Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

mouse over macro? (pvp)

hey guys, so i was reading some random threads on the official forums, and some guy asked this.

"new to healing in pvp, whats the best advice you can share with me?"

and everyone seemed to respond with Grid vudhud or heal bot, but the most common response, was mouse over macro

soooo my question is this

how do mouse over macros work? i currently bind everything to my key bored.

#showtooltip
    /target mouseover
    /cast Lifebloom

Obviously where you target the mouse is where your target is...

/cast [@mouseover] Lifebloom

10+ Year Old Account
    im still confused on how this works

maybe someone could explain it a little better?

it seems like it just makes it possible for me to target someone in the field, and then push my keybind? instead of having to click their raid frame?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chenz View Post
    /cast [@mouseover] Lifebloom
    Use this instead of one that target the mousover, especially if you go arena. You'll be alot more diverse this way if you instead bind target arena 1-3 separately, and are still able to use mousovers without switching as needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    i mean, you can already click on the person in the field, how is the mouse over macro so helpfull?

im not doubting what people say, i just fail to see it. Possibly because i dont understand it just yet

please help

im alwasy looking for ways to heal better, especially as a disc priest. These mouse over macros have caught my attention today

Mouseover is awesome because you don't have to click on anything = less actions to do what you want = faster excution. Furthermore, not only does it work on people in the field, but also when you mouseover your raidframes, target, focus etc.

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 06:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sativaspirit View Post
    Mouseover is awesome because you don't have to click on anything = less actions to do what you want = faster excution.
    Ok this might be bollocks, what I meant to say was you get a much more fluid movement, you don't risk mis-clicking etc.

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=mouseover] spell.

What it does...If you have your mouse over a member or enemy it will go on him/her, if you have no mouseover it just dont work.

10+ Year Old Account
    soo lets say i want to make a mouse over macro for dispel.

i see my rouge is trapped in a ice root, i would just move my mouse over him and press my keybind?

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 11:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Durmindo View Post
    #showtooltip
    /cast [target=mouseover] spell.

What it does...If you have your mouse over a member or enemy it will go on him/her, if you have no mouseover it just dont work.

so i actually need my mouse on the target for the cast to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Kmb2603 View Post
    soo lets say i want to make a mouse over macro for dispel.

i see my rouge is trapped in a ice root, i would just move my mouse over him and press my keybind?
    Yes, or your raid frames for your group - I use that when healing, you don't have to be all over the screen with your targeting, you can keep everybody wthin quick reach in a fairly small area.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think im starting to see some advtanges of using mouse over macros now

it would enable me to focus on the field better, if i want to dispell an enemy i can do it with the same button as i would a friend

enabling me to play offensively and defensively effectively

Deleted
    Mouseover macros allow you to cast spells without targeting someone.
    This essentially enables you to do two things:
    You won't waste precious time between clicking a target frame and pressing a button on your keyboard
    and you can spare your target-frame for other information.

From a pvp point of view, mouseover macros aren't that suitable, because you have to look on your frames to hover your mouse over someone (same as if you actually click on a target-frame).
    In addition, you should learn using targeting-macros.
    Bind /target arena1-3 on seperate hotkeys (the mouse-wheel is an excellent place for this).
    This actually allows you to cast spells without the need to hover your mouse-cursor over something and you will have an easier time to LoS cc.
    You may also use parameters like /cast [@arena1] Hand of Freedom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrena View Post
    Mouseover macros allow you to cast spells without targeting someone.
    This essentially enables you to do two things:
    You won't waste precious time between clicking a target frame and pressing a button on your keyboard
    and you can spare your target-frame for other information.

From a pvp point of view, mouseover macros aren't that suitable, because you have to look on your frames to hover your mouse over someone (same as if you actually click on a target-frame).
    In addition, you should learn using targeting-macros.
    Bind /target arena1-3 on seperate hotkeys (the mouse-wheel is an excellent place for this).
    This actually allows you to cast spells without the need to hover your mouse-cursor over something and you will have an easier time to LoS cc.
    You may also use parameters like /cast [@arena1] Hand of Freedom.

great advice, this is awesome

yes, this is something im working with as we speak. However, im finding it hard to acutally make room for these targeting macros on my key bored. i currently use mouse wheel up and down for swd and and sw pain

Sorry to interrupt, but I heard the best way to perform in PvP is movement by mouse. If you use the move to move how can you target over to cast at the same time?

