Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    you are partaking of a service not offered by wow. so imo, morally fine. if blizz HAD vanilla servers you would be morally wrong. all my opinion of course

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    "..the fun that i demand from a game"
    am i the only one who thinks this is weird? and at the same time you say blizzard has rotten over the years?

    im out of words over such a mentality :O where have the days gone where you played a game just for the sake of playing a game? where are the days where you would wait for a game to release without wanting to know about every step the developers did?
    i just cannot understand this destructive way of thinking, where everythings being looked at as cynical as possible.. and i know from experience from my younger days that the way of cynism is a way void of happyness..

    there has been a southpark-episode that showed it in a comicy way, but still you could get the message behind all the jokes ^^

    ---------- Post added 2012-02-12 at 12:54 AM ----------



    oh and yeah, doing stuff against the law is wrong.
    I do not understand your post..

    You say it is wrong to say you "demand" something of a game ?

    That is NOT wrong, you pay for a product you have certain demands, expectations so to speak.. Since wow is pay per play it better be fucking kickass.. Else there is alot of free to play games out there like LOL as the first example that jumps to mind.

    When i am forced to pay what seems like an extra expense to play a game than what is required in most game i expect more of it.. And to be fair wow has not changed ANYTHING in over 6 years.. Nothing has fundamentally changed at all, nothing. The old models are still the same engine is still the same combat is still the same and so on..
    You might find small things changed like water looks and stuff but its just non essential.

    its still group runs, raid runs, bg, arena you might say arena is new but it really isnt.. Its just BGs in a more concentrated format.

    You can have plenty of personal demands to a game that needs to be met before you want to spend as much money on a game as you do on wow, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    I would even say it is harmful to not have demands. Look at SWTOR the game developers think it´s okay to make a reskinned mass effect game that has major errors in 95% of all the games functions and mechanics. They have not learned ANYTHING from the failures of other MMO´s at all and graphics wise its a huuuuge step back..

    And people still clap they fat little greased up geeky hands because they are little fan boys without any expectations demands or any concept of what money is, so they just ask mom and daddy to throw money at it.

    If we dont demand stuff, things will never get better.. If we dont whine on the forums Blizzard and other game developers will think everything is as it should be and do NOTHING! to better things.. They are trying to please EVERYBODY to make money off of as many as possible..

    You sound like an advertiser from the record industry proclaiming, acta, pipa and sopa are good idea´s cus they benefit big business..
    You are spewing propaganda and have no idea how anything works.

  3. #23
    The way I see it, if you're paying for a WoW sub already, you are ENTITLED to a private server.

  4. #24
    copyright law is borderline legal theft, i see no problem with private servers.

  5. #25
    Dreadlord tj119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    966
    I don't have a problem with private servers, I don't see it as stealing from Blizzard I imagine most of those people wouldn't be playing WoW if there wasn't private servers I mean $15 a month isn't shit.

  6. #26
    Bloodsail Admiral Antherios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,040
    I cant talk bad about private servers, because if it wasnt for them, i wouldnt have bought WoW in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    ... I mean $15 a month isn't shit.
    It may be a shit for you, but its something for other people. From where i come, (and to my understanding, the whole Latin American region), paying a montly fee for a game is still looked as a crazy nerdy behavior.
    When i ask most people here if they play wow, and they happen to answer yes, they immediately ask me in which private server i play. And im like "no, i play in the retail server", and they are like O.o!.
    Last edited by Antherios; 2012-02-12 at 08:20 AM.

  7. #27
    Private servers are essentially pirating. Whatever someone's moral standpoint on them is should match that of pirating in general.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Antherios View Post
    I cant talk bad about private servers, because if it wasnt for them, i wouldnt have bought WoW in the first place.
    Same boat...I left SRO(Silkroad Online) for a busted ass WoW PS, bought retail a month later and never looked back.

    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." ~Elbert Hubbard

  9. #29
    "In most cases, software classed as abandonware is not in the public domain, as it has never had its original copyright revoked and some company or individual still owns exclusive rights. Therefore, sharing of such software is usually considered copyright infringement, though in practice copyright holders rarely enforce their abandonware copyrights."
    Wiki article on abandonware.

  10. #30
    Scarab Lord Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    4,902
    Its wrong no matter what. You can't justify it by saying " BUT I WANT VANILLA WOW BACK." stealing is stealing. Blizz made Vanilla WoW. There really is no difference because they don't provide that anymore.

    If walmart stopped carrying a certain cereal, and help it in their storage, and you snuck in and took it anyway.

