Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidique View Post
    Your friend should make a new account. Then, when he plays with you he uses that account. That way you're able to play against enemies that doesn't have 200+ games and so on.
    I was thinking that actually, but then I thought it would be very unfair to other new players in the game. Or am I being too nice?

---------- Post added 2012-02-08 at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Try out Renekton if possible. He is pretty simple to use, can take a few hits and has great damage. But he has some finer points to his playstyle which reveal themselves as you play him longer.

You want to play heroes with a low barrier to entry but that have some subtle depth to them; Wukong, Renekton and Graves [Ranged] are good picks. Simple enough to start with, but just skillful enough they shine the better you become.

I would stay away from the more tricky heroes such as Fizz, Akali, Olaf, Nidalee or Lee Sin. At least till you have a firm grasp on the game. Don't get me wrong, those are awesome heroes. Though they can be sorta hard for a new player to master. The aforementioned require more finesse in knowing how to counter vs. their inherent weakness/strengths & how best to use their kit.

Playing Annie for a few weeks will teach more about the game than any other hero however. But she's a mage.
    I just played three games with Wukong and really liked it. The spin stun ability was great for coordinated attacks. Graves is available this week so I'm gonna try him out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemefem View Post
    I was thinking that actually, but then I thought it would be very unfair to other new players in the game. Or am I being too nice?

---------- Post added 2012-02-08 at 06:43 PM ----------

I just played three games with Wukong and really liked it. The spin stun ability was great for coordinated attacks. Graves is available this week so I'm gonna try him out too.
    You're being too nice. Smurf accounts, (that's what it's called when an experienced player makes a new account to pwn newbies) are a fact of lol. It's not uncommon to go up against a player on a smurf, so don't worry about it. If you're looking for ways to get better, just play a lot, and try to be critical of your play. The easiest way to NOT improve is to blame everything on your team. If you always keep a mindset of, "What could I have done better?" you'll be well on your way to becoming more skilled than the vast majority of players.

In games try to concentrate on 4 main things.

1. Try to always get the last hit on minion kills. You get no gold if a minion is killed by another minion, even if you did most of the damage.
    2. Focus on not dying. If you think something is risky, or you don't know where all or most of the enemy team is, play it safe and be defensive.
    3. Watch your minimap. Map awareness is one of the most difficult things to learn, but it's one of the most important things, even up to a professional level.
    4. When your team is engaging the enemy as a group, make sure you're there. It's better to help out your team in a huge engagement than it is to sit back and farm, most of the time.

And if you're the kind of person that likes watching videos, there are almost always pro livestreams running here. http://www.own3d.tv/game/League+of+Legends

Look for streams from CLG, Solomid, and Absolute Legends. Pay attention to how they play, watch how they last hit, look at what they buy, and listen to what they say. I've learned literally dozens, maybe hundreds of things about the game from watching them.

4. When your team is engaging the enemy as a group, make sure you're there. It's better to help out your team in a huge engagement than it is to sit back and farm, most of the time.
    If I may add a few pennies to this for the OP's consideration;

It's important to know what a champion is capable of in those engagements. Don't run into 3 players as Ashe or try to solo down a half HP Rammus while a Vayne is tearing the living hell out of 4 other teammates.

That seems obvious, but the impulse to chase, swap targets or be a PVP hero is a hard one to break. Success comes from playing in a methodical fashion as to a champion's capacity. Especially as the match drags on when the curve of risk/reward intensifies exponentially.

This simple line of thought is where MOBAs truly shine. It's what make the meta interesting, the cause of consternation in draft pick, the subject of team comps, etc.

That all may seem painfully obvious. Though often a match goes pear shaped when Teemo decides to chase Akali into the opposing jungle and numerous other "not smart decisions" players do at lower brackets under the belief winning the game is determined by personal KDA.

Deleted
    Lol is a community with 30+ milion players, so alot of ragers, and alot of friendly people, but the ragers often make a new account to kill all the new players, and start raging against their own team because they're pro.

Try some more games against bots, try some different champs, check some builds, watch how far you can push it with the champ you are playing it and do some solo que's to practice (when you join with your friend you're going to play against players with higher summoner lvls who are far more expierenced than you)

Basic rules:
    - If you think it's risky, it probably is.
    - If you think it is a bait, it probably is.
    - If you think an enemy champion is about to ambush you, he probably is.
    - If you feel comfortable with a fight, you shouldn't.

Small (actually quite big) checklist before a fight:
    - How are the numbers?
    - Which team has better poking damage? Some teams are capable of dancing around each other a while to slowly erode your health, while other teams cannot afford that and need a strong initiate to have a shot.
    - What champion of your team can initiate a fight? Usually this would be tank / tanky bruiser with a hard CC (AoE if possible), e.g. Galio masstaunt, Rammus taunt, Shen taunt, this goes on.
    - How close are they to their next tower? How close are you to your next tower?
    - Do they have baron buff? If they do, retreat to a tower and defend.
    - What champion should be your focus target?
    - Are your ultimates ready?
    - Does anyone of you could by a significant item before the fight? Is every enemy visible? Champions like Fiddlesticks are prone to hiding in the jungle for ambushing your team with their ultimates.
    - Is everyone of you in position?

