10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I disagree. Compromise should be about working together to come to a satisfactory conclusion.
    A satisfactory compromise between congressional democrats and republicans would have, in years past, consist of a bill that establishes a new benefit, along with a tax cut, tacking the costs onto the deficit.

What makes the politicians happy and what makes us happy, unfortunately, aren't the same things.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    That's not what I meant. I am comparing Obama being called a Muslim, to being a kin to McCartheism.
    ah i see. well i wouldnt call it mcarthyism so much as racism. its not to do with his actual policies, just his heritage.

Give me an example to work with.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/26/world/...rls/index.html
    US & UN run schools and hospitals are attacked constantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    A satisfactory compromise between congressional democrats and republicans would have, in years past, consist of a bill that establishes a new benefit, along with a tax cut, tacking the costs onto the deficit.
    It also would have resulted in a stable and functional government. Obviously the government is capable of making bills that do not fit that mold otherwise we'd have crashed into the ground years ago.

What makes the politicians happy and what makes us happy, unfortunately, aren't the same things.
    And that needs to change.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Which side would that be?
    Any side. There isn't a comprehensive plan out there that, if put on the ballot, would garner 51% of the vote, and there's not a political leader out there that has the chops to change that.
    indignantgoat.com/

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It also would have resulted in a stable and functional government. Obviously the government is capable of making bills that do not fit that mold otherwise we'd have crashed into the ground years ago.

And that needs to change.
    Completely agree. I have always thought, in the back of my mind, that we should just fire the entire 535 member lot of them. None of them have done their jobs right.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Completely agree. I have always thought, in the back of my mind, that we should just fire the entire 535 member lot of them. None of them have done their jobs right.
    How about a term limit on House members? Senate too, while we're at it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a functional, stable government. It's just not functioning the way you want it to. As a libertarian, gridlock is the closest I get to a government being responsive to what I want.

---------- Post added 2012-09-29 at 01:45 PM ----------

There you go with the generalizations again.
    indignantgoat.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I favor short term limits. Even if they are doing a good job, it's better to get new blood over the complacency, self-aggrandizement and egotism that long-time membership breeds.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

We have a functional, stable government. It's just not functioning the way you want it to. As a libertarian, gridlock is the closest I get to a government being responsive to what I want.
    By gridlock, I assume you mean you want them doing nothing? But they're not doing nothing... they're spending a lot of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have got to be kidding me. Our government is it's most dysfunctional it's ever been, distrust, disfavor and apathy have never been worse. These are horrible things to generate in society. A government that at it's best causes problems and at it's worst does nothing is a government that is not worth the time and effort to continue existing.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    How about a term limit on House members? Senate too, while we're at it.
    It's a tough thing. I'm 65% in favor of term limits.

I would prefer single terms of 6 years in the House and 8 years in the Senate, with the option of a 'No Confidence' vote (requiring petitions to start and a 60% down vote) that would start the process of a new election the following year. A 'no confidence' vote would be available after 3 years and 4 years, respectively.

The issue is only partially about stale lifers in Congress- it is also about the amount of time spent campaigning.
    indignantgoat.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    By gridlock, I assume you mean you want them doing nothing? But they're not doing nothing... they're spending a lot of money.
    They're spending a lot of money doing nothing, accomplishing nothing, befitting noone except those who seek to profit off the suffering and dysfunction of others, which America, from it's founding has known "United we stand, divided we fall." Anyone who benefits from creating division in this country is quite frankly, not an American and deserves to be treated as traitor.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have got to be kidding me. Our government is it's most dysfunctional it's ever been, distrust, disfavor and apathy have never been worse. These are horrible things to generate in society. A government that at it's best causes problems and at it's worst does nothing is a government that is not worth the time and effort to continue existing.
    It's always worth the time and effort to continue existing. Our system is designed such that it is more difficult to make decisions in times of distrust and divisiveness.

The public distrust and disfavor is more than anything a result of the campaign/news cycle.
    indignantgoat.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    It's always worth the time and effort to continue existing. Our system is designed such that it is more difficult to make decisions in times of distrust and divisiveness. The public distrust and disfavor is more than anything a result of the campaign/news cycle.
    So then by that logic the country gets better the more we want to kill each other. The Civil War should have been the very height of good governance! I guess the deaths of hundreds of thousands of your countrymen and the destruction of half the country are ideal results.

Distrust and divisiveness benefit no American. As you so clearly point out, much of it is artificially generated for profit, and people who profit by dividing America are the enemies of everything this country stands for.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2012-09-29 at 06:05 PM.

Just, be kind.

The public distrust and disfavor is more than anything a result of the campaign/news cycle.
    Chicken or egg?

We're streching into final month. Honestly all campaigning should die down. This should be a stop to public campaigning and now on the voting process. I can't believe it will almost me over soon. I'm going to remember this election when Obama is re-elected and glad it will be another four years at least before it happens again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conflicting polls lead me to believe this campaign isn't won by anybody yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    We're streching into final month. Honestly all campaigning should die down. This should be a stop to public campaigning and now on the voting process. I can't believe it will almost me over soon. I'm going to remember this election when Obama is re-elected and glad it will be another four years at least before it happens again.
    Just wait until November 6th. I remember exactly where I was for the last few elections on that tuesday. Last time I was in an airport, with about 50 people crowded around me, watching the poll returns on a TV at one of the gates.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just wait until November 6th. I remember exactly where I was for the last few elections on that tuesday. Last time I was in an airport, with about 50 people crowded around me, watching the poll returns on a TV at one of the gates.
    I'm looking forward to this election as well - I remember exactly where I was for 2008 - it won't be that special this time around, but it will still be very meaningful. The country choosing once again to take the path forward.

we can only hope it's done on nov 6... *flashes back to 2000*