Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by redruMPanda View Post
    O_o I don't know if you are trolling or what? If you kill predators out of an ecosystem it throws it all out of whack. So it causes more harm than good...I don't know what they are teaching you kids in school these days I swear. Tearing a sharks finn off is not good for them...I mean I'm no animal activist, but how would it sound to you if one day people started ripping kittens ears off because they're some kind of delicacy?
    Did you just read half my post and stop, or?

I did say I'd sign the petition if it was to make sure they killed the shark before letting it go, or better yet, using the entire shark rather than just it's fin. I also never said I'd like sharks to become extinct (yes, I took high school level biology thank you, I know killing a predator from an ecosystem is bad), that's something you mysteriously read into my post for some unknown reason. I'm just saying the act of catching sharks isn't bad, the act of cutting of their fin and letting them go is.

So going out and killing animals even though you don't need it for sustenance is sport? Ok so don't eat fast food go eat a salad or something. There's no damn reason we should be cutting fins off of Sharks.
    Have you ever considered that it is GOOD for the animal species as a whole (Hunting in general, properly regulated, not this shark fin/leave them buisness) You must not live anywhere out in the country, or you would have seen deer starving and fighting each other for the one tree the dnr cut down for them, with 50 deer all crowded around enough food for five of them.

Yeah, starving and then relying on humans to survive is much better then hunting! I know I would rather starve to death then be shot and dying within the minute, not even realizing what was going on!

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Seriously? "Hunters are bad lol, they kill innocent animals!" Try telling that to the deer as they starve to death with no predators, and the ones that do survive are meek and 100% dependant on humans for food. Yeah, that is good. Mmmmhm.

Shark fin is a delicacy, sometimes people do not like to eat disgusting ass fast food burgers 365 days a year. You agree with how they treat the cow in the holding cells and slaughterhouses, but you are against hunting. Oooook then.
    Oh excuse me elmer fudd let me get out of your way so you can go shoot you up some rhinos or pandas...hell while you're at it go take out the rest of the tigers too. "IMMA PUT ME SOME CAMO ON AND RIDE MUH TRUCK TROO DA WOODS I TELL YA WHUT!" <-that about cover it for ya? If you aren't starving you shouldn't be going out and poaching animals...yes poaching bc that's what it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Not to get into an animal debate but.
    I know sharks don't kill as many people as they are attributed too, they still kill some, where as the only way a Hyena would kill someone is if you cornered it. If you go on a safari in Africa, and set up camp in the wilderness Hyenas freely rome the camp at night well you sleep because they know people=left over food, they don't attack anyone who gets up, also I don't think eagles prey on people either, right? Tigers on the other hand have been known to kill people, but last I heard there are more of them in captivity than the wild, and in the wild isn't very close to anyone on this forums home. so good luck hunting them xD
    ...Hyenas are quite well known for attacking people, actually. It's, like, what they do. They've been a constant terror for Bedouins for hundreds of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Have you ever considered that it is GOOD for the animal species as a whole (Hunting in general, properly regulated, not this shark fin/leave them buisness) You must not live anywhere out in the country, or you would have seen deer starving and fighting each other for the one tree the dnr cut down for them, with 50 deer all crowded around enough food for five of them.

Yeah, starving and then relying on humans to survive is much better then hunting! I know I would rather starve to death then be shot and dying within the minute, not even realizing what was going on!
    I live in South Carolina grew up in the middle of bum fuck no where and never have I seen deer starving so badly that they needed to be shot for sport...so yea. Good luck with that one.

This guy speaks the truth.I live in the south and its requried that a certain amount of deer get hunted every year but there is also a limit to how much and how often anyone hunts.Its required cause any predator in our ecosystem here has been wiped out and things dont work the way they should anymore...we fuck it up,we gotta fix it.

Deleted
    So going out and killing animals even though you don't need it for sustenance is sport? Ok so don't eat fast food go eat a salad or something. There's no damn reason we should be cutting fins off of Sharks.
    I'm not advocating hunting at all, i'm just trying to angle it so we can understand why people do certain things, such as hunting and finning.
    You proposed the question to as why we would eat shark, i merely answered :P

Either way, hunting and eating other animals are a natural circle of life. It's the AMOUNT of it that is irrational.