    Either way, your morals are your opinion, but its not only against the law, but you are cancelling your sub with Blizz to play on another game blizz made. So they are losing money while you still basically get the same game.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinyknight View Post
    Its not stealing, its creating a copy, the original still exists and the owner can still sell it if they want to (and in this case, I would seriously consider buying it).

    It might be illegal, but if nobody loses, is it wrong?
    You are playing their game without paying for it like most people are.
    The actual content matters not, it is still theft.

    Blizzard do lose what should be paying subscribers to private servers, so they do lose out.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2012-02-12 at 08:29 AM.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    you are partaking of a service not offered by wow. so imo, morally fine. if blizz HAD vanilla servers you would be morally wrong. all my opinion of course
    I don't play on one nor do I ever plan to but I agree with this completely. And yes, its my opinion.

    I also understand the other end of the spectrum and realize that, legally speaking, my "opinion" is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  13. #33
    Bloodsail Admiral Antherios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Its wrong no matter what. You can't justify it by saying " BUT I WANT VANILLA WOW BACK." stealing is stealing. Blizz made Vanilla WoW. There really is no difference because they don't provide that anymore.

    If walmart stopped carrying a certain cereal, and help it in their storage, and you snuck in and took it anyway.

    Either way, your morals are your opinion, but its not only against the law, but you are cancelling your sub with Blizz to play on another game blizz made. So they are losing money while you still basically get the same game.
    I agree with everything except for the same game deal. Because, lets be honest, it may be the same game, but its not at the same time.
    In most private servers the bugs run rampart, there are not enough gms to ban all the hackers, and the community is as big as a medium wow retail server.

    I remember when i got a warrior to level 78, and i was questing in icecrown on an private server, and most of the quest were bugged.. any quests that required you to go into a vehicle, didnt work, and you got rewarded immediately like if you completed it.

    The quest/achievements/server bugs + the small community + no LFD, LFR or fast queue BGs + Patches taking AGES to deploy and Bosses being severely bugged also classes being overpowered because the private server devs dont know how to balance them, and some attacks for some classes not working + Lag + Random DCs + Rollbacks + etc

    So, its the same game, but not the same game.

    (Also funny story)
    I switched to retail servers, because i got some sweet swords from ulduar, and a ton of loot, then the next day the server went down the whole day, and 2 days later they did a 3 day rollback... lost all my gear. so i said "fuck it, i wont play wow untill i get enough money for a retail account".. got my account 2 months later, 1 and a 1/2 years in retail, and i would never go back
    Last edited by Antherios; 2012-02-12 at 08:37 AM.

  14. #34
    It doesn't bother me too much. Except when the server is highly restrictive unless you "donate" cash. Otherwise, it's kinda minor with MMOs. I say that because MMOs are evolving things and even if one would like to play a specific iteration of the game- an MMO server still requires maintenance. Which I have found in my experience to be the deal break with private servers.

    Few run stably or have all the bugs worked out. I tried several vanilla WoW servers and it's just not smooth. The EQ, Galaxies and Atlantica PS' I tried were horrible. Tons of lag, bugs, broken or missing features are things only a relatively small segment of players are willing to put up with vs. the trifle that is $12/mo for actual game. Esp. considering the amount of time & effort some of the older MMOs required against the prospect a crash or minor bug can wipe it all out. Hard to invest serious time on a PS, IMO.

    Also EQ has actual progression servers now. This is awesome incarnate.

  15. #35
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,046
    if its so wrong, why isn't anyone getting sued or throw in jail over it?

    just seems to me like it's just something that they don't want done, but aren't going to go out of their way to do anything about it because it's a waste of time and resources. like telling your sister her boyfriend is a worthless good for nothing and you don't want him in your home, but your mom has already decided she wants to help your sister.

    most private servers are badly maintained anyway, or at least not run well enough to keep anything but a few people there who have probably quit playing World of Warcraft altogether.
    grandpa died the other day and a dumb fat fuck jumped out in front of a dump truck when i be like "man im hungry, im gonna get some pizza". go to my pops' funeral, tired as fuck. get in some b-ball, broke my friends nose on accident. get home at 7:50 PM, taking mini naps, about to pass out... but gotta slay dem dragons. dat second wind

    true story, just another day in the life yo

  16. #36
    Scarab Lord Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    4,902
    if its so wrong, why isn't anyone getting sued or throw in jail over it?

    FYI, Blizz won a HUGE lawsuit over a married couple I think running a private server. Millions of dollars. Google it bud.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    You are playing their game without paying for it like most people are.
    The actual content matters not, it is still theft.
    No and just no. People should stop mixing piracy and theft.





