Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    First if, you want good and challenging raid mechanics with trinity, go to Rift. When you compare Rift raiding and present WoW raiding.. warcraft looks like a.. fan made game to be honest :/. The good era of WoW raiding was in TBC, at Ulduar and just at the beginning of Cataclysm before they've nerfed everything down to the point where there was no challenge left. I liked vanilla raids too, but they were sometimes.. you know.. too "straightforward".

Thing is, I don't have any interest in convincing anyone that combat can be challenging and complex without trinity. Though it DOES scares the living sh** out of me when people can't grasp simple concepts like this. Seriously, I'm "this" close to start question people's IQ.. because it's natural that everyone has its preferences, but it's saddening fact when one can't distinguish circle from a square...

Deleted
    Bored of followingthis thread now, seems to me people are just running around in circles.

One person reads first page and responds, "OMG trinity does exist", one person explains why not, more QQ, some comments on ability to grasp new information.

Then someone knew comes in and reads first page (without reading anything else) and this happens all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Watch this:
    why there is thrall running around at 4th minute or so ?;o

Give gw 2 already btw :S

Quote Originally Posted by Torstein View Post
    Just fell in love.
    This video makes no sense. When you want to play in a group and nobody want to play the healing role you have to seek for someone who does that too. The fact that every character can play tank, dps and heal doesnt mean that you never search for a heal.
    In WoW for example most dps has tank/heal dualspecc but most of them dont say "hey we need a healer, i can heal!" they just want someone else to do that.

Role switching in combat? wow, that sounds intresting but im sure in reality that sucks.
    Imagine a raid encounter.
    Teamspeak/Ventrilo conversation:
    Raidleader: "Oh who tanks now? Ok Boss focuses PlayerA. Heal him."
    HealerA: "I switched to dps"
    HealerB: "I switched to support HealerA"
    All DPS: "Healing wtf?! We do so much damage!!"
    !Wipe!

In reality players will play tanks, dps or heals like in every other mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze. View Post
    this video makes no sense. When you want to play in a group and nobody want to play the healing role you have to seek for someone who does that too. The fact that every character can play tank, dps and heal doesnt mean that you never search for a heal.
    In wow for example most dps has tank/heal dualspecc but most of them dont say "hey we need a healer, i can heal!" they just want someone else to do that.

Role switching in combat? Wow, that sounds intresting but im sure in reality that sucks.
    Teamspeak/ventrilo conversation:
    Raidleader: "oh who tanks now? Ok boss focuses playera. Heal him."
    healera: "i switched to dps"
    healerb: "i switched to support healera"
    all dps: "healing wtf?! We do so much damage!!"
    !wipe!

omg... Go back, and read this thread for why you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I'm surprised this thread is still alive, but I'll donate another 2 cents.

I think people are trying, like people have said, to fit a round peg into a square hole with this subject. There is a lot of definition broadening that makes the term 'trinity' pointless. When you try to say "GW2 still has the trinity, you can just switch on the fly" it's the same thing as saying "In GW2 you do what you need to do in combat."

When you think about it, if you use the term 'trinity' like in the first quote, then really all games the center around combat have a 'trinity' combat system.
    In Zelda you Block (tank), swing your sword (dps) and use potions (Heal).
    In Mario you avoid enemies (tank) jump on enemies (dps) and eat mushrooms (heal).
    In castlevania you avoid enemies (tank) whip enemies (dps) and eat meat in the walls (heal.)
    In Megaman you avoid enemies (tank) shoot lemons at enemies (dps) and get health drops (heal.)
    I could do this all day.

Now would you say these games have the trinity? NO. You wouldn't. Why? Because MMORPGs have the stigma that if you do anything the pertains to taking/absorbing/dodging damage that is tanking, if you do damage of any kind you're dps, and if you're healing yourself or teammates you're a healer and you somehow fit into the trinity no matter how versatile one can accomplish those roles alone.

Trinity means that you have a single roles to fill (tank/dps/heal) and you do those roles through out. MMO developers have taken steps to blur the lines of the trinity with class hybrids and dual specs, but the trinity system is still there because a pure dps class can't heal or tank, a player in a healing role wastes the capacity to heal by doing dps and can't tank, and a tank can do only mediocre dps and can't value from casting heals himself.

Trinity suggests limitation of the character to fill only one role at any given time.
    If you can switch roles freely, or react, then I'd say there is no trinity.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-02-08 at 01:09 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze. View Post
    This video makes no sense. When you want to play in a group and nobody want to play the healing role you have to seek for someone who does that too. The fact that every character can play tank, dps and heal doesnt mean that you never search for a heal.
    In WoW for example most dps has tank/heal dualspecc but most of them dont say "hey we need a healer, i can heal!" they just want someone else to do that.

Role switching in combat? wow, that sounds intresting but im sure in reality that sucks.
    !Wipe!

/sigh

go read about gw

1. there are no GW2 raids
    2. There are no targetted heals
    3. there are no taunt abilites
    4. it is a completely new combat system, omg!!

