Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    I'm just saying for the Obama campaign, I would advise against making pedophilia jokes.
    As would I. My point was just to show the stupidity in saying, "It's just a joke, don't take it seriously, don't read so much into it."

Whether you think people should be offended by it or not, a lot of people are offended by and tired of the whole birther controversy. For the Romney campaign, I would advise against making more birther jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really sure how pedophilia is tied with Mormonism.
    There's been stories about pre arranged marriages with adult men and young girls (13 year ish). Probably already feeling heat from that comment so that's all I will say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    what im getting at was mitt knew what he was doing when he said it. he knew he was pushing a baseless, shitty attack back to the forefront. if he didnt he's too stupid to be president. and if he did he's a douche
    Actually what I think he was doing is telling a fucking joke. And if you think it's now in "the forefront" you aren't paying attention to the news at all. Or perhaps only to MSNBC or something. Because in the time since the joke, I've seen it mentioned once on the news, while I've seen campaign stop speeches replayed over and over and over and I want to break my TV and over and please make it stop and over.

Stop trying to latch on to every little thing and be outraged. You'll give yourself a heart attack before 30.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    I've seen it mentioned once on the news
    You must not pay attention to news. I've seen it in every major news source I look at (and I look at a lot of them).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    As would I. My point was just to show the stupidity in saying, "It's just a joke, don't take it seriously, don't read so much into it."

Whether you think people should be offended by it or not, a lot of people are offended by and tired of the whole birther controversy. For the Romney campaign, I would advise against making more birther jokes.
    "No one has asked to see my birth certificate" is the same as "No one has asked about my pedophilia record"?

What? NO! If Obama said the latter it wouldn't even make sense.

There is no situation or controversy surrounding Mitt Romney and pedophilia whereas the opposite is true for Obama and his birth certificate.

Mitt Romney is not a birther people, get over it.
    Last edited by Riidii; 2012-08-26 at 01:56 AM.

Given the insane amount of race baiting tied to birtherism I don't find it an appropriate subject for jokes from a guy who wants to be president.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Given the insane amount of race baiting tied to birtherism I don't find it an appropriate subject for jokes from a guy who wants to be president.
    I thought it was pretty clever.

Didn't come across as mean or inappropriate at all to me.

I thought it was pretty clever.

Didn't come across as mean or inappropriate at all to me.
    There was some unintended truth to his joke really.

Yes no one has ever asked the white man born wealthy with a western name for his birth certificate.
    Last edited by Wells; 2012-08-26 at 02:08 AM.

There was some unintended truth to his joke really.

Yes no one has ever asked the white man born with a western name for his birth certificate.
    Don't marginalize yourself Wells.

He was talking about the Detroit area where he and his wife were born. Just emphasizing his point to the locals.

This is such a non-story.

Don't marginalize yourself Wells.

He was talking about the Detroit area where he and his wife were born. Just emphasizing his point to the locals.

This is such a non-story.
    He made a birther joke. He said no one ever asked for their certificate. There's a pretty clear reason no on cares where he was born even though the family has ties to mexico. There was never any concern about McCain even though he was born in Panama. Nope, its the black guy born in Hawaii they're flipping their shit about.

Thanks for the condescension though.
    Last edited by Wells; 2012-08-26 at 02:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think an analogous scenario would be if Bar Bar made a joke suggesting that Mittens is a polygamist. There has already been concern expressed over his religious beliefs, and polygamy would be a similarly repulsive act in the eyes of the American public, at least the conservative crowd.

There is no situation or controversy surrounding Mitt Romney and pedophilia whereas the opposite is true for Obama and his birth certificate
    Thanks to Romney and his fellow Republicans. If the left wanted to be stupid and start a controversy about Romney being tied to a cult or polygamy, I'm sure they could. But of course that would be just as idiotic as the birther movement.

I'm just curious...

The Constitution doesn't say the President has to be born in the US. It just says he/she has to be a "natural born citizen."

What does "natural born citizen" mean?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

He made a birther joke. He said no one ever asked for their certificate. There's a pretty clear reason no on cares where he was born even though the family has ties to mexico. There was never any concern about McCain even though he was born in Panama. Nope, its the black guy born in Hawaii they're flipping their shit about.

Thanks for the condescension though.
    You're getting off subject. I don't know what makes the birthers act the way they do, nor do I support them. I don't really care either.

I'm just saying, the left needs to calm the fuck down over this completely non-serious jest.

Who tied that to birtherism? Are you trying to argue that birtherism would never have been a thing if Obama weren't black?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Who tied that to birtherism? Are you trying to argue that birtherism would never have been a thing if Obama weren't black?
    Many people are unable to grasp the possibility of dislike of Obama that is not tied to racism in some way. Wells usually doesn't go straight for the race card, and I can see where birtherism could be conflated with racism.
    Last edited by KingHorse; 2012-08-26 at 02:54 AM.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say I can imagine people questioning Obama's place of birth if he was white.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-08-26 at 03:30 AM. Reason: "Imagine" is a better fit than "see" was.

Many people are unable to grasp the possibility of dislike of Obama that is not tied to racism in some way. Wells usually doesn't go straight for the race card, and I can see where birtherism could be conflated with racism.
    While I agree the race card is overplayed, it is pure ignorance to suggest it doesn't play a role in a some portion of the hate surrounding Obama. I work a blue collar job in maintenance at a fairly large facility, and the amount of absurdity that comes out of supposedly fully functioning adults' mouths is ridiculous. In a perfect world, this WOULDN'T be an issue. Then again, in a perfect world, there wouldn't be idiots spouting nonsense about how bad a thing COMPROMISE, the cornerstone of any democratic society, is.

I only go for the race card when its fucking obvious.

Like with birtherism.
    Last edited by Wells; 2012-08-26 at 04:29 AM.

I only go for the race card when its fucking obvious.

Like with birtherism.
    No one can deny the numbers were bolstered by racists, but neither could anyone deny that there was reasonable cause for questioning, a long ass time ago.