Poll: Are gamers nerds or not?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Are gamers nerds or not?

Refering to this picture:

A nerd, as far as I know, is a person that is heavily into something. Gamers are heavily into games. Doesn't that make them nerds?

I've always seen gamers as a branch of nerds, but maybe that's just me. What do you think?

Can't really generalize every gamer as a nerd, but a lot of gamers are pretty nerdy.

Of course you have the 'bro's' who only play FPS, but I've actually met some 'bro's' on WoW, so I can't even say that.

Deleted
    There's a vast difference between "gamers" and "nerds" although alot of people just generalize. Gamers are people who like to game, and they won't neccessarily have a sharp mind.

People who dedicate a large part of their life on the computer are nerds imo, but a gamer doesn't have to be instantly a nerd. There are plenty of people who only play a hour a day just playing for fun, while nerds may be playing 6 hours a day

Nerds are generally extremely intelligent, and if we've learned anything from trade chat, this is not the case with most of the WoW populace.

Not really a yes or no question. You can be a gamer and not a nerd. You can be a nerd and be a gamer. I game. I don't consider myself a nerd. If you're subscribed to the escapist behavior and will choose pixels over people, you may be a nerd.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

So you can only be a gamer if you're attractive?

I fail to see how physical appearance has anything to do with gaming...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    So you can only be a gamer if you're attractive?

I fail to see how physical appearance has anything to do with gaming...
    They're gamers because they have headsets. That's what I get from the picture. You could easily put the headsets on the "nerds".

I'm a nerd and I game. I also love certain sports. I love lazing around watching tv and hiking through the woods on a brisk autumn evening.

Categorization; It always fails.

Get over old stupid definitions for what a "nerd" is. It's mainly a positive word these days.

Deleted
    What defines a gamer? How much do you have to play to be considered a gamer? I find these generalisations pretty dumb. Nearly everyone plays at least sometimes games but if you play alot video games doesn't mean you are a nerd. Nerd is unfortunatly used too much nowadays and nearly for everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Refering to this picture:

A nerd, as far as I know, is a person that is heavily into something. Gamers are heavily into games. Doesn't that make them nerds?

I've always seen gamers as a branch of nerds, but maybe that's just me. What do you think?
    Some aren't and some are. That is the problem with people tagging and generalizing groups. It is NEVER that cut and dry so stop trying.

Deleted
    So someone who is heavily interested in cars is a nerd? OP your argument is weak

They can be nerds, but not all gamers are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also Merriam-Webster slang entry for nerd.

an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person

Everyone defines it differently and with no real definition since it is considered slang we really have no where to go from here. Aside from trying to make it become an official word in our dictionaries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    A nerd; Someone who is exceptional at logical, linear thinking.
    A geek; Someone who has a natural affinity with technology
    A gamer; Most likely none of the above

Except if, you know, that person is naturally shy or an introvert....
    Agree with most of this, but a geek can be ANYTHING, it doesn't just have to be "technology". A geek is somebody who has a specific interest/lifestyle/hobby that they have become the expert on, I call my girlfriend a fashion geek.

A gamer in my eyes is somebody who loves to play video games but doesn't have a clue about the technology it runs on, probably purchased their PC pre-built from a store on the high street and doesn't have a clue what their graphics card is called.

Quote Originally Posted by Oktavian007 View Post
    Nerds are generally extremely intelligent, and if we've learned anything from trade chat, this is not the case with most of the WoW populace.
    Lmfao. Best argument right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by so mad bro View Post
    I don't get it.
    If you're heavily into sky diving, you're cool. If you're heavily into a certain movie series or games, you are a nerd ? Herp derp ? Are you a jock from the '90s ?

"Nerd" is just an insult like any other and like any other, its purpose is to belittle, often in defiance of logic itself, the other person because you don't like him/her or his/her ways are strange to you and your IQ is too low to understand that "only fools make fun of that which they don't understand" - ancient proverb
    I disagree at least locally. It is no longer an insult. We actually take it as a complement here and the definition has shifted from it's original use. Hence why it is more or less useless.

Haha Bro's...Not many of us on WoW even though there should be. People hear me on vent and go into shock lol.

Deleted
    Gamers can be nerds, runts, etc.

So can candy.