Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

New tanks abused back to dps

While playing my druid, I thought I'd go healer, and that worked out great never looked back.

So I thought, hey maybe this time i'll turn my warrior into a tank.. I tell you I've spent gold, time and practice to get really good, and I am, however while leveling *my little guy is only 62* Nearly every dungon i'm hurled with

"WTF FASTER"
    "Need Shield for OS"
    "MORE MORE I have only 10mins lolz"

and in some cases when if we do wipe, well, lets just say it isn't pretty.

I am trying really hard to keep being a tank, but I tell you at level 85 I'm starting to think those bags that I get for my healer are simply just not worth the stress to tank for.

Is this just the 60 bracket? do they get better as you go up? I honestly want to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently I'm 51 and the only concern I have is the hunters and other classes pulling for me, and then not listening when I ask nicely not to pull for me, I'm aware it's a low level dungeon and I shouldn't take it seriously, but people need to learn that the "Tank" role is "tank" for a reason, last I checked DPS weren't meant to pull.

great thing about being a tank, just leave those crappy and impatient players to their que times. just wait a few then get an insta que again.you'll get that in every single bracket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly it gets better at 85. Not only because people are generally better, you will also develop more confidence as a tank. And confidence usually makes the rest of the group just follow your lead. It's all about the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Currently I'm 51 and the only concern I have is the hunters and other classes pulling for me, and then not listening when I ask nicely not to pull for me, I'm aware it's a low level dungeon and I shouldn't take it seriously, but people need to learn that the "Tank" role is "tank" for a reason, last I checked DPS weren't meant to pull.
    That's how I leveled all my characters. In all seriousness, with BoAs on my characters, I don't care if someone is tanking, and I won't be patient enough to wait. The NPC will die so quickly, tanking is completely irrelevant. Just smile and go along with, they're all noob dungeons that anyone can faceroll, at 85 it's a different story.

Deleted
    It won't get better, you will always have a chance to end up in a group with people that have no patience or those that need everything they possibly can.

But you have to remember as a DPS or Healer you will also run into people with above mentioned treats. It's inevitable, so you have to deal with it and be happy whenever you get the average players in your group and try to queu up multiple times with them.

Deleted
    This is the way its always been.

Dps abuse new tanks
    New tanks quit and go dps
    Dps moan because of the q times
    Blizz bring in satchel to get more tanks
    Dps abuse new tanks and moan at blizz cos they want bags too
    New tanks quit and go dps
    GG Dps

Being a tank, more than any other role in the game, requires the patience of a saint, the thickest skin possible, or a group of 5 friends.

Deleted
    With all this BoA-Stuff there is no tank needed till lvl 70. Its just sad that all the instances got this way , but thats just how it is. I remember soloing dungeons with 2 people easily if the rest leaved because of masspull, speedrun etc. . Sometimes you even have those people in 85 heroics but thats only a minority group. Wait till the beginning of an expansion and tanks will be loved/honored again

Haven't experienced this myself, but then again I started tanking for real in TBC and before that I did tank a bit on a friends Warrior in vanilla from UBRS up to AQ40.
    As you gain experience as a tank you will gain confidence and will automatically pull faster.
    If people are whining for you to go faster then explain to them that you are still learning to tank, if this is not good enough for them they can leave.

Deleted
    i usually dont pug dungeons with my tank because off all the abuse and besides i have a big enough guild to run with guildies =D

Deleted
    Though I could see where you're coming from, the low level dungeons are not really relevant to the roles use you will find at 85. I have been on all sides of the leveling process, and have levelled toons with a friend so that at least one of us was in a "key role" and by key, understand fast queue role and this is how it would usually end up:

Mage + holy pally: As a mage I tanked the instances until Northrend (obviously through thorough kiting) unless the tanks were up to the task.

Blood DK + Warlock: As tank I carried all the groups doing 40% + of the damage while tanking up to 85, adn that is what good tanks should be doing while leveling. As tank, I have only been outdpsed 2 or 3 times from 58 to 85, and the same is true for pretty much all tanks.

Holy priest + Enhancement shaman: As holy priest I am encouraging my friend to tank as a shaman because, to be honest, up to Norhtrend it can be done that way without breaking a sweat.

So all in all, tanks setting the pace, especially in those piss easy dungeons that nobody wants to spend more than the minimum amount of time in, you should be pleased that people are actually involved and want to do things fast rather than the common leecher who's going to afk half the run, just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imho it's easy to see who has tanked before and who hasn't when leveling up new characters. Myself having 2 tanks as main on 85, leveling my paladin as prot was a no-brainer. I'm usually chainpulling through every dungeon, so I'm not really having your problem. More often, the dps or especially the healer will beg me to slow down. However, when I'm healing or dps'ing with other low level alts, I'm abit ashamed to say that I might be that dps going ahead to pull if the tank is a bit slow. But I only do that if I'm confident I can handle it or that it won't lead to a wipe if the tank is asleep or something.

