Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    It's not even an RPG...
    Technically it's an action/adventure RPG

10+ Year Old Account
    Z-targeting system. A classic story of good vs evil. Time travel. Such memorable tunes that get orchestrated, even today. Side quests (never did get all the gold skultulas). The dungeon designs (omg, wait until you get to the water temple. You'll pull your hair out).

It's just the game that defined the system. Of course, it's all personal taste. With that said, there has to be a reason so many critics gave it a perfect 10/10.

Oh, and navi screaming "HEY. LISTEN!" every 4 minutes is a hoot.

Personally, I say withhold judgment until you finish the game. For me, the game starts out slow, and it just gets progressively better. The final boss is my favorite part of the game, and is just perfect in my opinion.

Keep in mind, if you just became adult Link, you just finished the prologue. The first 3 dungeons were baby starter dungeons of weaksauce. The next dungeon, the forest temple, is quite a bit more fun imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    you would have had to experience it back when is was current generation to fully enjoy it

It's not even an RPG...
    It has RPG elements in it though. You can't deny that 20 heart + defensive upgrade adult Link with Big-goron Sword and Nayru's Love is better than 3 heart kid Link with Kokiri Sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    One word of warning...you WILL get tired of 'HEY! LISTEN!' ><
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Personally, I say withhold judgment until you finish the game. For me, the game starts out slow, and it just gets progressively better. The final boss is my favorite part of the game, and is just perfect in my opinion.

Keep in mind, if you just became adult Link, you just finished the prologue. The first 3 dungeons were baby starter dungeons of weaksauce. The next dungeon, the forest temple, is quite a bit more fun imo.
    Yeah pretty much what this guy said, while the game is fun as a kid it only gets better and better when you're an adult and you see throughout your journey how the world has changed and been ravaged by your disappearance (think Avatar TLA)
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

It's nostalgia. I played it as a kid, it's boring as shit. Sure Zelda is a badass series, but Majora's Mask is way better. OoT is just not my cup o' tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    It has RPG elements in it though. You can't deny that 20 heart + defensive upgrade adult Link with Big-goron Sword and Nayru's Love is better than 3 heart kid Link with Kokiri Sword.
    True, but it's rpg elements are so minor to the whole feel of the gameplay imo
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    One word of warning...you WILL get tired of 'HEY! LISTEN!' ><
    and that damn owl if you are a button masher

True, but it's rpg elements are so minor to the whole feel of the gameplay imo
    I agree, that's why 3 heart broken giant's knife playthroughs are possible. If the RPG elements were the main determining factor in a fight, that wouldn't be possible. I still feel like a total bouse though when I pop Nayru's love and start cuttin' fools with my huge sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik8ball View Post
    While everyone may have their own opinion, Zelda: Ocarina of Time is most widely known as "the best video game ever released." My question is why? I, being a member of Generation Z, never owned the N64, so I never played it. I recently bought it for the Wii's Virtual Console, and I am currently just past the Temple of Time as old link. I like the game, but it just doesn't seem like "the greatest game ever." To those of you that loved it, what made you love it? Does it get better later on?
    it was revolutionary at the time it really brought you into the world of Hyrule. I would have to play it again but I remember how massive it was compared to the older ones and how much freedom you had to explore.

My girlfriend bought the 3DS version of OoT. She hasn't played the Cooking Mama game I got her for Christmas since she got OoT.

She really fucking wanted Cooking Mama, and Ocarina of Time looks to the be the first video game ever she will actually have completed. Bongo Bongo screwed with her some, but she never even needed my help, and while she's not bad at games, her attention span is lacking enough that she never gives herself a chance to be good.

I, too, really liked LttP more, but my experience of her experience tells me that Ocarina is a damned good game if she was actually willing to try to beat it, and I've even got her wanting a port of Majora's Mask to be released.

In non-anecdote terms, 3D games were still pretty novel, so seeing Zelda gameplay that way was hugely awesome. OP lacks the context the game was released in. Maybe we were just a lucky generation. Whenever my friends tell me about Battlefield and Call of Duty, I yawn. People tell me about these awesome kills they get in Halo, and all I can think of is how slow Halo felt to me after years of Unreal Tournament (1999 version!).

