Thread: Zelda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    There is a reason it is regarded as one of the best franchises of all time. But yeah go for the 3D ones as the Gameboy ones are pretty rubbish. If you want 2D go for the on the SNES I think it was but the name slips my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenano View Post
    There is a reason it is regarded as one of the best franchises of all time. But yeah go for the 3D ones as the Gameboy ones are pretty rubbish. If you want 2D go for the on the SNES I think it was but the name slips my mind.
    LoZ: Link to the past.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

This may be a little off topic but if you like those games you mentioned you should also try games from the 'Tales of []' series.
    Tales of the Abyss for ps2/n3ds (or whatever that new nintendo handheld is called )
    Tales of Symphonia for gamecube (the 2nd part for Wii isn't that good but also not bad)
    Tales of Vesperia for Xbox360
    Tales of Eternia for PSP
    now coming: Tales of Graces f for PS3 and in some time Tales of Xilla g and for PSvita, if you want to buy one, Tales of Innocence.
    There are even more but those are the only ones I know. Those are quite much like Final Fantasy from the roots. There are always some villains and the world is in danger because it got corrupted (the mana flow, the balance of the world etc.). They got everything a good RPG needs (imo), almost every game of the serious has a lot of sidequests, characters and side/fun professions to level up and items/gear to gather.

I also really love the Zelda series but, for example the newest one, it's really fun to play but this linear-non-progressive play system (yeah, you get more items and some hearts...but nothing to skill individually or other characters to play) stops me from playing a 'zelda-session' (sitting infront of my TV playing one single game from 0-50/100% in one rush because it's so fascinating) thus I play one temple (or whatever you want to call it) per 2-3 days. After I'll have finished it I'll either start again or finish all the other sidequest stuff.
    This may be confusing because I stated at the beginning that I get bored of the system etc. but I keep saying in conclusion that I love all zelda games and re-play them many times completing everything.

Zelda games are super good and fun to play but they are no (real) RPG imho because of their linear gamestyle. Yeah, FFXIII is like that too but when you play FFxyz it's more like you watch a movie or read a book telling a story that you enjoy and can do other stuff. Zelda is more like 'I WANT TO FINISH THIS GAME AND KILL DEM ENDBOSSES' (even though they added more sidequests in Skyward Sword and Majoras Mask is full of them...OoT/TP/twW also have some but they aren't comparable with sidequests from other RPG where sidequests tell you additional infos about some of the main characters or give you more information about they plot etc.)

TL;DR: Zelda: really good, everyone should play it (real RPG-nerds maybe shouldn't try it because there is no real 'in-game-lore' except some 'old tales')
    Tales of series: every RPG fan should try them! they are available for every console so no excuses!

I love the Zelda series as a whole (though there were a few games that I personally couldn't get into), so I'd agree with everyone else telling you to at least check them out.

As most have said, they're adventure games which typically include a lot of puzzles. I personally wouldn't consider them RPGs, but I'm not even sure what constitutes as an RPG. At any rate, you don't gain experience levels and so.

And by puzzles, we don't mean logic puzzles or the like. Basically, the general formula is that as you progress you find new tools, which allow you to access more areas. For example in one dungeon you might pick up bombs that automatically explode after a few seconds. With those, now you can blow up cracked walls, and solve puzzles where you might want to damage something after a few seconds rather than immediately (by placing a bomb there, moving to wherever you want to be, and then letting the delayed explosion hit it). So a lot of puzzles are finding creative uses with the tools you have.

But then now that you have bombs, you will want to think back to everywhere you've seen a cracked wall, and be on the further lookout for any cracked walls anywhere in the game. Maybe you recall seeing one in another area, and now you want to explore what happens if you blow that up.

Bosses usually also consist of using your new tools. More often than not it's not just a sword fight; if you've just picked up a Grappling Hook, maybe you have to use it to pry off the enemy's scales first, and then pull it down before you can slash it. (I may have just made that one up, but I'm sure it sounds like a feasible Zelda example.)

As you progress, you'll get more and more ways to explore areas that you may have been to. Secret areas and doing side quests can often reward Heart Pieces; collect these to permanently increase your maximum health. So that part's kiinda like leveling, except your upgrades come through exploration rather than grinding.

I'd say it's fun. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Shaiandra; 2012-02-06 at 03:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    Zelda is a name I hear quite often mentioned by people here on this forum. I have never touched a Zelda game in my life, at one point I was even so ignorant that I refered to Zelda as the guy you play and my friend mocked me about it, so then I learned that his name was infact Link...

I grew up with a playstation as a console and spent a lot of time with Final Fantasy games, that's how I realised I really enjoy RPGs. Is Zelda one of those games from the past worth checking out? I am not bothered by bad graphics. Why did you like it?

Other games I've enjoyed to give you an idé where I'm coming from: Final Fantasy 8-10, Tombi 1-2, World of Warcraft, Skyrim and Tibia.
    Zelda is different. It's more of an action adventure than a RPG.

If you are unsure of the playstyle I can assure you that you will love it. I haven't met anyone yet who didn't like the playstyle of the zelda games.

Now with the presentation and setting I can see some problems. If you really hate SNES graphics then obviously the zelda games for the system and the GBC are not for you. Also the presentation and storyline is sometimes abit childish. Personally I like those silly moments but you might not.