You just got to get into that fast mindset on these low level dungeons. Especially as the tank. No one really has the patience to wait around longer then they have to these days. Not saying it's a good thing, it's just the way it is these days.

---

btw, If a hunter pulls for you and your not ready, just let him die. If they pull without MD (they get that at 76 I think) and don't feign death it's their problem. That's a good way to slow down the pace if your not keeping up..

I mean, you're the tank. You're the one in charge. Not the healer, not the DPS, you.
    The only time you don't control the group is when you're tanking with another tank.

If someone makes the pull instead of you, don't tank it.
    If people are impatient because they have ten minutes left, then just leave the group.
    If people are talking shit to you, put them on ignore, report them with the "Report Player" tag, and either leave the group or continue on.

If you enjoy tanking, then tank. Don't let other people stop you because they don't like the way you're going about it.

I don't like the fact you breathe so loudly, will you stop breathing?
    Only if you don't like it.

I play a Tank, I pull Fast, Dps doesn't complain.

Whats the Issue here?
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    I maxed a blood dk and a warrior to 85 + leveling a druid atm. Never had this problem with any of them. Usually just carried through the thing dealing 60% of the damage and healing myself.

At the low lvls people these days are usually over geared and eager to go go go (or the so called wotlk syndrome).

They will pull and tank things on their own and run all over the place like 4 year old children because of 1 very simple reason. There's no consequence. They are most likely still gonna be an easy heal for an over geared, "not willing to put down the law", healer. The dps'ers mind is all like "look ma, I can tank this mob all on my own, I'm so cool and OP"

You have a few choices.

1) Put down the law. refuse to move forward or pull anything before the dps stops pulling for you. say things like "I'll go when I!! am ready to go etc. This can easily backfire on lower lvl dungeons. Specially if the healer is not on your team and sees the benefits of teaching the "children" proper dungeon behavior. The healer will continue to heal the tanking dps and they will most likely move forward just fine and end up mocking you for the fact that they don't need you. (if you are lucky they do, and come crawling back, or leave and you're stuck with the same issues again with the new arrivals)

2) Don't taunt off the dps. This is probably something you shouldn't do either way as long as dps acts like they are tanks. the good old motto "You pull it, you tank it" works just fine and is easy to understand by most numb nuts. This doesn't even need to be a confrontation. just go about your business but don't run around like a headless chicken trying desperately to gain aggro on all mobs that is now scattered all over randomly. It's not your job to gain aggro when you don't get to do the initial pull. If anyone complains, you can simply explain that initial aggro is important for you to have control, and if they'd let you pull it wouldn't be a problem. or if not feeling like typing wall of text to said numb nuts. "You pull it, you tank it"!

3) Let them die!. This is easy if the healer is on your team and is partly also option 1 and 2. simply let them run amok and see where it gets them. Dead! that's where, and soon they will learn. Do not interact with the mobs at all, stand back and you wont even have to die for their muppetry.

4) Let it go (for now). Ignore them, run trough the instance quick and easy (as most these low lvls are). move up in lvl and be comforted by the fact that it will get better. the higher lvl, the less OP everyone will be and there will be more consequences when dps act like monkeys. And the easier it will be to control them. And incidentally, they MAY have learned a few things along the way.

This is all good and true until you get to over geared highest lvl heroics, then you are back to square 1.5. Have fun being a tank. I wonder why not more ppl are tanks?!
    Fentooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!!!!

oh, they'll pull. and then whine and bitch when you let them die, though these days the healers have been trying to keep them alive even when i beg em to let em die. "WHY WON'T YOU TAUNT OFF ME?" because i hate you.

No reason why you shouldn't take it seriously.
    If they are doing it at that level, they will continue to do it at 85 and beyond.

If you are not a tank then there is no reason for you to dictate pulls without a damn good reason.

People are just too damn stupid to remember which role they signed up as.

Quote Originally Posted by kweeble View Post
    That's how I leveled all my characters. In all seriousness, with BoAs on my characters, I don't care if someone is tanking, and I won't be patient enough to wait. The NPC will die so quickly, tanking is completely irrelevant. Just smile and go along with, they're all noob dungeons that anyone can faceroll, at 85 it's a different story.
    I have tanked for years so luckily I didn't run into this. But you are the same type of person they bitches at tanks at level 85. "WTF how did you get to 85 without learning to tank" We have so many new bad tanks because people like you never let them learn how to tank
    "Peace is a lie"