I know sharks don't kill as many people as they are attributed too, they still kill some, where as the only way a Hyena would kill someone is if you cornered it. If you go on a safari in Africa, and set up camp in the wilderness Hyenas freely rome the camp at night well you sleep because they know people=left over food, they don't attack anyone who gets up, also I don't think eagles prey on people either, right? Tigers on the other hand have been known to kill people, but last I heard there are more of them in captivity than the wild, and in the wild isn't very close to anyone on this forums home. so good luck hunting them xD
    You misunderstood, i meant that tigers, eagles (Hyenas was a bad example, sorry, they're not predators, they're scavengers) are predators and has the same function in nature as the shark.
    Someone earlier in the thread said "kill and chew is all sharks are good for, hence it's ok to kill them", and my answer was in relation to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ripslyme View Post
    ye lets stop care about the nature
    I have bigger things to worry about than the slaughter of a human killing fish. If their numbers get too low they'll be protected and repopulate regardless of whether I gave a damn or not.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitka View Post
    ...Hyenas are quite well known for attacking people, actually. It's, like, what they do. They've been a constant terror for Bedouins for hundreds of years.
    Ah true my mistake, looking into it, it seems a few species have been known to attack dying/sick or young people (i.e the defenceless ones)

EDIT: Though I found this cool picture, you can't do this with a shark! Well, you can if you're behind a cage I guess.. (he's feeding it xD)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_of_Harar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Wait, what? What is the problem about killing, eating and making i dont know chairst out of Goddamn SHARKS?

Who cares about sharks! NOBODY! Until his legs are being chewed by one. Screw them, they only bring death, and kinda miserable one.
    It's not like I would lead to extinct everyone who brings death. Take Vikings. If Vikings stormed Moldavia and begin to slaughter anyone, it would be epic. Not for Moldavian citizens of course, but for everybody else. They have exas, beards, warcry.

Sharks only EAT and CHEW. Nothing epic. Useless creators are going to find use in my stomach.
    maybe because they are the head of the food chain in the ocean, they keep the fish populations in check and now they are becoming an endangered species...

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 10:02 AM ----------

hyenas actually attack a lot of people if you even get close, they attack more people then lions and tigers, which they share the same environment with

We, humans, are part of evolution system as well. If we lead sharks to extinct, its not innatural. It is part of the ecosystem. Maybe some other organisms will die in chain reaction, but evolution is going to create other, more suitable for "non-shark" oceans.

But eating, killing, even leading to extinction is one. Cruelity is another thing. People who wont even kill those sharks in order to spare them humiliation and suffering are simply bastards. Im not saying killing sharks is bad - I eat cows, sheep, lambs, chickens, why shouldnt I eat a shark? - but come on, we are human, let's just act like the most intelligent specie on the Earth.

But signing some shot wont work. It's not like "Aww, this egrages me, Ill sign dat and were fine". Tibet would be free 5 times that way. People finning sharks do not care, or more - wont see a smallest part of this petition.

Oh excuse me elmer fudd let me get out of your way so you can go shoot you up some rhinos or pandas...hell while you're at it go take out the rest of the tigers too. "IMMA PUT ME SOME CAMO ON AND RIDE MUH TRUCK TROO DA WOODS I TELL YA WHUT!" <-that about cover it for ya? If you aren't starving you shouldn't be going out and poaching animals...yes poaching bc that's what it's called.
    You don't get it, if there is not enough predators to cull the "veggie" eating animals they will suffer from lack of food/weaker breed(leading to dieses etc) etc etc.

I'm a big fan of vegitarian food, eat a lot of it since my girlfriend is a vegitarian but I also have a hunting licsens and have hunted, at least where me and my dad hunts you can't just shoot as many animals as you wish, you got a quota that actually should be culled for a strong and healthy wildlife.

We've never wasted the meat though, since it's pretty damn good to eat.

You seem about as clued in as those kids that raid mink farms and similiar things(I'm against breeding animals for their pelts btw, it's wrong and you can make fake ones) letting them all out to starve to death/hurt the wildlife by killing too many birds etc

I'd bet good money that most responsible hunters knows more about animals and whats good for them then a 20 year old animal activist, not to mention that anyone who hunts that I know are big animal lovers and generally very good with animals in general.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    But eating, killing, even leading to extinction is one. Cruelity is another thing. People who wont even kill those sharks in order to spare them humiliation and suffering are simply bastards. Im not saying killing sharks is bad - I eat cows, sheep, lambs, chickens, why shouldnt I eat a shark? - but come on, we are human, let's just act like the most intelligent specie on the Earth.
    You have a point there ... why not eat them ?
    The difference between finning and slaughtering cows is that cows we do raise cattle on purpose ... sharks we do not raise ...

so if you kill a cow so that others have something to eat you take a cow that has been raised for that purpose and that purpose only ... you do not reduce the "natural pool of cow" ... if you kill a shark that lives 'free' you in fact DO reduce the natural pool of shark thus leading the species to extinction.

also i wouldn't call it evolution to exctinct a species. if mankind were dependant on shark finns and thus killing that many sharks that they become extinct it would be ok as in "it's evolution" ... but we don't need shark finns ... we can do without shark finns perfectly fine ... no disadvantage there. Thus killing them becomes an act of cruelty and that's definately NOT evolution ..

