Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Rain View Post
    Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Two of the developers that were involved with the original DotA game filed to block Valve's application, which is still an ongoing case.
    is wrong. That'd be one developer (Guinsoo).
    Tauror is correct, actually. See http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/08/17/ri...ota-trademark/

~

Also, people please remember that there is a huge difference between copyrighting and trademarking.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    Tauror is correct, actually. See http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/08/17/ri...ota-trademark/

~

Also, people please remember that there is a huge difference between copyrighting and trademarking.
    unless pendragon turns out to be Eul, i don't remember ever playing a version he worked on.
    unless he worked under/with Guinsoo, i don't remember there being a pendragon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    Sigh, go back and read what was posted- Blizz is not capable of making a claim against the term Dota; it's owner and user are established. For Blizz to claim that this mark is in the public domain is asinine.
    Yes, because Blizzard loves to spend money on lawyers knowing that they will lose...

---------- Post added 2012-02-11 at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bridius View Post
    If Blizzard impedes Valve in any way from using the name Dota 2 then I'd cancel my subscription. That would be the last straw on the camel's back for me.
    Blizzard isn't impeding anything, Valve is with the trademarking.

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    Another person who doesn't really understand.
    Yet here is Valve TRYING TO TRADEMARK the name "Defense of the Ancients".
    Oops, how ironic it is that you claim to understand.

Valve is not trying to trademark "Defense of the Ancients". They want nothing to do with it. Dota 2 is spelt exactly that way, not DOTA 2. It is designed to be a trademark and a word in its own right: Dota. Dota in their trademark does not "stand" for anything. It is a word on its own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tohyatvc View Post
    Oops, how ironic it is that you claim to understand.

Valve is not trying to trademark "Defense of the Ancients". They want nothing to do with it. Dota 2 is spelt exactly that way, not DOTA 2. It is designed to be a trademark and a word in its own right: Dota. Dota in their trademark does not "stand" for anything. It is a word on its own.
    Uh, it's called DOTA 2 for a reason. As in a sequel of the original DotA, or Defense of the Ancients.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridius View Post
    If Blizzard impedes Valve in any way from using the name Dota 2 then I'd cancel my subscription. That would be the last straw on the camel's back for me.
    then quit, for once blizzard is doing the right thing.
    valve and much less icefrog trying to claim fame for DotA when the best any of them did was maintain it after, Guinsoo left to make LoL , is enormously arrogant and plain wrong.
    Valve doesn't own DotA they never worked on it, they should not be able to trademark it and call their game DotA 2.

the only person who could ever claim to make a "DotA 2" is Eul the person who originally made DotA back in WC3: reign of chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by scvd View Post
    Daily blink was hilarious.. /endsarcasmPeople need to get off this 10.2 mil high horse, half didn't even purchase cataclysm.
    Might want to provide proof of that instead of just rampant, unsubstantiated blizzard hate.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

Deleted
    sooooo....when is this MoP Talent Calculator Update happening by any chance??

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't the author of DOTA have the say in who gets to trademark it and i don't follow people but i think i read that he works for valve now (?)

Quote Originally Posted by blade5o View Post
    Wouldn't the author of DOTA have the say in who gets to trademark it and i don't follow people but i think i read that he works for valve now (?)
    no, Icefrog works for valve, no one knows where/who Eul(the original creator or DotA) is.
    Icefrog was the last person to work on Guinsoo's(the guy who works at riot on LoL) DotA: allstars

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    ill start by saying i love both blizzard and valve, but im kinda hoping valve pulls this one off. if any community wants the respect it deserves, its going to be with valve, so DOTA2 is in safe hands, specially if you consider their involvement/interaction with the TF2 community. i always avoided dota despite friends on wow playing it. personally, im not much for tower defense games (which is how i think of them, rather than calling the genre dota), and despite having a dota2 invite i have yet to play a round because im intimidated by the community and while ive watched matches and read/watched strats/guides, i have yet to actually play a round. that said, its been my impression that blizzard kinda left the original dota mod on its own. valve took the initiative to step in and want to make a standalone game and i applaud their efforts. sure they want to make money, but they will also make sure its a quality product, something i'd think blizzard would be excited about, if it werent for their own plans to make a similar type game, rather late though. maybe something will get settled and i cant even speculate who has a better case, but id rather see valve pull this off than greedyvision.

Quote Originally Posted by adikos View Post
    but id rather see valve pull this off than greedyvision.
    Why is it essential for Valve to be able to stifle further use of "DOTA" outside of their own purview? Because Blizzard are big meanies for trying to keep it open and untrademarked? Not a good reason.

At the end of the day both Blizz and Valve are distracting us from two long overdue things... Diablo 3 and Half-life 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.
    *Clinging to the promise of a talent calculator update*
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG DK Level 87 spell and a replacement for Desecrated Ground, please please please please...
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    unless pendragon turns out to be Eul, i don't remember ever playing a version he worked on.
    unless he worked under/with Guinsoo, i don't remember there being a pendragon.
    Ask PCgamer if they were lying, edit the wikipedia page for DotA if you feel like it, or whatever. Just because you never heard of a "Pendragon" does not mean others haven't.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElmoMcBeastly View Post
    Why is it essential for Valve to be able to stifle further use of "DOTA" outside of their own purview? Because Blizzard are big meanies for trying to keep it open and untrademarked? Not a good reason.
    i technically never said blizzard, but punned on activision. it doesnt matter eitherway though i suppose. its hard to argue that valve is going to stifle further use of dota considering no one else was using it, the genre as a whole has moved on past that tag and you have different types of games within that genre. i was merely suggesting that in terms of fostering and promoting a community for a game, i'd think valve would be more true to them than blizzard.

ill close saying that if anyone thinks for one minute that blizzard wouldnt call their up and coming tower defense game dota or something similar then they are fooling themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    no, Icefrog works for valve, no one knows where/who Eul(the original creator or DotA) is.
    Icefrog was the last person to work on Guinsoo's(the guy who works at riot on LoL) DotA: allstars
    According to a quote from Gabe, Eul is currently working for Valve. http://www.1up.com/previews/dota-2-v...oys-developers
    If that's true then Valve has the original creator of DoTA and the person who made it what into what it is today, they should win this case easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Yes, because Blizzard loves to spend money on lawyers knowing that they will lose...
    Well, in the lawyer world, sometimes it turns out that you lose/win a case when you shouldn't have. *cough* OJ *cough*
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkid View Post
    Valve have always been very greedy, but thankfully they will lose this little battle.
    What are you on? Valve is pretty much the least greedy, least douchey developer out there now.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selxxa View Post
    It's like if id tried to sue Valve over the Team Fortress name.
    Implying you made Team Fortress. lulwut