10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Part of me still likes the idea of being required to pass a test on basic facts about the candidates and their positions before voting. The Tea Party would be erased from American politics in one fell swoop.
    I don't think the tea party has less of a right to express their opinion than anyone else. I think they are the result of poor education, which makes me side with improved education. The way to get rid of the tea party, is to encuorage education, not demonize teachers and PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    A lot of people seem to view the only unacceptable hurdle to voting as the one that says "you can't vote".
    the unacceptable hurdles are the ones that affect them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    This is what is awsome about that thread:

That's the point that thread is at now. It's everything that is wrong with Internet arguing, all in one thread. I'm on the first page being sarcastic, to prove that point.
    Dacien finally locked it. I'll admit, I had a "lolwut?" comment when posting an article, should have been a bit more cordial I suppose but I was blown away that someone thought abstinence education wasn't being used in schools today because all schools are "liberal". Whatever that meant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I think election day should be a national holiday for when we're doing national elections.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Honestly I think election day should be a national holiday for when we're doing national elections.
    I agree that would be a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pacifism and Environmentalism are belief systems. Just because they don't include an invisible magic immortal person who demands worship doesn't make them less important or less valid.

It does in the eyes of the government.

I think it's a lot more feasible to just make early voting easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I reject the idea that being middle of the right is automatically doing it right. That's the fallacy of the golden mean.

If you're just saying that you're representing yourself accurately, that's definitely a plus
    Personally I was complimenting him on his willingness to point out what both sides do right and what both sides do wrong. I don't know which side he actually prefers, and I'm not sure I care, but I care very much about his objectivity.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    It does in the eyes of the government.
    Yeah, it does, but if environmentalists decided to say that we need to save the environment because Bobo the Eternal Forest Spirit said to do so, it would suddenly become a Religion. It's silly to protect belief systems only when they include a mythological unprovable being.

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think it's a lot more feasible to just make early voting easy.
    That would be a simpler solution, maybe, but the holiday would actually encourage more people to get involved in the political process, which I like.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be a simpler solution, maybe, but the holiday would actually encourage more people to get involved in the political process, which I like.
    I think it would encuorage people to go on vacation, instead of getting involved in polotics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it does, but if environmentalists decided to say that we need to save the environment because Bobo the Eternal Forest Spirit said to do so, it would suddenly become a Religion. It's silly to protect belief systems only when they include a mythological unprovable being.
    How does a religion become recognized by the government, anyway? I've been spreading the word of the God Emperor for years and I still haven't gotten tax exemption >=(

Yeah, it does, but if environmentalists decided to say that we need to save the environment because Bobo the Eternal Forest Spirit said to do so, it would suddenly become a Religion. It's silly to protect belief systems only when they include a mythological unprovable being.[COLOR="red"]
    we need a Church of Atheism. seriously, the lol-worthy oxymoron makes it a necessity

Lunatic woman calls Obama a communist but doesn't know what "communist" means

I find people like this absolutely ridiculous:

http://www.stopidiocy.com/2012/10/cl...a-a-communist/

Does this make anyone else angry? I can't stand people that parrot stuff others have said without understanding it.

stupid stupid lady...

15+ Year Old Account
    Merging this here. One off pieces like this can usually be dumped in the megathread discussion. I don't see the need for multiple threads every time an individual says something misleading or misguided.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    How does a religion become recognized by the government, anyway? I've been spreading the word of the God Emperor for years and I still haven't gotten tax exemption >=(
    Here you need at least 1000 followers to be recognized as a church. Not sure about the US though!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    Here you need at least 1000 followers to be recognized as a church. Not sure about the US though!
    Does my MMO-Champion friends list count as followers? The Church of Fuzzzie needs a tax exemption nao!

If we can get enough people to believe in the flying spaghetti monster, then we could get a tax exemption on spaghetti and say it's for our worship

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Braggia View Post
    I find people like this absolutely ridiculous:

http://www.stopidiocy.com/2012/10/cl...a-a-communist/

Does this make anyone else angry? I can't stand people that parrot stuff others have said without understanding it.
    "Just because he was born here, does not mean he thinks like us" is far worse than not knowing what communism is. That's some children of the corn crap right there.
    Last edited by Felya; 2012-10-14 at 01:02 AM.

Deleted
    Retards like that women should not be allowed to vote.