Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Never said MSG was specifically bad, it does introduce yet another source of Sodium into Americans already Sodium-rich diets though. MSG + Salt = HOLY SHIT SODIUM!
    Studies have shown you can reduce the total amount of sodium in a product while maintaining flavor by using MSG. I have a bag of MSG in my cupboard. If you come to my house, I'll make you two batches of real chicken stock (ingredients: water, chicken bones, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf). In one, I'll add x weight of NaCl (salt), in the other I'll add the same x weight of NaCL+MSG. I promise the second one is far more delicious.

Correlative studies: products that include MSG are typically junk food. Hi, Doritos! So, of course MSG is linked to obesity. Study probably also fails to look at sources of glutamate other than MSG (soy sauce, autolyzed yeast extract, etc.)

It gets a bad reputation because it's linked primarily to junk food, or cheaply produced food. That's all.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-10-22 at 02:06 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad had high blood pressure when I was growing up so the whole family was on a sodium restrictive diet.

The downside to this is that pretty much every single bloody thing tastes salty. I rarely get soup at a restaurant because I feel like I'm drinking a salt-shaker.

I always eliminate the salt from the recipes I use when cooking...never put salt on anything.

I even order soft pretzels without salt and if they don't have them I will meticulously remove the salt from them before consuming.

Suffice it to say I do not have my dad's high blood pressure issue.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Studies have shown you can reduce the total amount of sodium in a product while maintaining flavor by using MSG. I have a bag of MSG in my cupboard. If you come to my house, I'll make you two batches of real chicken stock (ingredients: water, chicken bones, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf). In one, I'll add x weight of NaCl (salt), in the other I'll add the same x weight of NaCL+MSG. I promise the second one is far more delicious.

Correlative studies: products that include MSG are typically junk food. Hi, Doritos! So, of course MSG is linked to obesity. Study probably also fails to look at sources of glutamate other than MSG (soy sauce, autolyzed yeast extract, etc.)

It gets a bad reputation because it's linked primarily to junk food, or cheaply produced food. That's all.
    There are of course also people who are deathly allergic to MSG.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No one is. If you don't get glutamate from your food (and almost all food has it), your body makes it by itself. Spectral probably knows more about that.

You're probably confusing it with glutens, which is 100% not the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    adverse reactions, yes, allergies, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    adverse reactions, yes, allergies, no.
    No scientific study has confirmed so-called Chinese Restaurant Syndrome. The last study I looked at had over 1000 people who claimed to be MSG-sensitive in a double blind. The only reported cases of adverse reactions came from people in the control group. That is, no MSG.

On topic: lol, democrats are hippies. Or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jeez, I start up doing my "sort of daily" lurking of the Democrat/Republican stickies only to find everyone dropping some science in here. I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    On topic: lol, democrats are hippies. Or something.
    Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you over the bear hug I gave a tree.

So I come in here expecting talk about the debate tonight and I get Chinese MSG facts lol

10+ Year Old Account
    So I expect Romney to double down on Benghazi tonight and remain aggressive on the (non) issue.

What does Obama have to do in order to finally put this talking point to rest?

Personally I think he should keep a somber tone, take responsibility for their deaths like las time, and basically use patriotism to drown out criticism. He did this very well last time:

"These are my folks, and I’m the one who has to greet those coffins when they come home. … I was there greeting the caskets coming into Andrews Air Force Base and grieving with the families.”
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    "The greatest threat to national security is the debt, the deficit and the fiscal cliff".
    => That's the backdoor to discuss the economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I foresee Obama trying to fling tar at Romney by accusing him of carrying over some of Bush's foreign policy team.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I foresee Obama trying to fling tar at Romney by accusing him of carrying over some of Bush's foreign policy team.
    Is that not a legitimate criticism? Do you want to go back to the foreign policy of Bush2?

I wish it was just tar. It's a real problem. Romney has been sounding like Bush on foreign policy, and by having the same advisors on this issue where he has very little experience, it's very, very worrying indeed. He can't even turn to his VP to add some good first-hand experience. But Romney IS a big fan of...Dick Cheney.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...rine?page=full

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Is that not a legitimate criticism? Do you want to go back to the foreign policy of Bush2?
    Oh no it is a legitimate criticism. I just wanted to use some imagery in my sentence was all.

---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    I wish it was just tar. It's a real problem. Romney has been sounding like Bush on foreign policy, and by having the same advisors on this issue where he has very little experience, it's very, very worrying indeed. He can't even turn to his VP to add some good first-hand experience. But Romney IS a big fan of...Dick Cheney.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...rine?page=full
    Which is why as Diurdi said, I imagine Romney would use a line like that and pivot to the economy as much as he could.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Pilobolus View Post
    Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you over the bear hug I gave a tree.
    Sorry, what? I was making some granola, couldn't hear you from the kitchen.

---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 04:04 PM ----------

Which is why as Diurdi said, I imagine Romney would use a line like that and pivot to the economy as much as he could.
    That was Clinton's tactic in 1992, iirc.

17 out of 24 of Romneys advisers are from the Bush administration. Obama is going to make Romney say on national tv he plans on going to war with Iran.

Cowboy politics will lead to another middle eastern war I promise you this. If I were Iran or Syria and Romney got elected I would launch a full scale attack on Israel.

Either attack or be attacked and Iran would be stupid not to preemptively strike.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Obama or Romney are all too eager to talk about foreign policy. While I believe Obama has done fairly well as commander in chief, he has a few issues neither campaign has talked about yet: The kill list, drone strikes, lingering war in Afghanistan, gitmo.

We really have not discussed foreign policy at all this campaign. I think its gonna be a wild ride tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    So I come in here expecting talk about the debate tonight and I get Chinese MSG facts lol
    Let's be real, anything that belfpala has to say about the use of MSG in food is far more useful information to everyone's life than anything Barack and Mitt will say tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    If the GOP can get the hell out of the way, or better yet, help out and stop obstructing growth in jobs, we could start to fix the real problems.
    Mwahahahaaaaa...the Democrat-controlled House and Senate from 2007-2011 would like to have a word with you. Just like your example with Youtube, it's really easy to 'prove things' by just typing random bullshit on the internet huh?
    Last edited by Duts; 2012-10-22 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Cowboy politics will lead to another middle eastern war I promise you this. If I were Iran or Syria and Romney got elected I would launch a full scale attack on Israel.

Either attack or be attacked and Iran would be stupid not to preemptively strike.
    Well, on the bright side, such a war would at least have a clearly definable enemy, unlike the more recent conflicts.