    OT :

    I love WoW, i love blizzard for creating wow and giving me the years of joy i had in wow... but 15 euro's fee a month is just ridicule in these times.
    It's an ancient thing coming from the time when bandwidth and servermaintenance / -rent was still expensive.
    Blizz claims it's for patches and bugfixing, server maintenance and bandwidth while there reports exactly show how much those things cost for each account and they don't come over 1.5 euro's, meaning 13.5 euro's is profit or wasted on retarded internal stuff.

    Revenue should come from the box, not from annual fee's.. GW1 and GW2 in future have proven and will prove monthly fee's are out of date and not appropriate anymore.
    They brought more content patches then wow did and we didnt had to pay a single dime extra for it.
    Bugfixes is not something we should pay extra for, you buy a game which is supposed to be bug free, if it's not it's not a problem, but its not the consumers duty to pay extra to remove bugs that shouldnt be there in the first place.

    Bottomline ; As long as Blizz (and ie Bioware SWTOR) dare to ask a montlhy fee for their services with their arguments in this time of technology, i encourage using private servers.
    Why bring in the moral aspect on playing on private servers when the moral aspect of the company that made this game is far too fetch

    Theft is not playing on private servers, theft is dare to ask 15 bux for services that are nearly free to offer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    if its so wrong, why isn't anyone getting sued or throw in jail over it?
    .

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Alyson+Reeves+Scapegaming


    Last edited by Sersel; 2012-02-12 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    I don't celebrate National Native Americans Welcomed Us With Open Arms and Helped Us Survive the First Winter That We Were Woefully Unprepared For and We Repaid Them By Taking Their Lands, Raping Their Women and Murdering Them Day....
    Several Indian tribes see this holiday as the beginning of a process by which they tragically lost their land, and their population was decimated. Every year Indians come together in Plymouth to commemorate their "national day of mourning."

  18. #38
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Latvia
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    You are playing their game without paying for it like most people are.
    The actual content matters not, it is still theft.

    Blizzard do lose what should be paying subscribers to private servers, so they do lose out.
    Here is where you are wrong. Since dawn of WoW I have been against private servers, just because they sucked in comparison to original wow (mechanics not working, admins doing what they want thus ruining gameplay etc. etc.). However think of these things:

    1) Indeed internet piracy can't be compared to stealing of physical things (like a car, jewelry) - you do not take that thing away from the person, you just copy the content so you both have the same thing,
    2) Yes, in case the owner made this thing to gain profit from that (like a song, a movie or in this case a game), it is wrong, because you make the original owner raise less income because you use the product and didn't pay for it and maybe you even give it to others so again - original owner looses income,
    3) But the game is old and Blizzard is actually not selling it. Raid content is different, in most cases old content isn't even accessible, the land and quests have changed since changes to world upon arrival of cataclysm and the class and talent changes have made an old vanilla content inaccessible.

    Keeping in mind these 3 points, we can see that while yes - piracy in some cases is a punishable crime (legally it is always punishable) - it is not always the case. I don't play the game, because I have grew bored of it and don't like the changes it has been going through. I have purchased original game and all the expansions up to date. IF I would to go and play the game on private server, Blizzard would not loose a sub - I wouldn't play the game as it is right now anyway. As well as me playing wow on Private vanilla or TBC server wouldn't take away current game from Blizzard - they could still sell it. Basically as it was said before - legally it is crime (on bigger part for the one who made the private server and on a less scale for those who plays on it), but morally I don't see this being a crime as it doesn't change anything for Blizzard.

  19. #39
    Private servers are fine as long as they are not making a profit via donations/premium.

    Piracy is not immoral and is not theft. Piracy does not cause lost sales, most people who pirate stuff would have never bought it anyway. Here's some shocking news for you, people like spending money on things they enjoy!

    I pirated TES: Oblivion, I loved it so much I went out and bought it. It even caused me to buy Fallout 3, Skyrim and all the DLCs the day they came out.

    Similarly, when I was 14-15 I pirated several HIM songs and became a huge fan and bought their entire discography. Hell I even went to see them live and bought 3 shirts from one of their gigs. Same for countless other artists that get no play time on the radio in the UK.


    The only people who claim piracy is theft are people who's run multi-billion dollar companies, the same companies that pay almost nothing in taxes and treat people like shit.
    Last edited by Glomp; 2012-02-12 at 09:13 AM.

  20. #40
    If you think blizzard customer service is bad, wait until you get problem on private server (and boy, you WILL have problems).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •