Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

The world is a terrible place.

It's time for change.
    Last edited by Wakwazu; 2020-10-02 at 07:47 PM.

That is (literally) how language evolves.

For as long as I can remember literally has always been used to signify virtually or figuratively. I can't see any purpose in adding "literally" to further reinforce that a statment you are making is a fact.

You fight the good fight but don't be suprised if you are alone.

Deleted
    I literally cannot understand how this would affect you (or anyone) in any way whatsoever, and you're merely making a mountain out of a molecular molehill just for the sake of arguing, i'm not intending to use this in it's usual term of someone being supernerdy, but go outside, enjoy yourself with friends, the meaning of a word will mean alot less to you after a few stiff ones

(That would be drinks, not the other type of stiff one, unless you're into that and that would please you more, it's up to you)

Quote Originally Posted by Wakwazu View Post
    I was going to make a productive and positive post on educating Forum-Goers on the proper use of the word 'literally'. Then after some brief research I discovered that because the word is used in the wrong context so often that its incorrect definition is becoming valid thus rendering it its own antonym.

This is literally as if we started referring to cats as dogs for so long that we adopted the name dog to mean both cat or dog.

I will continue to fight the good fight! As long I am alive the word 'literally' will not mean virtually or figuratively. It remain to mean that whatever description follows the word will have actually happened!

Grammar Nazis of the world I ask for an alliance with the Vocabulary Nazis so we may put an end to this plague once and for all!
    You go into a dark room, and the only object you see appears to be coiled up into a corner. In your mind you think, "This is a snake", and you might even see a snake, but once the light is turned on you only see an old knotted rope.

And, if you were to call that old knotted rope anything else, like say an old knotted shoe, it would continue to fulfill the function we know a "rope" to fulfill.

People that use catch phrases such as "literally, like, really, etc" are simply trying to find words they can toss into sentences that allows them to assume other people know what they are talking about, without them actually saying anything. "Like, cool." It's not 'like cool'... make up your mind, cool or no. Often times, people may not have the vocabulary or the wittiness to substitute phrases or explanations into their little chat box gossip sentences on the fly. So they come up with these little quips. Surely we have all done it from time to time, with one word/phrase or another.

It's not rocket science, and it's not "bad". It's popular culture. If your world is so perfect that nitpicking someone's use of a word is the limit on what makes the world "terrible" to you, then perhaps you should get out more often. Trust me, there's much more suffering in this world than your little "I don't like how these words are used" spat.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's time for change.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friend: "These hot wings are literally amazing!"
    Me: "If you keep using that word incorrectly I will literally punch you in the neck."

True story.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Deleted
    I have virtually no idea what the fuss is all about.

15+ Year Old Account
    What the OP is hinting at i believe is that language shapes our reality and changing and/or modifying that language can have adverse effects on our world and that it is preferable for everyone to learn the words and do their best in expressing the nuances and vast variety that the English language has to offer lest we limit ourselves to a smaller and smaller box every generation ending up talking only with "like this" "like that" "like those".

I don't know where i read/heard of the notion that today people use allot less words than were used only 50 or 70 years ago and today if you express yourself using more complex wording and phrases people look at you as if you want to sound smart or brag about your language skills. I believe that's very sad. Terence McKenna once said that the world is made out of language, and because of that it can be "hacked" and used for mind control. People usually when faced with the concept of "mind control" think of some machine or satellite that uses waves of energy and alters people's minds, but the most obvious way of mind control is to limit the way one can express ideas and communicate or impede his/her cognitive ability or mental acuity.

There was one guy who wrote/talked about (i can't remember) how today people don't live their experiences anymore because they don't refer to them by description, but instead use the word "like" followed by anything close in their mind to the said experience. It's a bit far fetched but there is something there i feel.

Anyway, people shouldn't get so worked up because "grammar nazis" correct them all the time, in the end it's for a better cause.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Deleted
    Literally no one cares.....

What.... I mean, just what?!! Sense, this makes none. Language is constantly evolving. If it wasn't for evolution of the language, we'd probably still be talking like apes

Yo dawg! I heard you liked bases, so i put a base in your base, so i can base while you base

10+ Year Old Account
    I support this thread. Though I must say, I was expecting something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    That is (literally) how language evolves.
    This 1000 times.

Why would you want to fix this!? It's great hearing someone say "I literally got killed by that last exam" and then looking at them and saying "literally ey? You make a pretty damn good ghost!"

Well OP, you're just flat out wrong. (Orange you glad I didn't say literally?)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

Definition of LITERALLY
    : in a literal sense or manner : actually <took the remark literally> <was literally insane>
    : in effect : virtually <will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice

But you're right. The world is a terrible place, because you can't log on to forums without snot-nosed kids complaining about SOMETHING meaningless. This thread already happened awhile ago right here on mmo-champion.
    Last edited by Lilcheeks; 2012-02-02 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakwazu View Post
    Grammar Nazis of the world I ask for an alliance with the Vocabulary Nazis so we may put an end to this plague once and for all!
    A true linguist (I thought about saying cunning but... well...) knows the differences between prescriptive and descriptive rules of language and their respective appropriacy. What you term as grammar and vocabulary nazis are typically ignorant of that.

Deleted
    Words usage and their meaning evolves though/thru the generations, culture and society.

What once meant something specific nowadays has evolved or even degenerated to mean something else entirely.

Two examples I could state;

'Gay' prior to our modern understanding of 'homosexual' was actually a synonym for happy.

'Paedophile' again we all understand the current definition, however it derives from the ancient greek pedo + phile, or directly < Greek paidóphilos - loving children, and not in the sexual sense.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's time for change.

Deleted
    So what, we speak the same dialect for the next thousand years ?

Languages change (even without culture shocks such as invasion or occupation. Immigration, and new generations suffice). Deal with it.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 06:22 PM ----------

You kinda remind me of david Mitchell, only without being funny.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    For as long as I can remember literally has always been used to signify virtually or figuratively. I can't see any purpose in adding "literally" to further reinforce that a statment you are making is a fact.

You fight the good fight but don't be suprised if you are alone.
    You know it's kind of ironic that you spelled surprised wrong.