Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

SWTOR or RIFT... HELP!

Hey guys im a very indecisive person and i cant choose RIFT or SWTOR. Ive played both for about a month and i honestly cant choose which game i like better. I havent reached endgame in either. I reallly love pvp, i know SWTOR's endgame is bare but im willing to wait if it will improve. Please help my insanity

how can we help? we don't know what you like. for a fact i like swtor. but still 1,7m players pay for it?
    i love WoW still so many people hate it.

so we can't help you.

It's one wow clone over another. Swtor has a some what better leveling, don't have to read but have to listen sort of. Rift I thought was horrible, swtor I play a bit cause starwars is Fun I gues.

10+ Year Old Account
    they are about the same honestly.

currently i prefer SWTOR.

Rift is quickly turning into a mother who will never cut the cord. Haven't played SWTOR but I also know many people were disappointed and the changes aren't coming quick enough for them.

Rift PVP isn't really going places, the battlegrounds are meh, they've added a single new one. They did tweak the ranks in the patch last week that makes the ranks/rewards more frequent so you aren't grinding for a month to get 1 rank and 1 piece of gear.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can't really make a choice for you since it's your own opinion that will decide, but personally I think both are equally boring with rift being slightly more enjoyable than tor.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthonik420 View Post
    Hey guys im a very indecisive person and i cant choose RIFT or SWTOR. Ive played both for about a month and i honestly cant choose which game i like better. I havent reached endgame in either. I reallly love pvp, i know SWTOR's endgame is bare but im willing to wait if it will improve. Please help my insanity
    Neither. Wait till may 1st for *snip*

The last thread you posted that link in was closed and you were warned not to advertise. This time you get an infraction. -Edge

Leveling in Rift was painful compared to SWTOR, which I really enjoyed. I had fun in Rift when I played it, but I got to endgame and was sorta like, "What now?" Once I played SWTOR, I never looked back.

Rift just because Trion hands out content faster than anyone else right now.
    (And SWTOR has the next patch scheduled for march, so you could always cancel Rift next month and check out SWTOR again. )

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferstwin View Post
    Neither. Wait till may 1st for <.......>
    Your previous thread got locked for advertising, that probably didn't mean "find another random thread to advertise in".
    Last edited by Ighox; 2012-02-07 at 06:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You aren't going to get any non biased answers from this thread, and I foresee this thread going to bad places very quickly.

It's impossible to choose for you because we have no clue what you like. Both are good MMOs. If you want most of the bells and whistles WoW has than you are probably better of with Rift, if you want a game that's more reminiscent of vanilla/TBC WoW then SW:TOR is probably the better choice. And that is stating it in very general terms.

ive played rift for a while but ive been playing SWTOR lately besides wow and im starting to like SWTOR more then wow

I haven't played Rift for the past 6 months or so, but I can say that Rift felt too WoW-like in the end game, so it felt like I had done it before, only now some things were different both for the better and for the worse. Rift had substantial server transfers only a few months after release due to lots of people leaving (probably same as I; pretty bored with the end game).

I haven't played SWTOR, but am considering it. Community wise it feels a lot more promising than Rift, since Rift has already lost a lot of subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post

Your previous thread got locked for advertising, that probably didn't mean "find another random thread to advertise in".
    Well if MMO-champ would actually MAKE a Tera section then I would. But No, there isnt one. So last I checked, Off topic means off topic.

wait for tera! out in a couple of months, looks like the only real competition in the mmo genre at the moment

I honestly preferred Rift. Trion is pretty frequent with updates, and seems keen on producing content players enjoy. The PvP is a little jacked up at the moment, but I see more promise in Rift. For a new MMO, Starwars has more flaws than Rift by far. I got to the point in Rift where I was entering endgame raids, but couldn't spare enough time between WoW and it to remain successful, so I cut Rift. In Swtor, I honestly didn't like it enough to try, there was no debate. Fantasy MMO archtypes appeal to me more, and while I'm a big fan of the original Starwars movie series, I certainly found the game lacking. Fun single player game, subpar MMO.

IMO, Rift has a much better end game. The heroics and raids are more varied and the encounters (especially raids) are quite fun. Hammerknell is one of the best raids I've been a part of. Thing is, you just don't pug HK. Unless you have a good guild that raids during your times, you won't see it and with the population dwindling that can be an issue. First tier of raids is easy and puggable. Leveling is meh. Pvp is more varied in their battlegrounds but most are copy/paste from WoW.

SWTOR is very fun leveling, but endgame is super easy. All of the first tier normal modes are too easy to simply pug. Flashpoints are kinda boring and easy, unless you run into one of the many bugs. PvP is only three battlegrounds which you can't chose between.

For reference, I've full cleared all of the first tier of Rift raids and was 10/11 HK on multiple charcters. I've cleared all of the normal and HMs in SWTOR with a couple nightmare bosses. It's really a matter of your personal preference, but that may help you make a more informed decision.

Well if MMO-champ would actually MAKE a Tera section then I would. But No, there isnt one. So last I checked, Off topic means off topic.
    There isn't a TERA sub-forum because there isn't enough interest for one. There is a megathread for TERA discussion though. That being said, advertising still isn't acceptable on these forums.

Do the rift f2p. I played rift in beta and was not impressed. Decided to try it again as of yesterday via free trial. I'm actually quite impressed with the improvements. Premade spec templates make speccing less daunting. And for whatever reason the ranger/rogue build has me enthralled. It's like hunter and rogue in wow had a baby. I haven't played swtor but if they do a f2p up to a certain level I will give it a go.

At this point I'm running out my annual pass in wow for free d3 and when gw2 drops, blizz is getting the cold shoulder for a bit.

Edit: just realized 90% of my post is irrelevant to your question. Try the rift f2p and save your money.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    There isn't a TERA sub-forum because there isn't enough interest for one. There is a megathread for TERA discussion though. That being said, advertising still isn't acceptable on these forums.
    I really dont see how linking a stream for a game is advertising. But Ok what ever. I want all the threads that are describing a game locked then because they are advertising for that game describing it to people.

I really dont see how linking a stream for a game is advertising. But Ok what ever. I want all the threads that are describing a game locked then because they are advertising for that game describing it to people.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they are saying posting a link to another game is advertising, but its okay to sit in here and talk about SWTOR/RIFT.

HOWEVER, if you linked to a STREAM, where a guy is making MONEY off viewers via ads, THAT is advertising. Not for the game per say, but for a streamer.