10+ Year Old Account

Sharing Network connection

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a way to share my computers network connection with my phone.

Computer is connected via Ethernet to the wall (I only have 1 wall socket and I can't plug a hub/router in)
    Computer has a Wireless-N USB Adapter (Tenda W322N)
    Computer has Bluetooth (built into the ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO board)

The tenda software does allow me to setup the network connection as an access point... but it only seems to allow the connection to the network... it doesn't allow for file sharing or internet sharing....

You can enable internet connection sharing on the wireless adapter which will then issue an IP to the phone. Don't use he Tenda software use the ICS feature built into windows.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I'm at it with a network related problem... how do I delete or forget "known networks"?

Everytime I connect to the network it pops up and says "Connected to " any number between "Network 2" and "Network 25" while at Uni... (seems to randomly alternate between any number in that range)

---------- Post added 2012-02-05 at 02:42 PM ----------

Should also probably mention I'm only "supposed" to have 1 device connected so I'd probably need to set up some sort of NAT, and use the same IP for both devices.

Deleted
    Code:
    netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Djinni key=WPA2KEY
    Code:
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    The first command enables and sets the setting for the Windows 7 access point feature.
    The second starts the actual access point.

Just set the computer to share the main WLAN connection in Windows, and you're set.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Code:
    netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Djinni key=WPA2KEY
    Code:
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    The first command enables and sets the setting for the Windows 7 access point feature.
    The second starts the actual access point.

Just set the computer to share the main WLAN connection in Windows, and you're set.
    Okay looks simple enough... Thanks!

---------- Post added 2012-02-05 at 10:38 PM ----------

Works great.... except that it kicks me off every other minute...

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, sorted out the "kicking off" It appears that the connecting device cannot get an IP.

I don't want to give the connecting device another IP I just need it to use the IP my Computer has...

---------- Post added 2012-02-08 at 09:15 PM ----------

I need it, in effect to share the same IP

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Devices on the same subnet require a unique IP, assign one to the phone on the private network and bridge the private and University (I assume?) networks. It's probably the easiest way to handle NAT.

NAT will still give your handheld an IP address. Your handheld treats the computer as a router so will definitely get a different IP address. Any restriction you have on your uni network about IP address's etc SHOULD be completely ignored as your uni network just see's stuff from your handheld as being from your computer.

Try this (assuming windows 7):
    Go into my computer
    Click link on left for networks
    right click, properties in the main window
    select "adapter properties"
    select your wireless device and right click, properties
    set the IPv4 address to 192.168.0.1
    click apply.

Right click on the network card connected to your halls internet
    click "share connection"
    you get a drop down box to select which network adapter to share it with, pick the wireless
    click apply

I think from here you SHOULD then be able to see the wireless card on your handhelds available connections. I might be forgetting a step or 2 though as not infront of my own machine at the moment (at work).

NAT works as thus though:
    Your handheld on 192.168.0.2 wants a web page so it sends the request
    The request goes to your computer, it makes an entry on the routing table noting that anything for port 23525 (random number) should be directed to 192.168.0.2:80 (the web port on your handheld)
    The request thus leaves your computer as being from 167.34.234.23:23525 (or whatever IP your computer has on the uni/halls network).
    The request carries on through various links is serviced and eventually comes back with your uni network directing it at 167.34.234.23:23525
    Your computer knows that all data to this port is ACTUALLY for your handheld and passes the data along
    Repeat

So as you see, NAT basically hides all the devices behind it, everything LOOKS like it's coming from the NAT enabled machine on a strange port and due to how TCP/IP works is still serviced fine.

The only stumbling block MAY be that your uni blocks weird port numbers in which case you may have to get some NAT software so the routing table sets up around certain common port numbers that you don't use (eg port 23 for FTP).
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2012-02-09 at 03:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, very helpful thanks (in so much as the explanation was useful) However unfortunately it gets me no further than I was before. My Nokia still says "Invalid Server Name" whatever web connection you try to use. I have a feeling that I will get the same result on the laptop and the Galaxy S2, (They will be unable to obtain a valid IP)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a way to share my computers network connection with my phone.

Computer is connected via Ethernet to the wall (I only have 1 wall socket and I can't plug a hub/router in)
    Computer has a Wireless-N USB Adapter (Tenda W322N)
    Computer has Bluetooth (built into the ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO board)

The tenda software does allow me to setup the network connection as an access point... but it only seems to allow the connection to the network... it doesn't allow for file sharing or internet sharing....
    Have you tried, http://www.thedailybuggle.com/wifi-h...ee-windows-pc/ ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackii87 View Post
    Checked it out, unfortunately doesn't do anything DarkXale hadn't already shown me how to do ;-)

( I did try disabling the firewall, but still cannot connect to the web with the wifi device.)

I have used Connectify on my laptop to share my internet connection with my iPhone and other devices. Haven't tested it on a desktop. Easy to use and install, free lite version does the job fine. You can even see connected users in real time. It's not letting me post a link but google "Connectify".

Deleted
    Yeah, as few noted you should try different software then; a really detailed hotspot "free software" guide is here too; http://www.raymond.cc/blog/create-a-...utes-for-free/

10+ Year Old Account
    Still no joy

Connectify let me create a network... but that was about it.... I couldn't connect to it or anything.

As for the raymond.cc link... Firstly it appears aimed at a WinXP machine and secondly the first comment I see on the page is:
    Not only is the website of the company down, it also appears that this software is a spyware / malware.

It reports to the developers the URLs that are being visited and makes permanent damaging modifications to the registry that make it impossible to uninstall this software.
    Doesn't fill me with confidence.