The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Cooler Master is a sweet company

After speaking with a representative after receiving a successful RMA application, I am even more happy than before. On Wednesday I went to my local CompUSA (gone Tigerdirect) store and spoke with the managers about what I could do to return the brand new chassis (almost a year after buying the original faulty one) and they said so long as I could get the new chassis in a retail box, they would be willing to exchange it towards a Cosmos 2. Awesome, right? The only thing they warned me about was that a lot of companies tend to send replacements that go directly to peoples' houses in brown boxes, which they cannot sell a product in, brand new.

Here's why I am even more happy than before, I asked the representative about this on live chat and he said, quite simply, that since they are replacing the entire chassis, they'll be sending me a new one in original retail packaging! That means all I have to do is get $150 and not open the new HAF X and go to CompUSA and order a Cosmos 2!

I just can't get over how gorgeous the Cosmos 2 is. :P

So a big 2 thumbs up for Cooler Master!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    and there was me prepared to say i thought they sold computer parts ....

(just kidding)

sounds like a pretty sweet (hehe) deal yeah, my only interaction with coolermaster is that i bought one of their cases (912+) from a retailer and it's frickin awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... now I'm just trying to figure out how I should ship this bloody thing. Probably going to cost like $20 in shipping fees. x_x
    "A flower.

Cooler master's great. I got a Storm sentinel advance for like 30 dollars.

$20 at least, I work for a bank and we frequently have to send the little printer/validators in for repair. The box we ship them in is only 18"x13"x13" and weights 10lbs and they cost $15/ea - ground service (the cheapest option).

That being said, pretty sweet that you'll be paying so little for the Cosmos 2. The only experience I've had with Cooler Master stuff is the Hyper 212+, which was kind of a pain in the butt (I'm told the Corsair A70 is 5x easier to install).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    That being said, pretty sweet that you'll be paying so little for the Cosmos 2. The only experience I've had with Cooler Master stuff is the Hyper 212+, which was kind of a pain in the butt (I'm told the Corsair A70 is 5x easier to install).
    Yeah, I remember when I got my first Hyper 212+... took both my friend and I working on it to get it installed. And he had built computers before, he thought it was quite an absurd cooler. Ultimately I lost one of the standoffs, so I essentially have a Hyper 212+ lying around on the floor doing nothing.

And yeah, $20 shipping doesn't sound like too shocking of an amount, I kind of expect it to be like $20-30.

---------- Post added 2012-02-03 at 09:05 PM ----------

So, based on Drunkenvalley's obsession with the Silverstone Raven RV01 and since he actually was originally looking at getting the Cosmos 2 but then opted for the Raven RV01.... I just looked up the Raven RV01 and watched a hardwarecanucks review of it....

Holy crap. What a slick nice case. >_>

Now I'm totally torn between the two. I really like them both. =/ Though the Cosmos 2 is $150, I'd only have to give CompUSA like $10 to get the RV01 since my receipt shows I got the HAF X on sale for $190.... hmmm

Suggestions?
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Well, if you're planning on going water cooling at some point, I'd opt for the Cosmos II.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Yeah, I think I'd go with the Cosmos 2, looks like it would be easier to work with... They both look awesome though.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much Ground will always be the best option as an Express/Air option will run you on average 3x what ground is.

OT: I have a HAF 932X case undergoing renovation atm and just purchased my wife a HAF 912 to build her a new pc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I really like both cases, but the Raven RV01 I'd have to shell out at most $10 to get versus the Cosmos 2 which is another $150. I probably won't be going liquid anytime soon, tbqh. Turns out 2-3 day shipping is like $57, with 5 day shipping being $30. :P lol

Onto an even more imminent thing though.... until I get a new chassis, I will be without a chassis altogether. Here's my question to you guys, MoBox computer, how do I best go about it? My friend said he thinks you put the static bag under the motherboard on top of the mobo box, is that the case? I thought you just put the mobo on top of the box directly. O_o Otherwise I'll be going 2-3 weeks without a computer....
    "A flower.

Whenever I run a motherboard outside the case, I just set it on top of the box... I'd be too worried about melted plastic if I put it on top of the bag... As long as it isn't touching metal, it shouldn't short, and cardboard is very resistant to static, so that shouldn't be a concern.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-03 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Whenever I run a motherboard outside the case, I just set it on top of the box... I'd be too worried about melted plastic if I put it on top of the bag... As long as it isn't touching metal, it shouldn't short, and cardboard is very resistant to static, so that shouldn't be a concern.
    Okay thanks. I can't find anything about this on Google. Too many "motherboard box computer" searches just turn up being "check out the computer I built. Here's the motherboard box, here's the gpu box... etc"

-.-

Definitely should put this up on my desk though to keep it away from the dogs, yeah? ;p
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Okay thanks. I can't find anything about this on Google. Too many "motherboard box computer" searches just turn up being "check out the computer I built. Here's the motherboard box, here's the gpu box... etc"

-.-

Definitely should put this up on my desk though to keep it away from the dogs, yeah? ;p

Something like that?

I put my board on top of static bags. You pretty much have to take an open flame to them for them to start melting.

Plus, if the parts were getting hot enough to actually melt the static bags... I would have had major stability issues well prior to smelling something similar to burning tires.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    My one dealing with CM support was through an email... which was never returned. Awful.

That being said, I have 2 of their products and am happy with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    <snipped image>

Something like that?
    Yes, but holy good God Asera! That curtain piece is bloody close to the motherboard and stuff. =S

I can barely tell you used the static bag though. O_o
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    So on the Newegg guide on How to build a computer Pt 2 it says not to set the Mobo on the Anti static bag as the outside is conductive.

I'm no expert but I followed it as I wasn't taking any chances. Just what knowledge I learned.

He says that at about the 5:50 mark.
    Veridian Dynamics. Friendship. It's so important. But it's different at work. Time spent with friends at work robs your employer of opportunity. And robbing people is wrong. Veridian Dynamics. Friendship. It's the same as stealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skesh View Post
    So on the Newegg guide on How to build a computer Pt 2 it says not to set the Mobo on the Anti static bag as the outside is conductive.

I'm no expert but I followed it as I wasn't taking any chances. Just what knowledge I learned.

He says that at about the 5:50 mark.
    Thanks for the find!
    "A flower.

Just a heads up. Don't ever sit a powered device on top of an antistatic bag, especially not a motherboard. Some are only slightly conductive on the outside, others are very much so.

TL;DR version: Sitting mobo on antistatic bag is a recipe for disaster.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7