Hell, let's take the 2nd Amendment. Guns are used approximately 80 times more in self-defence (6850 times per day) than in crime/offence. According to the National Safety Council, the total number of gun deaths (by accidents, suicides and homicides) account for less than 30,000 deaths per year; approximately 0.001% of the American population as of 2012.
    About 60% of all homicide in 2009. In fact by far the most common type of weapon type in homicide is the gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in favor of handgun control, but I'm still not convinced that looking at them as a percentage of homicides is going about it the right way. A homicide is a homicide, no matter what you used to do it. I don't think it's safe to assume that any given homicide committed with a firearm would not have otherwise been committed with another weapon.

This goes here

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always wondered, if the Founders wanted to make gun ownership such a plain, cut and dry issue, why did they not choose clearer language?

They could have taken language that existed in the 1776 Pennsylvania Constitution:

Quote Originally Posted by Constitution of Pennsylvania - September 28, 1776
    That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state;
    Instead we have:

Quote Originally Posted by U.S Constitution
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    Just a thought I had.
    Last edited by Willeonge; 2012-11-02 at 02:36 AM.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I'm in favor of handgun control, but I'm still not convinced that looking at them as a percentage of homicides is going about it the right way. A homicide is a homicide, no matter what you used to do it. I don't think it's safe to assume that any given homicide committed with a firearm would not have otherwise been committed with another weapon.
    On the other hand we can't ignore the lethality of fire arms as opposed to a bar chair.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree, it's a lot easier to use a gun than any other weapon, not only because of ease of use, but the detachment of using a projectile. It's a lot easier to pull a trigger than to actually use force. A gun is also more likley than any other weapon, to injure an unintended target.

I think the key to gun control is not limiting access as a result of the type of gun that is used, but the people who use them. I wouldn't care if someone owned an AK, as long as they went through rigorous scrutiny before being permitted to own one.

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 02:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I have always wondered, if the Founders wanted to make gun ownership such a plain, cut and dry issue, why did the not choose clearer language?

They could have taken language that existed in the 1776 Pennsylvania Constitution:

Instead we have:

Just a thought I had.
    Even the most conservative judge on the supreme court agrees with you. Well, so do I, but he is more important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    On the other hand we can't ignore the lethality of fire arms as opposed to a bar chair.
    You are also exponentially more likely to survive a wound from small arms fire than from being stabbed. So there's that.

You are also exponentially more likely to survive a wound from small arms fire than from being stabbed. So there's that.
    All the same I'll take my chances with the guy with the knife over the guy with the gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the same I'll take my chances with the guy with the knife over the guy with the gun.
    You're a brave bastard. Because I sure as hell wouldn't.

Romney Supporters!

No seriously, I'm saddened that people vote either way without actually knowing who or what they are voting for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ideally, my response to both would be to run the hell away, because a moving target's a bitch to hit with a gun if you're not either a prodigy, practiced, or a trained marksman, and a knife only reaches so far even if you throw it.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're a brave bastard. Because I sure as hell wouldn't.
    I feel more compelled to believe you, considering your military experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Kalyyn has military experience? That is something I certainly didn't expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Not to toot my own horn but I've dealt with both.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd never heard this, could you provide a link to a study?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    This goes here
    I like how they didn't mention anything about Obama eating a dog when he was in another country. If I was a dog I'd rather be on the roof of the family car than in someone's belly.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangMark83 View Post
    I like how they didn't mention anything about Obama eating a dog when he was in another country. If I was a dog I'd rather be on the roof of the family car than in someone's belly.
    I like how you didn't link anything to back up this claim?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Kalyyn has military experience? That is something I certainly didn't expect.
    I think Kalyyn has mentioned having served in the military in the past. If I'm wrong then you can ignore what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangMark83 View Post
    Yes, welcome to planet Earth. You'll find that people in different cultures have different customs. Why is eating a dog in another country a bad thing? It's not like he's buying a pet dog and eating it.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-11-02 at 05:43 AM.

My dad is a retired cop and we have 3 handguns (.38 caliber, .44 magnum, 9mm), a 12 gauge and a 10 gauge. I know how to use and properly maintain all of them. I don't know if you're more likely to survive a gun shot over a stab wound because there are a lot of arteries that a knife won't reach too easily.

You're more likely to survive a stab wound. My ex-gf was a MD, showed me x-rays of people with knives literally stuck in the patient's neck. They survived.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.