Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    All depends on realm. Aslong as you can get materials cheap enough you should always make money. Its when mats (ores, herbs, leathers and so on) rises in prices, and there is to little on it, that it gets hard to make money on a steady basis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Must be still profitable as one of my guildies has about 10,000,000 gold over a few of his toons... the git :P

Yeah, the only way to still earn some decent amount is the kind of stuff people always need, like gems, flasks/potions, enchantments, belt buckles and leg armor stuff.

Apart from that, blacksmithing, leatherworking and Tailoring are dead after 2-4 weeks into a raid tier, after that, you´re often better off selling those recipes asap on the auction house. And 3 months after this tier started, they´re basically dead, although not as dead as inscription.

And it´s way easier to farm gold selling valor point items oder event related items (though treatise or lovebird have become quite common lately).
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2012-02-18 at 04:59 PM.

Priest (JC/Ench)
    Druid (Alchy - pot spec'd/Ench)
    Pally (JC/BS)
    Rogue (JC/Engi)
    Hunter (Engi/Alchy - xmute spec'd)

Using these 5 toons professions (mainly JC/Ench) and doing nothing but sitting in Cowtown, Org at the AH I can easily make 5K/day for only about 45 mins work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    Similarly with Inscription. People list glyphs for 4-5G. There were a few glyphs that were listed for 110G - Glyph of Frost Nova. Someone came and listed 3 for 11G. I mean seriously?

People simply don't understand economics, JC and Enchanters are making TONS of gold atm with all the people and alts getting new gear almost every day. In this situation, I usually buy those glyphs and list them for the real price, yeah the original seller got 33g, but I walked away with 300+. Very, very simplified economics, it's all about finding your niche and exploiting said niche.

10+ Year Old Account
    dawg you crazy

I just made like 300g off of strange dust the other day on my warlock, selling vision dust now

Deleted
    I make a pretty nice amount of easy profit with alchemy, i don't even farm mats i buy them all, and still make 30% profit.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a maxed chanter, alchemist, tailor, blacksmith and leather worker and have given up crafting to make gold due to the amount of undercutters. I solely just play the auction house by buying all the cheap items and relisting them. If you know the flows of the market, there is no reason to craft any more. I buy spell threads for 200g one day of the week and sell them for 400 a couple of days later.

This week I purchased 20 Assasin Step chants for 750-950 gold and sold them for 1500-1800. Today I grabbed two windwalk chants for 990 gold on a server where maelstroms are currently 200+g and Celestials are 100g, in a few days I will repost them for 2k each.

On my server which has a high pop, crafting is for mugs. Spend 5 -10 minutes a day shopping and watch your back carrying all that cash to your bank.

In the beginning of cata i did inscription which brought in a lot of gold until the trinkets dropped in value and i went back to making flasks...

Professions tend to be less profitable as an expansion ages . That said their is still plenty of money to be made . You just have to put some effort into it at this point .

Uhhh... Sorry but this isn't correct at all. You can make a ton of money with jewel crafting, cut red gems being the most profitable and easy 'safe' sell. If you pay close attention to which other colours are popular on your server, you can also make good money there too. A good example is how i bought a load of orange un-cut gems for 13g each, cut it, sold them all for 120g each.

As an alchemist you can transmute red gems, which i've found to be extremely profitable. Again, you can normally just buy the stuff on AH when/if its cheap, transmute it it to a red gem, instant profit. Herbalism always makes a killing on my server, with a single stack of herbs that took less than 10 mins to get in tol barad selling for 100g to 200g (wish i was kidding). Enchants are still massively profitable too..

I'd say just pay more attention to the market and you can make gold fairly easily. There is a lot of 'safe' to sell stuff that is always in demand. Red gems being the prime example. If someone undercuts by a stupid amount, so be it, it doesn't mean the price will stay there for very long. One day the price can fall, one day it can rise. If you need gold quick, safe sales are the best to go for. If you aren't in a rush, you can just post it at a different time.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

For me Skinning&LW are VERY profitable, 3 hours of materials gathering net me with 20k xD

10+ Year Old Account
    I get all my stuff from my guild for free, /shrug
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    Gathering profs are now starting to make $$$ due to people prepping for MoP - easy money
    When MoP launches, LW will make $$$ due to new armour kits being around
    JC will always make easy money

Deleted
    Professions are a gold mine actually... every profession has something to offer. I have all professions covered across my characters. I rarely do any gathering though... I buy mats from trade chat and the AH. I dropped alot of gold just before 4.3 launched, to get some TCG mounts (I collect mounts) and was down to 40k gold. I'm now back up to just shy of 1 million gold (960k roughly), and I did the majority of that using profession. I make a good bit off Enchanting and Leatherworking. I actually don't do a ton of JC. If I did, I could probably make alot more, but I haven't pushed it that hard, since I'm doing fine without it. I also don't touch the glyph market.

So, making gold with professions is very much alive and thriving. You just gotta know your markets and understand how the economy works.