If you are die hard into grow up storylines check out Darksiders maybe.
    (You have to play for like 1 hr to reach the part where the gameplay goes into Zelda mode though at the start it feels more like God of War.)

Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    You probably played some more Super Metroid then Zelda since the hero in green suit you describe as Zelda is called Link
    The dude in the suit is named Metroid, right?

When I think of the Zelda series, the first thing that comes to mind is the music. You've probably heard it said that you could watch Star Wars, take out all the dialogue, and fully comprehend the story just from the music because the music is so perfectly suited to what's happening on screen. Zelda is a lot like that. From the title screen of A Link to the Past to the final battle with Ganon, the music is unforgettable, and describes the mood, the setting, and the activity taking place at any time to a T. All the Zelda games I've played were like that. The first time you step into the Temple of Time in Ocarina, shivers will run down your back. From Majora's Mask, the music in Ikana Canyon lends such unbelievable weight and tension that putting it on your MP3 player will have you hunching your shoulders and looking behind you to see what's sneaking up as soon as the track begins.

If you like 16 bit era games then I suggest A link to the past which is arguably one of the best games for the SNES (which is the greatest system of all time <--- SNES fanboy). Its one of the better Zelda games ever made.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    It's a girl

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    Maybe "Adventure" would be a better term then? I think my friend has that Ocarina of time, gonna bugg him to let me play it.
    2012 and haven't beaten OoT? Your gamer-card should be revoked.

Seriously though, there's a reason they're so popular. It's just my opinion, though I'm sure many would share it, but it's probably THE greatest gaming franchise ever. Even if you don't play all of them (even though you should) play Ocarina of Time (video game nirvana), Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and A Link to the Past (from what I hear Skyward Sword as well, but I feel I should hold off recomending it till I finish it.)

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 09:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Lol, "Is Metroid's gun a part of his arm?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Seriously though, there's a reason they're so popular. It's just my opinion, though I'm sure many would share it, but it's probably THE greatest gaming franchise ever. Even if you don't play all of them (even though you should) play Ocarina of Time, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and A Link to the Past (from what I hear Skyward Sword as well, but I feel I should hold off recomending it till I finish it.)[COLOR="red"]
    Skyward Sword is awesome, not a OoT awesome, but just "It's LoZ awesome". Hate the controls (slash fast and you kill anything and some of the bss fight's were just, funny but TOO easy).
    If you want, you can go even further back>NES Zelda's, but i highly doubt you can find those / the console if you don't own it

Just like everybody else: Just try it, you might like it, you might not. Boss fight's aren't really "hard", and most of the game is just using simple logic. Don't think too hard in the game or you might get lost.

Link's awakening (gameboy pocket, or DX for color>extra dungeon and in color) is imo one of the great example's of LoZ.

And ofcourse, great story. Altho i think that if you REALLY want to play Zelda, you should start with OoT>MM>TP>SS. Altho the 'story' would be in a completely different order, being SS the first in the story line to play, but that's something completely else.

Try the game, play till atleast the first temple (3 dungeon's, 5 temple's), you will like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

Deleted
    I'd recommend you go play Ocarina of Time (Big plus if you have a 3DS) or Wind Waker. My two favorites!

Ocarina of Time is honestly one of the best games ever made, not just on Nintendo, but overall. To this day I still go back and play it every now and then. If you have any interest at all in the LoZ games buy it NOW.

Everyone confuses Zelda for an RPG, so no worries.

It's pretty much shaped gaming to what it is today, there are so many titles in the series that are considered master pieces, I think the only one to have "meh" reaction was Zelda 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn this thread... I already have like 6 or 7 games I'm in the middle of and now I wanna replay OoT, MM, TP, WW, LA, and ALttP...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    zelda is the best thing to come out of nintendo....period
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

The Legend of Zelda series is THE best story/adventure(/a bit puzzle, in dungeons) game that I have ever played, now I did grow up with a Nintendo along with Ocarina of Time and other titles but still, if you are looking to pass time and have a really good time doing it this is really something you have to look into playing. You definitely have to play all the console games (1st and 2nd Zelda was kind of meh, personal opinion, but that's because it was before "my" time I suppose..) also some handheld gameboy Zelda games are also worth checking out. I love Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword the most probably, but really, you have to play all the titles as it varies a lot from person to person, but wether or not there is an option to play the games or not.., I would say you don't have an option go spend 100+ hours now on Zelda games, you certainly won't regret it.
    Thazzle, Warlock in <Sanitas> on Frostwhisper-EU, World #3 10man guild.
    Sanitas Guild Website
    Main Armory

You're not a gamer until you've whipped out your Master Sword. True story. Go buy the games <3

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Damn this thread... I already have like 6 or 7 games I'm in the middle of and now I wanna replay OoT, MM, TP, WW, LA, and ALttP...
    My deepest apologies...

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    You're not a gamer until you've whipped out your Master Sword. True story. Go buy the games <3
    Well, I used to have http://www.wowhead.com/item=11902. Does it count?
    Last edited by Niku; 2012-02-06 at 07:05 PM.

I am old where I even had the original 2 titles for the NES and continued to get each one as I grew up through nintendo systems. I had other games too but that game has stayed constant with its type of game play in almost every title and that is why I enjoy the zelda series. I never had the cd-i ones but those how ever are the only ones I've heard negative reviews on. I still think Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is the hardest one to this day.
    Last edited by chuckthemage; 2012-02-06 at 07:07 PM.