Can SOMEONE please put a sticky about the combat system, this is doing my head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    why there is thrall running around at 4th minute or so ?;o

Give gw 2 already btw :S
    The guy in green?

Not all green guys are Orcs you know

It's a Norn Scholar, Necromancer to be exact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    First if, you want good and challenging raid mechanics with trinity, go to Rift. When you compare Rift raiding and present WoW raiding.. warcraft looks like a.. fan made game to be honest :/. The good era of WoW raiding was in TBC, at Ulduar and just at the beginning of Cataclysm before they've nerfed everything down to the point where there was no challenge left. I liked vanilla raids too, but they were sometimes.. you know.. too "straightforward".

Thing is, I don't have any interest in convincing anyone that combat can be challenging and complex without trinity. Though it DOES scares the living sh** out of me when people can't grasp simple concepts like this. Seriously, I'm "this" close to start question people's IQ.. because it's natural that everyone has its preferences, but it's saddening fact when one can't distinguish circle from a square...
    This is exactly my thought. The shear amount of stupidity I’ve read in this thread is disheartening to say the least. The only thing that makes me smile is the fact that the game is too far along the development curve to allow any potential change regarding the possible addition of that terrible system to be added.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Oh there were Tanks in GW1 alright.

You had a puller, puller sprints back. Go around a corner, tank stays at the point of the corner. Use survival abilities. People Nuke, Win.
    Doesn't work the same way as in WoW though because of the way that aggro works in GW1. Yes, there were builds that could absorb, mitigate and avoid damage (Dolyak Signet Warriors, Avoidance Rangers, 55 Monks, 330 Rits, and so on), but they weren't truly tanks in the EQ-Style MMO sense because they didn't hold or generate more aggro than the next guy.
    Last edited by Blznsmri; 2012-02-08 at 01:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze. View Post

!Wipe!

I agree with Aurie. I've been reading this thread with interest, now I'm simply bored of the ignorance being expressed.

If you are going to comment on a thread please ensure you have enough information from either reading it or doing some research into the topic before posting baseless statements.

Anyways, it's been fun you all, but I've had my fill of this
    Last edited by mmocecbb5aff6b; 2012-02-08 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typos

It would be nice if this thread would die and get buried, simply because it has been discussed to death and the same points are just being re-discussed constantly when someone else reads the first page, thinking they're bringing some crazy new revelation.. but I doubt it will happen. Thread will probably continue on for a few more days, at the very least.

Im sorry but i dont find it appealing at all ill stick to other mmos then goodluck everyelse playing it have fun!peace.

Infracted; Not posting constructively
    Last edited by Jovanaar; 2012-02-08 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    Im sorry but i dont find it appealing at all ill stick to other mmos then goodluck everyelse playing it have fun!peace.
    Oh my dear god, your recent posts are almost all you explaining that "Btw, Gw2 looks lame".
    If you don't want to play it, don't play it.. no reason to post in every thread "Hey, I know you've never heard of me, but I don't like your game."

That is all.

Post constructively next time
    Last edited by Jovanaar; 2012-02-08 at 02:49 PM.

Mod just lock this thread.... it is honestly people going around in circles... we have tried our best to explain it... now I think they are just trolling

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandrea View Post
    Mod just lock this thread.... it is honestly people going around in circles... we have tried our best to explain it... now I think they are just trolling
    I suggested a lock way back, this thread wount bring anything new to the table.

---------- Post added 2012-02-08 at 03:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post

That is all.
    And i think this proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandrea View Post
    The problem is people keep coming in without reading the the rest of the thread, and the conversation loops back trying to re-explain how the system will work to the new person. It really is sad to see how many people are misinformed how the combat system is going to work, and I will no doubt be annoyed heavily come launch dealing with people either asking people to play dedicated roles, or trying to come up with some weird role switching system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Oh my dear god, your recent posts are almost all you explaining that "Btw, Gw2 looks lame".
    If you don't want to play it, don't play it.. no reason to post in every thread "Hey, I know you've never heard of me, but I don't like your game."
    Don't know if it's allowed, but QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    The problem is people keep coming in without reading the the rest of the thread, and the conversation loops back trying to re-explain how the system will work to the new person. It really is sad to see how many people are misinformed how the combat system is going to work, and I will no doubt be annoyed heavily come launch dealing with people either asking people to play dedicated roles, or trying to come up with some weird role switching system.
    Got at least 4 friends who will be playing, even casually? Should be more than fine with just them for groupy stuffs until you start doing like, real.. content..
    I have a feeling my ! and $ will spend quite a bit of time turned off, assuming the chat works the same as GW1.

Erm, for the first month or so, that is. One of the most frustrating things about Aion for me (besides it being a pretty terrible game on release) was the fact that you could not go literally ONE MINUTE without seeing a WoW comparison in some global chat channel for the first couple weeks.

Deleted
    Game Bashing
    It may seem strange, but many people like more than one game. If you want to compare to other games, you need to be constructive. Just bashing other games, including coming into this forum just to bash GW2, because you think it looks dumb, or not as cool as your game will gain you infractions. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-2-forum-rules