Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I simply disagree that something like this is going to have significant negative impact over the long term. Anti-gay voters already weren't going to vote Obama, for one thing.
    Most pro-gay voters were already voting for him.

I'd say he probably lost more than he gained though.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 02:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdoletoo View Post
    Go back and look at how the media was saying carter was going to win and he got trounced. It's looking eerily similar. His only hope is that this blows over. He was always for gay marriage, he just reaffirmed it. In the coming weeks , more of his beliefs are going to come out and I see it going further down. If more is made out of fast and furious and he doesn't use holder as a scapegoat, it could get ugly. Even democrats are starting to join the oust holder sentiment.
    Well, not all the media were saying Carter was going to win.

But the economy was in the shitter, and his own party wasn't behind him.

I understand what you're saying, but I simply disagree that something like this is going to have significant negative impact over the long term. Anti-gay voters already weren't going to vote Obama, for one thing.
    That is not entirely true. Black people have been all over the news supporting him saying he needs to say these things to get re-elected. It gets harder when stuff is shoved down their throat. It's one thing for obama to come out in support, but that cover is ridiculously over the top.

---------- Post added 2012-05-13 at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Most pro-gay voters were already voting for him.

I'd say he probably lost more than he gained though.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 02:42 AM ----------

Well, not all the media were saying Carter was going to win.

But the economy was in the shitter, and his own party wasn't behind him.
    And the economy isn't in the shitter now? And there's a lot of democrats trying to distance themselves from obama, especially in local and state elections.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been saying for awhile that it is going to be a big defeat for obama. I know people do not believe me, but Newsweek magazine is going to help with their cover this week. I know nobody reads magazines anymore, but they do look at covers at the wal mart check out......gg Newsweek

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/n...144158226.html
    I think it's going to be a close race unless the economy vastly improves or plummets.

That is not entirely true. Black people have been all over the news supporting him saying he needs to say these things to get re-elected. It gets harder when stuff is shoved down their throat. It's one thing for obama to come out in support, but that cover is ridiculously over the top.
    He's still gonna get 99% of the black vote.

Though.. how many vote is what they would worry about. They will manufacturer some racial stuff in the fall to get them angry probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black people are still going to vote for him. They understand what he's doing and stand by him. He doesn't lose the black vote to pick up the gay vote, he's going to reap both now, that's why he made the announcement. It was calculated.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-05-14 at 02:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Black people are still going to vote for him. They understand what he's doing and stand by him.
    You're half right.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

I think the real Achilles heal of the Obama campaign is going to be can the republicans call them on everything they promised and basically didn't do or even did worse than even Bush.

Like getting people to understand that this "transparency" administration or the "reach across the aisle" stuff was actually worse than previous administration. There are lots of talking points to obfuscate it, ie blame republicans (very effective it seems) for every major failure.

Ultimately, if the case can be made in a logical coherent way that illustrates that this administration is not on the up and up, in general... they are done for, it could be a baddddd election for them.

but that cover is ridiculously over the top.
    It's not even high-brow manipulation, if that's what they were even going for. I think they just want to sell magazines. I don't expect the cover to have a huge impact.

I understand Time is a liberal magazine, but trying to bring in more Democrat, pro-gay voters with a cover like that? Not a big deal.

Once obama gets into the debates and realy campaigning later in the year the polls will show obama farther ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    You're half right.
    I read an interview about a black man that voted against gay marriage in NC and publicly reaffirmed his support for Obama the day after he made the announcement. It's going to take a LOT more than that for him to lose the black vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    Once obama gets into the debates and realy campaigning later in the year the polls will show obama farther ahead.
    He's a terrible debater.

He will likely limit debates as much as he can.

10+ Year Old Account
    but that cover is ridiculously over the top.
    It's just one magazine, I thought it was a cute gesture, I didn't think it was the slightest bit offensive or demeaning.

And the economy isn't in the shitter now?
    It's better than it was when he entered office and improving.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just one magazine, I thought it was a cute gesture, I didn't think it was the slightest bit offensive or demeaning.

It's better than it was when he entered office and improving.
    Be careful with the word improving. There is a reason economists are calling this a weak recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Be careful with the word improving. There is a reason economists are calling this a weak recovery.
    It can go in either direction. That will likely dictate the outcome of the election.

It's not even high-brow manipulation, if that's what they were even going for. I think they just want to sell magazines. I don't expect the cover to have a huge impact.

I understand Time is a liberal magazine, but trying to bring in more Democrat, pro-gay voters with a cover like that? Not a big deal.
    I am saying that the cover is going to drive people away from him. Not democrats, but the independents. I understand how people want to be out in the open and proud to be gay. I also know lots of people in lots of states who don't agree with this point of view. There will be people who will see this and remember it and associate gay with obama. It doesn't matter how you feel or think about the topic, it matters how the people who vote country wide think. And there are more states who have voted to ban gay marriage then voted for it. This cover is going to hurt, maybe not a lot , but it will not do him any favors.

---------- Post added 2012-05-13 at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    He's a terrible debater.

He will likely limit debates as much as he can.
    I really want to see obama debate Romney on the economy and jobs. I want to see him debate without a teleprompter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really want to see obama debate Romney on the economy and jobs.
    What, is Romney going to take credit for the Auto-Bailouts in front of Obama?
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-05-14 at 03:07 AM. Reason: usage

What, is he going to take credit for the Auto-Bailouts in front of Obama?
    I want to see a community organizer debate a person who has actually run a business .

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to see a community organizer debate a person who has actually run a business .
    You say that like ownership has more merit than public discourse.

I want the see the President of the United States debate the former governor of a state that came nearly last in job growth, accepted bailout money for his previous business to avoid bankruptcy, and lost to John McCain in the last Republican Primary.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-05-14 at 03:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What, is Romney going to take credit for the Auto-Bailouts in front of Obama?
    Romney is the turn around artist, if people were just looking for qualifications when it comes to managing an economic situation, Romney should be the clear choice. However, I agree that if the economy does not take a turn for the worse, Obama will probably win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    I read an interview about a black man that voted against gay marriage in NC and publicly reaffirmed his support for Obama the day after he made the announcement. It's going to take a LOT more than that for him to lose the black vote.
    That was the half I was implying you got right =)
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.