Similar games I can think of that were just awesome and can't ever be beaten: Mega Man Legends, Metal Gear Solid, Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, Metroid Prime...see the pattern? Old franchises that people already loved, brought into a whole new dimension to experience.
    Last edited by Imadraenei; 2012-02-07 at 06:14 AM.
    Now, THIS thing? THIS thing is horrible. It's just awful. It was awful at 60 and it was awful at 58. It's awful at 45. If this dropped off a mob in Wailing Caverns when you were level 17 and being run through by a higher level character, you would equip it ONLY because you don't have trinkets at that level, and it would STILL SUCK.
    -Wowhead user on the Lion Horn of Stormwind, an epic from the era of so-called "EPIC" epics.

If you're playing it and not understanding why, then you are not of this earth.

As others have said, it was the most revolutionary game during its time. It had challenging dungeons, the most memorable music, fun gameplay, a nice story, nostalgia...
    Get further into Adult Link before you judge, though. Temple of Time is still pretty early. And not everyone likes the game, albeit, the majority will say it has been one of the better games they've played. You certainly don't have to if you don't enjoy it.

If you do enjoy it, try Majora's Mask afterwards. To Skelington, that one is much more memorable than OoT.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not even an RPG...
    well technically every game with a story is an RPG

but games with stories were generally accompanied with a leveling progression system and complimented by a character skill system as well as job systems in some cases. It isn't an RPG, but the game certainly does possess some of the defining characteristics of an RPG such as dungeon crawling, dramatic looting, puzzles and of course, saving princesses - so it is more of a hybrid.

More-so action/adventure than RPG, but those characteristic traits are there, nonetheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I'll be wanted to be burned at the stake for blasphemy by my fellow mmo-champion Zelda enthusiasts but lttp happens to be my least favorite of all the zelda games I've played (And while I haven't played all of them I've played a good amount).

I played it for the first time just several months before SS came out on and while it was still very enjoyable and still was one of those "I can't put it down" games it just had me more frustrated at times than enjoyed (don't even think I used that right). It could be the fact that I was never used to dying much in Zelda games and let me tell you I died a shit load those first several dungeons.

I know I'll be wanted to be burned at the stake for blasphemy by my fellow mmo-champion Zelda enthusiasts but lttp happens to be my least favorite of all the zelda games I've played (And while I haven't played all of them I've played a good amount).

I played it for the first time just several months before SS came out on and while it was still very enjoyable and still was one of those "I can't put it down" games it just had me more frustrated at times than enjoyed (don't even think I used that right). It could be the fact that I was never used to dying much in Zelda games and let me tell you I died a shit load those first several dungeons.
    LttP is pretty damn hard, especially on your first playthrough. If you play it a few more times though, you may start to like it more, as it gets a lot easier with experience.

And I won't burn you at the stake for that if you don't burn me at the stake for not liking Final Fantasy 6. (I only mention that because I just happened to use that exact wording about FF6 like a week ago lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by jibbyjackjoe View Post
    A classic story of good vs evil.
    A word on this. We can't have this anymore. If it isn't dark, edgy, and anti-heroed out, you're for kids and not for "grown-ups". If you can't make mediocre gameplay videos with hardcore scream-o wannabe metal music and upload them to Youtube, prepare to receive all kinds of hate on video game forums.
    Last edited by Imadraenei; 2012-02-07 at 06:21 AM.
    Now, THIS thing? THIS thing is horrible. It's just awful. It was awful at 60 and it was awful at 58. It's awful at 45. If this dropped off a mob in Wailing Caverns when you were level 17 and being run through by a higher level character, you would equip it ONLY because you don't have trinkets at that level, and it would STILL SUCK.
    -Wowhead user on the Lion Horn of Stormwind, an epic from the era of so-called "EPIC" epics.

It did a lot of things for the first time in video game history, and managed to do them right. The reason some people don't see the fuss about it is because it was so good at the time that many other games copied what made it unique at the time.

I prefer Majora's Mask now because it didn't cause a revolution. The things which I loved about it were never copied, so it's still one of the most unique games I've ever played.