I disagree completely with mouseover macro. I much prefer using macros to send heals to specific players (ie: /cast [@party1] Lifebloom) or at least keybind party members.

With the first way, you can keep an eye on 2 opponents via target & focus and healing becomes extremely automatic: You mechanically do it as soon as you think about it.
    With the second way, you can save a lot of keybinds and still be extremely quick.

People will tell you that with a 1.5 sec GCD, you have the time to do a lot (even click), but if you make your gameplay automatic, you have 1.5 extra sec to think about what's going to happen in the future, to position yourself, to communicate, etc.

The idea is that it saves you 1 step for every skill you use:

Your way:
    click them to select them, hit keybind to heal/dispel/buff

Mouseover way:
    click them to heal/dispel/buff (or hit a keybind instead of clicking, but I really like my mouseover healing to be done with mouse buttons, seems more fluid that way)

It saves you a pretty tiny amount of time per cast, but when you add em all up it really makes a difference.

Plus it lets you keep your current target which helps for interrupts/offensive dispels/cc/etc

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    I disagree completely with mouseover macro. I much prefer using macros to send heals to specific players (ie: /cast [@party1] Lifebloom) or at least keybind party members.

With the first way, you can keep an eye on 2 opponents via target & focus and healing becomes extremely automatic: You mechanically do it as soon as you think about it.
    With the second way, you can save a lot of keybinds and still be extremely quick.

People will tell you that with a 1.5 sec GCD, you have the time to do a lot (even click), but if you make your gameplay automatic, you have 1.5 extra sec to think about what's going to happen in the future, to position yourself, to communicate, etc.
    This is arguably superior for arenas, but for battlegrounds of any kind you'll quickly run out of keyboard real estate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waat View Post
    you'll quickly run out of keyboard real estate.
    i wtb more keyboard real estate : (

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by waat View Post
    The idea is that it saves you 1 step for every skill you use:

Your way:
    click them to select them, hit keybind to heal/dispel/buff

Mouseover way:
    click them to heal/dispel/buff (or hit a keybind instead of clicking, but I really like my mouseover healing to be done with mouse buttons, seems more fluid that way)

i think i will try out this mouse over moving my dispell to mouse wheel down, and my shadow word death to mouse wheel up

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to urgely tell you that using mouseover macros in pvp is a very bad idea. If you are going to be mousing over people you won't have the ability to move with your mouse and that is a BIG deal. It's going to cost you, alot.

Instead, i would recommend using macro's like:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@PLAYERNAME] SPELLNAME
    Or
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@party1] PLAYERNAME

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    I would like to urgely tell you that using mouseover macros in pvp is a very bad idea. If you are going to be mousing over people you won't have the ability to move with your mouse and that is a BIG deal. It's going to cost you, alot.

Instead, i would recommend using macro's like:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@PLAYERNAME] SPELLNAME
    Or
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@party1] PLAYERNAME
    I agree with this. At first it might seem like a good idea, not having to target someone and still being able to cast the spell. But in the end it will make you keyboard-turn more often than you would think, and having the mouse free to move is just too important in PvP.

In order to cast on your party members you can use [@party1] or 2, 3. For enemies it's [@arena1] or 2, 3.

Somewhat related: I find that having a keybind for /targetlasttarget (it targets the target you had last) is just amazing! I have it bound to mouse-wheel-scrolldown, and I use it quite often (especially in non-arena settings though - it's better to use focus and/or @arenaN macros there).

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you Holo, i deff see what your saying and totally agree with you

i think your reasoning is why i was having such a hard time understanding how it would be helpful

i should of trusted my instinctive feeling, but instead i just assumed that all the posters saying" mouse over macros" was a good idea.

thank you for what you added, i have been currently trying to find a way to target people easier, i will deff be using a lot of the info you gave me to try and improve

thank you