Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted

enough with the math cult in RPGs (MMORPGs)

Quote Originally Posted by microtonal View Post
    You know, you'd think, given the number of expert software engineers who frequent the forums here at MMOC, that there would be a lot more games on the market that weren't risible garbage.

Honestly, the pitchfork-waving witch-hunt that happens here every single time a bug makes it to live realms is really getting pretty tiresome. The Dunning-Kruger effect is truly in full swing in this thread.
    Firstly I have to agree with this guy, even the best engineers and software companies f**ck up sometimes, if they are really unlucky that makes it to the history books (I remind OS/3 to some of you who are old enough to remember it). It is easy to talk like that and disrespect the effort made by those people everyday. I would express myself negatively about the strategic decisions made by blizzard for this game, not the failures that come from loose bugs.

Secondly I would like to say that the use of math in this supposedly (Massive Multyplayer Online) RPG is really sickening. I really hate the whole circus act in this game which forces you to focus on stuff like this: "Push this button, then jump, then push that button 3 times, then wait then push this button", etc. The same thing goes for most raid boss encounters "Move there, then turn, then jump on that ramp, then get out of green shit, then go back and start over". We are being handled as lab rats, this isn't Role Playing. Anyone who has ever played DnD will tell you, you need some math for the random part of the game, but other than that you should be able to enjoy exploring a whole new world, the lore, the graphical art, the emulation of physics, everything that makes a virtual world wonderful to experience. And encounters should really be more about using your mind than playing guitar hero in a blizzard environment. The fact that I 'm somewhat used to it after 5 years doesn't mean I don't hate it. I catch myself sometimes not paying attention to the environement of the game when doing an instance or raid but rather focusing on instrumentation and pushing the buttons as I 'm supposed to.. It 's not fun, not as much as wondering in the external environments, listening to the sounds and music admiring the view and suddenly getting jumped by wondering mobs and fighting for survival.
    So events like this bug appearing are really welcome from my point of view. They move the waters a bit and we can may see a little more clearly again where the real fun comes from in a game, instead of racing for gear, guild progression and other stupid competitive stuff. Somewhere along the line I believe the marketing team in blizzard messed up and we are just to addicted to the game to admit it.
    I don't believe they should ban anyone, they should shut up, put their heads down, and go filter out those logs. When they do that, removing gear acquired is easy, and so is fixing the source of data for all the logging tools (which are really pointless from my point of view, you guys are only complaining because you can't brag about it to your buddies anymore? not very mature to begin with).

Quote Originally Posted by Dravan View Post
    If your butt hurt that some guild is now ahead of you in rankings because of this its seriously sad.
    You obviously don't raid. Ofc it is fucking retarded if some guild manages to outpreform your own because their ret pala does 500k on tendons or whatever.

Deleted
    Who cares if a bunch of people managed kills they otherwise wouldn't have managed with this bug. The race is long over, I thought blizzard was happy with people seeing all the content anyway. I don't blame people for having some fun when they were hitting for big numbers, its rare these things happen. After all isn't this game about fun? If your butt hurt that some guild is now ahead of you in rankings because of this its seriously sad.
    Its an exploit, they shall be banned for cheating.

Given the HUGE number of ret paladins who did nothing other than play their normal rotation and got insane DPS, they most likely won't be banning many people at all. Blizzard is already faced with declining subscriptions, you REALLY THINK that they're going to ban tens of thousands (or more) of players to add to that problem? No. They won't. They'll give out a few warnings, and maybe a few dozen bans at most, probably to isolated people who really abused it for 2200+ arena ratings or high end heroic content. I've seen more game breaking mechanics in the past years such as the infamous "steam tonk controller" flag cap exploit go unpunished despite knowing many people who did it. So, no, don't expect many, if any rets to get banned from this. and no, I don't play a ret paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by xStrike View Post
    Oh, God, you actually reported someone in LFR for just playing the game? Stop trying to be a white knight.

It's Blizzard's fault for this bug. You can't tell people they can't play their class/spec just because Blizzard screwed up.
    Of course, it's always Blizzard's fault when someone Exploits. By that standard, every criminal that breaks the law should be let off, because it's someone's else fault they were able to commit the crime.

We raided last night with our usual Ret pally. Nothing special happen, maybe we missed the window. I think when you're doing 227,000 DPS, you know something is wrong. To say "Oh look, I went from 40K DPS to 200k DPS, Blizzard's fault !" it just trying to play the innocent victim card.

There is a world of difference between this bug and the LFR exploit I would be severley dissapointed if Blizz actually banned someone for simply playing the game...HOWEVER if your raid stacked ret pallys yest, say in the log above, that is an intentional exploit of a bug and should get a 3 day ban or so

No cheating is deliberately breaking the game to gain an unfair advantage. Playing your character like you do normally everyday and suddenly doing insane damage is not an exploit. If it is, then I assume all people who wanted to play their ret paladins during this time and didn't to avoid being banned will be refunded one days game time. No I didn't think so.

EDIT: I also love it how you all assume that every single person playing WoW reads the forums and cares about what other guilds are doing. Maybe someone who has no idea about people being banned for abuse in the past just thought 'omg look how much damage I do!' and carried on. They should not be banned, they didn't exploit they played with what was given to them. Even though the numbers are insane, this isn't the first time that certain classes have done OP damage in raids.
    Last edited by Dravan; 2012-02-02 at 05:02 PM.

