Frost or Unholy?

Hey guys, I dinged my dk 85 few days ago, however im quite unsure about what to do with my current itemlevel. Im shitty geared, obviously, so the question is ; What would be the best DPS spec for me with shet gear? And when I start gearing up, will frost be better or will unholy be abit better than frost at a specific gearlvl?

Quote Originally Posted by Faziel View Post
    Hey guys, I dinged my dk 85 few days ago, however im quite unsure about what to do with my current itemlevel. Im shitty geared, obviously, so the question is ; What would be the best DPS spec for me with shet gear? And when I start gearing up, will frost be better or will unholy be abit better than frost at a specific gearlvl?
    Ive tried both extensivelly, and they are actually quite close, although dual-wielding frost its a bit higher than unholy, but unholy has some nice perks that make it unique too.

For example in morchok it is possible to stay during the whole earthen vortex with anti-magic shield as unholy. Its a matter of preference really, i like unholy more, but its up to anyone to decide. In the end it should be wich rotation and playstyle you like more.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMarius View Post
    For example in morchok it is possible to stay during the whole earthen vortex with anti-magic shield as unholy. Its a matter of preference really, i like unholy more, but its up to anyone to decide. In the end it should be wich rotation and playstyle you like more.
    you can do it as frost as well (only tried in lfr).

i dislike pets. cant stand them, there for i go with frost. u have guys fighting for you as uh whole time.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of raw DPS, unholy comes out ahead of both two handed and dual wield frost at all gear levels. But go with what you feel suits your play style more, you'll end up doing more DPS that way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dralech View Post
    In terms of raw DPS, unholy comes out ahead of both two handed and dual wield frost at all gear levels. But go with what you feel suits your play style more, you'll end up doing more DPS that way.
    Fo' Serious?

PVP point of view:

Frost = easy play, lots of damage, bursty, proc based
    Unholy = lots of keybinds (get one more hand with at least 4 fingers ); higher skill cap, sustained damage/constant pressure, higher survivability

Good guide for unholy with comparing both specs - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3933044439
    Last edited by Tullkas; 2012-02-13 at 10:19 AM.

Try them both out and get some practice. If you can perform one significantly better than the other and/or you really prefer the style of one over the other, go with it. If you can play both about equally and are willing to switch around, I'd say let your weapon be the deciding factor. 1H Frost, 2H Unholy of course.

I prefer unholy just because of the mechanics (i like to feel like a melee warlock), but they're pretty on par with eachother. Do what makes you happy.

I prefer frost because I've played it since late wrath and im too used to it to change, therefore I can pull more dps in frost than unholy simply because of that. But like others said go with whatever suits your play-style, in the end you'll end up doing more dps than a less-preferred spec.

Deleted
    Dps output: Unholy wins.
    Utility? Unholy wins again with AMZ.

Frost is only the better option for spine of dw and madness HEROIC because the burst is essential.
    So there you have it.
    If your a min maxer, go unholy for 6/8 and frost DW for spine and madness heroic.
    If you are not a min maxer, just pick whatever you like the most. Because the gap isn't that big (2-3k in bis gear iirc)

DPS-wise, DW frost and Unholy are nearly identical. You just need to ask your self; do you hate pets and/or love dual-wielding? If so, go frost. If you don't care and/or have access to a higher ilvl 2 hander vs dual-wield, go Unholy. It comes down to personal preferences; I prefer dual-wielding and loathe pets so I'll remain Frost unless Unholy pulls way ahead, then I'll suck it up and switch (blech).