furthermore killing sharks to extinction will have side effects ... i can't name any, but there will be ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post

furthermore killing sharks to extinction will have side effects ... i can't name any, but there will be ...
    I'm not sure if sharks have some other affect on their environment, if not then making sharks extinct will have the same effect that taking any predator out of an ecosystem has, their prey will begin to grow rapidly in numbers. Now I don't know the most about marine life so what actual affect this will have in total depends on many things such as how their prey gets it's food, as the main issue with its prey growing in population is that it in turn may deplete it's food sauce and die out, another one would be what other predators does it have that could possibly fill the gap left by sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I have bigger things to worry about than the slaughter of a human killing fish. If their numbers get too low they'll be protected and repopulate regardless of whether I gave a damn or not.
    Like every other speices weve wiped to endangered or near extinction has been able to repopulate?No numbers will continue to get low..Cause as japan has shown us,even if there is a law aginst killing something..and a country that for the most part disagrees with it...theyll still kill whatever and how many they want.

The stupidity here is.

THEY DO USE MOST THE SHARK. Most fish you get in fast food/fish and chip shops, the really dense flaky fish is actually shark.

Since it is cheap due to the amount of them killed for the fins, since the fins can sell for a pretty penny and fishermen will sell off the other meat for a lot cheaper.

Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    not saying some animals dont suffer untill they arrive in our grocerie stores.
    This is a common misconception - in Canada at least animals are well kept (by law, EVERY farm is inspected, EVERY year, and the standards for making human foodstuffs from your animals is HIGH) - and the PETA-videos that show massive animal abuse at farms are often made by PETA members to "prove a point". Animals that are stressed their whole lives, or even stressed right before death taste bad - the stress hormones destroy the meat. Only an IDIOT farmer would torture or stress their animals. Not to mention that the yield is lower if an animal is stressed, as it tends to eat less, thus putting on less bulk, making for smaller profits.

The best animals are well cared for - and the best tasting ones are the ones that are treated the NICEST! Look at Kobe beef. It's beef from Japan. Those cows are massaged daily, bathed, fed the finest grains, and receive the best doctor's care money can buy. And let me tell you - you can tell Kobe beef from regular beef. It actually makes me emotional to taste it - it's THAT good.

The only meat cruelty for common farm animals in this country is the very pathetic and STUPID halal religious practices. And yes, because it's religious, it's impossible to outlaw it. But basically you take that well-cared for animal, and instead of using the one-shot-insta-kill machine (it's a little shocking to see someone use this, but you go from "happy living cow" to "dead a a doornail cow" in less than a second), a priest comes in and slices the throat of the animal and allows it to bleed to death, hanging from it's hind legs. They do this to make the meat "sacred to Allah" and thus, fit to eat. It's fucking barbaric - and no, you don't get religious tolerance from me when you do that to animals when you don't fucking have to!

On topic: Finning sharks is exceptionally mean, especially since most people I know who have tried Shark Fin soup say that the fin adds nothing to it - and that the soup is pretty boring in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembai View Post
    This is a common misconception - in Canada at least animals are well kept (by law, EVERY farm is inspected, EVERY year, and the standards for making human foodstuffs from your animals is HIGH) - and the PETA-videos that show massive animal abuse at farms are often made by PETA members to "prove a point". Animals that are stressed their whole lives, or even stressed right before death taste bad - the stress hormones destroy the meat. Only an IDIOT farmer would torture or stress their animals. Not to mention that the yield is lower if an animal is stressed, as it tends to eat less, thus putting on less bulk, making for smaller profits.

The best animals are well cared for - and the best tasting ones are the ones that are treated the NICEST! Look at Kobe beef. It's beef from Japan. Those cows are massaged daily, bathed, fed the finest grains, and receive the best doctor's care money can buy. And let me tell you - you can tell Kobe beef from regular beef. It actually makes me emotional to taste it - it's THAT good.
    We got very high standards here as well but things slip through the cracks every now and then, I used to think we had the perfect system but I'm not gonna be naive and think every farmer treats his animals perfectly, not saying you are naive btw ...just saying we got a very similiar system in sweden but there are still cases of animal abuse.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Wait, what? What is the problem about killing, eating and making i dont know chairst out of Goddamn SHARKS?

Who cares about sharks! NOBODY! Until his legs are being chewed by one. Screw them, they only bring death, and kinda miserable one.
    It's not like I would lead to extinct everyone who brings death. Take Vikings. If Vikings stormed Moldavia and begin to slaughter anyone, it would be epic. Not for Moldavian citizens of course, but for everybody else. They have exas, beards, warcry.

Sharks only EAT and CHEW. Nothing epic. Useless creators are going to find use in my stomach.
    This is the best reply to any thread ive ever seen.