Deleted
    Can't believe how small minded ppl can be. Saying "i was just playing the game", "its blizzard fault coz they let it come live", "who cares race finished" ... sigh. So you noticed you do 500k dps what you do? play arena do 2.2k since ur highest rating till now was 1300, Play rbg with other 9 rets get hw, go do bosses you would probably not be able to kill anytime soon and all those stuffs, and you are the victim, you were just playing the game? This is same as finding a case with 1 mil bucks and instead of retrieving it to the police you spend it an all the stuff you couldnt normally buy, thinking everyone would do the same and only a stupid ppl will retrieve it?

You did wrong chose, the rules exist, you get punished.

For those of you that say nothing should be done to those that used the exploit for gain, lets look at it another way. A store closes for the night and everyone goes home but the store was left unlocked would it be right for people to just walk in and take stuff just because some one left the door unlocked? No you would be arrested for it. so just because blizzard left the door unlocked so to speak does not make it right for people to use it to get ahead.

No cheating is deliberately breaking the game to gain an unfair advantage. Playing your character like you do normally everyday and suddenly doing insane damage is not an exploit. If it is, then I assume all people who wanted to play their ret paladins during this time and didn't to avoid being banned will be refunded one days game time. No I didn't think so.
    True - but if you gain a boss kill for the first time by using this exploit, it is. Btw I'm not sure but I don't think it is the normal rotation because our ret pala doesn't do idiotic dmg

Deleted

EDIT: I also love it how you all assume that every single person playing WoW reads the forums and cares about what other guilds are doing. Maybe someone who has no idea about people being banned for abuse in the past just thought 'omg look how much damage I do!' and carried on. They should not be banned, they didn't exploit they played with what was given to them. Even though the numbers are insane, this isn't the first time that certain classes have done OP damage in raids.
    Yeah Ensidia killed lich king the normal way and still got banned, dont pretend like everything is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by littlegiant View Post
    For those of you that say nothing should be done to those that used the exploit for gain, lets look at it another way. A store closes for the night and everyone goes home but the store was left unlocked would it be right for people to just walk in and take stuff just because some one left the door unlocked? No you would be arrested for it. so just because blizzard left the door unlocked so to speak does not make it right for people to use it to get ahead.
    Allow me to come up with a more relevant example. You go to the shop and buy a bunch of items. You pay £10 for the items but the cashier gives you £100 in change by accident. Morality says you should give them the money back, however you are not a criminal if you don't. It wasn't you that made the mistake.

EDIT: Ensidia were banned for using an obscure exploit. And it was always debated whether they did it deliberately. If they were telling the truth and they didn't know what was causing the exploit, they shouldn't have been banned. This was however for a world first, not a world 5000th.
    Last edited by Dravan; 2012-02-02 at 05:08 PM.

Im sure DREAM Paragon was in an all paladin raid last night seeing how fast they could gear alts.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeywing View Post
    True - but if you gain a boss kill for the first time by using this exploit, it is. Btw I'm not sure but I don't think it is the normal rotation because our ret pala doesn't do idiotic dmg
    It was from auto attacking. Does your ret paladin ever auto attack? I think they may!

Allow me to come up with a more relevant example. You go to the shop and buy a bunch of items. You pay £10 for the items but the cashier gives you £100 in change by accident. Morality says you should give them the money back, however you are not a criminal if you don't. It wasn't you that made the mistake.
    Actually you could be considered a criminal as it is stealing even though the clerk made the mistake it was you that walked out of the store with money that was not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by shadeth View Post
    Given the HUGE number of ret paladins who did nothing other than play their normal rotation and got insane DPS, they most likely won't be banning many people at all. Blizzard is already faced with declining subscriptions, you REALLY THINK that they're going to ban tens of thousands (or more) of players to add to that problem? No. They won't. They'll give out a few warnings, and maybe a few dozen bans at most, probably to isolated people who really abused it for 2200+ arena ratings or high end heroic content. I've seen more game breaking mechanics in the past years such as the infamous "steam tonk controller" flag cap exploit go unpunished despite knowing many people who did it. So, no, don't expect many, if any rets to get banned from this. and no, I don't play a ret paladin.
    and because why is arena so different from pve? i'll give you a tip: it is not! punish everyone who (ab)used it, or do not punish anybody. don't try to argue that "killing that boss does not count; he used his normal rotation. but that 2200 score in arena. oha. ban him hard. pure intention!" is reasonable.

Can somebody please confirm if this bug has been fixed?

Also, was it simply from using Seal of Truth? Were there any other requirements?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    lmfao that guy is getting the bannhammer for sure. 4 manning 10 H shannox?

Quote Originally Posted by Life View Post
    Can somebody please confirm if this bug has been fixed?

Also, was it simply from using Seal of Truth? Were there any other requirements?
    It was from the Retribution talent Seals of Command.
    It could be done by using Seal of Truth and Seal of Righteousness and it happened every time you did a melee swing.

Deleted
    Is just me or all the guild that sploited are from the US?