Is there a such thing as TOO much haste as DW frost?

So I was running reg DS today on my Frost DK and I was coming in 2nd in most fights and I was quite pleased as I was doing more than people with better gear than me. Then this guy from a guild we used to have some raids with who I know has a Frost DK whispered me and I found his suggestions rather weird. He told me that 2200 haste is something that Frost should aim for then after that it's okay to drop some. With me being at 2650 haste, he suggested I could benefit from his advice.

He said you should still reforge for haste but it would be okay to drop haste pieces of lower ilvl (378) for stuff thats 397 even though it had no haste on it. His reasoning is that after that your runes come off CD too fast and you will not be able to get rid of that excess RP before you get too many runes back. If you can't get rid of that excess RP, you're missing out on potential runes. During Bloodlust phases I do notice that my RP goes up sky high, especially during points where I am firing 3 oblits in one go.

However, even though it almost made sense in my head, I still didn't want to believe him.

So my question is the same as the title. Is there a such thing as too much haste? I almost wanna call this guy a troll seeing as how I've never heard of this argument in my time of playing frost.

You should want to drop pieces of lower ilvls regardless if only for the additional strength I imagine, especially going from 378 to 397.

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know you should never downgrade your items because ratings. Str is simply too good. Especially if you really are using 378 piece(s) over 397.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

Sticking with an item from a previous tier because of a secondary stat is not the way to do it. If oyu want to get all mathy with it, look at EJ and get stat wieghts, then do the math to see which item has a greater value. 100 to 1 it will be the 397 pice over the 378.

2500 is when I have issues with haste, after that number during bloodlust I cannot burn all of my RP in order to proc more runes due to their recharge speed at 225% haste.

More to your point OP, yes, there are definite thresholds where Haste becomes less than ideal simply because you can't expend the Runes and Runic Power fast enough. Many, many people have posted in these very forums with various values, one of which is around 2200 like your cohort suggested.

Do some digging; I'm sure you'll find that what he's suggesting is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    More to your point OP, yes, there are definite thresholds where Haste becomes less than ideal simply because you can't expend the Runes and Runic Power fast enough. Many, many people have posted in these very forums with various values, one of which is around 2200 like your cohort suggested.

After 2200 mastery becomes more effective for the reason haste won't benefit you anymore at certain point while mastery always do.

I've personally found my ideal haste to be at about 2050 rating. I rarely waste Rimes during Bloodlust and rarely run into periods of idle.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    to a point. Yes after about 2-2.2k haste people start getting pretty capped with t13p2. However, you should not drop 19 ilvls if a piece of gear has haste on it.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I knew the thing about the ilvl and how strength is just too good to pass up. I wasn't planning on gimping myself with lower ilvl pieces to get more haste. I think my example was probably a bad way to put it. My question was if there were "haste caps" and thanks to those who answered it.

I was noticing that during BL phases my RP was going way too damn high and I couldn't fire off my Rime procs if I didn't want to waste RP. Also popping Empower Rune Weapon is definitely screwing up my RP generation cause I just have too damn much all the time. I think I'm playing it wrong, but even still, I think "too much haste" is screwing me up. There will be moments where I will have full runes and full RP and it's just a clusterfuck in BL sometimes.

So I'm guessing I could potentially drop some haste (with pieces of similar ilvl) to counter this issue. 2200 seems a fair trade off.

As bals stated, I try to stay in the 2k to 2.2k area for haste and reforge into mastery after that. ALWAYS grab the higher strength gear; reforging is your friend.