Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Why can't we just hear both sides and move on?
    One of them is lying a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see. Thanks for the information. Cutting PBS seems to be a pretty arbitrary thing to support then.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    First time watching the political debate here.
    Is it always so much "*Insert presidential candidate* is wrong blah blah blah, and I'm right blah blah blah?"

Why can't we just hear both sides and move on?

Edit: I get that it's a debate, but they seem more like they are name calling than debating imo.
    Because one candidate is lying like fucking mad.

Oh look---he just brought up Solyndra. Of course he ignores the other 30+ companies that are doing fine.

Oh---and he just basically insulted the President directly.

Class act.

Oh look---he just brought up Solyndra. Of course he ignores the other 30+ companies that are doing fine.
    Did he bring up how everyone thought Solyndra was a safe investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    It was until China basically cheated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something I've never liked about these debates. I'm not a fan of Obama, but you do not tell the most powerful man in the world when he is done speaking. Heck, they should both be allowed to speak for as long as they want. I want to hear everything they have to say, not just what they can cram into 2 minutes.

HAHAHAHA. Sure. He definitely did. Definitely didn't make it seem like Solyndra was the only recipient of the 90 BILLION DOLLARS (Which I have no idea if it is even accurate, but Romney repeated it literally like 4 times in a minute) that he gave to the green energy industry.

Oh look, Romney finally brought up the 716 billion dollars taken out of Medicare lie.

There's a position that exists (which I don't agree with) that simply says that investing in private businesses is not the government's place. If that were Romney's position, he might be able to articulate some reasonable point on Solyndra. With his position that investing in energy is a good thing, there's simply not plausible way to say, "ha, Solyndra!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    One of them is lying a lot.
    I'm looking forward to the fact checkers then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Something I've never liked about these debates. I'm not a fan of Obama, but you do not tell the most powerful man in the world when he is done speaking. Heck, they should both be allowed to speak for as long as they want. I want to hear everything they have to say, not just what they can cram into 2 minutes.
    This is why I don't like debates, but would instead prefer a sit-down conversation style event.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    It was until China basically cheated.
    Solyndra made a good product. They just bet the market would go the wrong way. They specialized in super high end expensive solar panels and the market, in large part due to China, went the other way. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I'm looking forward to the fact checkers then.
    Unfortunately, fact checkers generally have a vested interest in faux bipartisanship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    This is why I don't like debates, but would instead prefer a sit-down conversation style event.
    I have a strange feeling that a nonofficial debate in conversational form would result in them trying to kill each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    I have a strange feeling that a nonofficial debate in conversational form would result in them trying to kill each other.
    I'm not seeing the downside to this. Incidentally, this is possibly the greatest blog post ever -

http://faceintheblue.wordpress.com/2...d-win-and-why/

I wish Obama would just call Romney a fucking liar.

There he goes again stating the 716 billion dollar medicare lie.

Poor Obama, he's getting crushed tonight. Looks like the complete blathering idiot he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Poor Obama, he's getting crushed tonight. Looks like the complete blathering idiot he really is.
    I suppose the main takeaway from this is to realize that I may be experiencing the same level of bias. This really is absolute lunacy though.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Are you serious? Romney is fucking lying like crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Unfortunately, fact checkers generally have a vested interest in faux bipartisanship.
    I'm interested in seeing evidence for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I'm interested in seeing evidence for this.
    I don't think there's anyway to show systemic evidence of it. It's an opinion. Read a bunch of their analyses and see if you agree or not. I'm entirely willing to accept that not everyone will agree. I think it's easy to find anecdotes of them being faux bipartisan, but that doesn't really prove much of anything.

To be clear, I think they provide a fantastic and valuable service. I just don't think using their ratings as a standalone way to evaluate how often a candidate tells the truth works well.