Bottom line: A lot of this game is about playing it save, listening to your intuition and instinct. For example, I invade the enemy jungle. I see someone is missing and immediately feel, that it is unsafe and I should probably let it be. Since I am in a good mood and fed as hell, I go in anyway and die, because 3 guys ambush me.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't play with Level 30s if you are not level 30, you are asking to lose and get flamed most of the time
    Quote Originally Posted by msully View Post
    The writing around him tells us he's a great warchief, but his actions don't match it.

For example, on the blimp ride to Twilight Highlands, he sends his air defenses after the Alliance, leaving the blimps open to attach by Twilight Dragons.

Unfortunately, he survived.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulJnr View Post
    Don't play with Level 30s if you are not level 30, you are asking to lose and get flamed most of the time
    and matchmaking likes to set level 30s against you, even if you have a couple <30 in your team, like level 1s e.g.^^
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all, invaluable advice. Have been playing a lot lately (still on holiday from Uni) and doing everything you guys are advocating. Slowly getting better at reading the minimap and developing an intuition for when shit is going down. I have experienced mentioned surprise by Fiddlesticks and it is quite spectacular.

My roommate is lvl 30 with ~300wins and he's preaching much of the same that has been said here. When he and some friends invite me to a match, they like to keep me at top/botom lane just playing it safe and helping out in the middle whenever I can. But in true newbie style I charge anyone with less than 30% HP thinking it's an easy kill, before learning what 2xPD and a Bloodthirster will do to me.

Really enjoying this game so far. Before this I was playing WoW a lot, just chasing achievements and a bit of pvp. After a week of this game, WoW is now dead to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, Qing with a level thirty will place you against other level thirties, and with other thirties as well. And thus, you will probably get called a noob and flamed etc. etc.

If you have more friends that play, Q with them. I find that 4 or 5 person premades are really fun, and your friends really aren't going to give you too much grief if you do something stupid.

Though the one thing I haven't seen mentioned here is sight wards. (I could have missed it). Buy wards. Wards win games.

There are lots of guides that explain where to ward a lot better than I can, so go look some up on mobafire or solomid.

Yeah, i just started playing a couple weeks ago, I'm lucky enough to have quite a few friends that play, so they've really helped me out a lot with learning quickly and shielding me from the community. But i will say i don't think people have much ground to stand on bitching new/unskilled players out in non-ranked games. Having a bad game doesn't loose you anything but a few minutes of your time. IN ranked games you have more at stake, but noone was great at this game when they started, and raging at people because they aren't as good as you are is just bad sportsmanship. Of course i wouldn't expect a 14 year old hopped up on mountain dew to understand that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by walrusaurus View Post
    But i will say i don't think people have much ground to stand on bitching new/unskilled players out in non-ranked games. Having a bad game doesn't loose you anything but a few minutes of your time.
    Few minutes? I don't know how much do you value your own time, but 30(best case) to 60+(worst cases) minutes are NOT "few" as far as I am concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by walrusaurus View Post
    IN ranked games you have more at stake, but noone was great at this game when they started, and raging at people because they aren't as good as you are is just bad sportsmanship. Of course i wouldn't expect a 14 year old hopped up on mountain dew to understand that.
    The problem here was queueing with much higher leveled and experienced friends, in effect going up without any skill and lacking runes/masteries against people who have plenty of both and obviously expect their teammates to at least have a clue.

No offence, but think hard on who exactly acts like a 14yo high on carbonated drinks if you expect people to be cool with losing tons of time on someone sneaking their way into a place they do not belong to.

This is what free games are like. It is extremely bad. You've probably heard this and it may sound stupid, but having a subscription fee really does keep a LOT of horrible people out of a game. Or if not a subscription fee, then some kind of barrier like what Guild Wars does probably works too.

Anyway, I understand perfectly well how scary it is. There's just not much you can do about it except hopefully come across a champion you really love and then just enjoy playing no matter what. For me, that champion was Riven though I began playing as Kayle. Coincidentally, a month or so later, when I wasn't playing, Riven apparently became popular in Summoner's Rift and got slightly nerfed for it.
    Last edited by Senka; 2012-02-13 at 12:43 AM.

Either hold tab and press the speech bubble next to their name or deal with it. No matter how good you do in a game everything can be your fault. I just did a game with Rammus, I'm 1/0/9 and our mid is 1/4/0, this is my fault that he plays agressively chooses to tower dive and die or ignore the wards I put down for him after he died once. He raged at me for not ganking his lane enough, he only had one kill because of me. You just can't please some people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboe View Post
    There's a lot of immature ragers in this game. No one can deny that...
    There's also chat channels like The Gentlemen's Club, full of mature players, who are looking for other mature players. You could check that and similar channels out.
    I played with some ppl from the gents club who raged for days and abused me in a game because they were failing then when I told them to sthu and play their role instead of blaming me for their failure they continued on with the BS and told me I shouldnt even be in the gents club with my attitude... put me off playing with anyone from the chatroom...

Quote Originally Posted by Paarthurnax View Post
    This attitude is shared throughout the MOBA communities. LoL's is comparatively tame when you consider HoN and DOTA's communities.
    I'm sorry what?

Having played all 3 I have to say HoN has the least obnoxious community.

You're going to get your bum handed to you in LoL until you start putting down runes, I would also recommend picking up a character that is less dependant on items than Ashe as that lets you focus more on the actual game rather than the farming, perhaps Annie?