15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Anybody else get the feeling that these conventions are sort of the E3 for politics? Politicians give out tidbits of information throughout the year, and then during the convention they unveil what they think will drive interest in their favor. You get people to come up and speak, akin to having developers show off their games on your system.
    Pretty much. The only difference is the conventions and everything else Mitt has said so far contain ZERO details on the "video game" he is developing. Instead it has been nothing but "games produced by this other developer are really bad" and "our game is going to do amazing things" without actually unveiling anything at all about what the game is actually about or what it will contain.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Pretty much. The only difference is the conventions and everything else Mitt has said so far contain ZERO details on the "video game" he is developing. Instead it has been nothing but "games produced by this other developer are really bad" and "our game is going to do amazing things" without actually unveiling anything at all about what the game is actually about or what it will contain.
    The only thing we do know about his game is it will be a hell of a lot more expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    The graphics are great, you just don't get to see it yet. But trust us, it's gonna be awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Those two astound me most, really.

Didn't Cuba just recently say they'd enter no-condition negotiations to normalize our relationship?
    Ya the continued anti-Cuba rhetoric is just stupid. At least there is a "threat" you can try and pin on Iran. What the fuck is Cuba going to do to the US exactly? The US deals with dozens and dozens of dictators, mass murderers, and criminals every single day. But nope, not Castro. Fuck him. Castro is the ultimate evil. Sure Cuba could supply the US with sugar cane to produce fuels. Sure Cuba is absolutely no military threat whatsoever to the US. But nope, lets continue to isolate them because of something they did nearly 50 years ago while we are now friends with everyone else involved in the Cold War. Well, except for Russia who Romney apparently considers our enemy still.

My general impression of Romney's speech? Decent I suppose, but not sure it was really good enough to sway many people who were still undecided, or that might have had doubts about Romney the person and his empathy for the common folks who are suffering. The speech itself was somewhat uneven, and he seemed to shoehorn in a lot of talking points in a way that felt non-sequitur, as if he was just ticking off required points instead of providing a cohesive narrative. He either needs a better speechwriter or else he personally needs to go through the speeches a bit better to smooth it out.

He attacked Obama a lot, but I wonder of his attacks on Obama for foreign policy will help or hurt. Obama's foreign policy has been relatively successful (ended one war, the second war looks like it is winding down, got Bin Laden, threat of terrorism seems lower) but Romney's saber-rattling might seem alarming for a nation very weary of war.
    Last edited by ptwonline; 2012-08-31 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    The graphics are great, you just don't get to see it yet. But trust us, it's gonna be awesome.
    Its like a kickstarter where the only details are that 'this game isn't like that other game. Well kind of, but not really. Oh! And this is the only game you can play for four years if you choose to support us. Also, games like this are traditionally only good for large institutions, everyone else is pretty S.O.L. BUY TODAY!'

How is Romney taking the "higher ground"? Obama is running on no record and can only attack says Mitt Romney while he runs on no record and only attacks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    How is Romney taking the "higher ground"? Obama is running on no record and can only attack says Mitt Romney while he runs on no record and only attacks.
    Welcome to Mitt Romney. Thing he says in one half of the speech don't apply to the second half. "Obama is only running on unfair attacks, we aren't going to do that. Now here is our list of attacks on Obama, most of them completely fictional."

I hope the DNC is a much better conference than the RNC was. If it is nothing but a couple days of falsified attacks on Romney followed by a completely rhetoric filled substance free keynote speech I will be very sad. Not sad because I support Dems, but sad because I will officially have lost faith in American politics as caring about the truth at all.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-08-31 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    Clearly it's higher ground. You've seen how high up that podium is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Clearly it's higher ground. You've seen how high up that podium is.
    Charlotte, NC is at a much higher elevation than Tampa, FL though so he even messed that part up.

Conscript, are you going to give an objective opinion at all? Or is it all partisan one sided stuff. I feel like I'm watching MSNBC. I thought there were a lot of great and positive messages. I loved Rubio's speech and can't wait for Rubio to be my president one day.

Quote Originally Posted by BoldTitan View Post
    Conscript, are you going to give an objective opinion at all? Or is it all partisan one sided stuff. I feel like I'm watching MSNBC. I thought there were a lot of great and positive messages. I loved Rubio's speech and can't wait for Rubio to be my president one day.
    I encourage you to give a non-partisan speech. Give us the good and the bad of what you've seen.

an objective opinion
    Not sure what you think an opinion is.

This from the Republican Apologist? Your posting history reads like a paid republican shill, just fyi.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-08-31 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not sure what you think an opinion is.
    You know what I meant. An opinion on the speech as a whole, not just as a republican.

I think he had some good parts, didn't cover enough in detail, didn't have enough passion like Rubio did, made some nice key points, but needed some strong lines that will really stick in people's heads. Overall I thought it was his best speech, but not the best at the convention. Still, a powerful message.

You know what I meant. An opinion on the speech as a whole, not just as a republican.
    Seems like that's what he gave you, an opinion on the speech. It seems your complaint is that he disagrees with you.

On another note I'm still pissed about Ryan's speech.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I've said before in this thread that I like Rubio. I was really hoping he would get the VP nom. I would be thrilled if he got the Republican nom in 2016. His speech was a fantastic introduction for himself. It was a horrible speech in support of Romney though which is what the folks at the RNC were supposed to be doing.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-08-31 at 03:50 AM.

Brian Williams was trying so hard not to laugh after Eastwood's speech.
    Last edited by Wells; 2012-08-31 at 04:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Still, a powerful message.
    I'd love to know what message. The only message in his speech, just like every other speech he has delivered, was that "the country is in rough shape because Obama didn't fix the economy fast enough, I have a plan to fix it but I'll have to get back to you on what the plan actually is. Now here is a list of things Obama has done to ruin this country or is going to do to ruin the country." I took absolutely nothing from his speech outside of the same lies and warmongering most of the speakers have went with all week.

Not but really, even in politics Ryans speech was shockingly dishonest.