Then stop telling me I hate women? Because I'm genuinely a fan. I was a fan when they were a 1-15 expansion team, before they were cool.

Cows are alive, we eat them. Insects are alive, we crush them. Bacteria are alive, we extinguish them in many orders of magnitude. Human cells are cultured and killed routinely. If one doesn't pretend that an embryo is a person, it's wholesale irrelevant that it's technically alive.
    I think you're still off on a tangent attacking something I haven't said. So I'll just let you roll on as you see fit.