Lightbulb I just had an epiphany - Amazing MMO idea.

I just had an epiphany. The idea hit me like a bolt of lightning. This is an amazing idea for an MMORPG.

Think about this one. You make one massive, interesting, practical, compelling world. And then you let everyone play together on it. You know, like everyone in the same world. You get more of a multiplayer experience playing a battlefield game (64 players at once!) or tf2 than you do today's generation of MMOs. I mean if you want a big chat room you can always log into IRC.

Bring us a real MMORPG, not an instanced player lobby with padded walls.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like EVE, although that's a space setting instead of a fantasy setting. Pretty epic battles there, also...

Would require heavy instancing, So heavy that you might as well have servers.

EVE hit the mark concerning a sandbox world where events and actions are completely led by the players. It has a huge learning curve for new players and it requires initiative to get stuff started, but the concept itself is BY FAR, the best one regarding MMOs.

I only regret not having started EVE some years ago, bah.

10+ Year Old Account

This what comes to mind

15+ Year Old Account
    I do agree on the fact that just one server holding potentially millions of players would be fun and impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikehuntz View Post
    [IG]http://chzpokememes.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pokmon-game-of-the-year.jpg[/IMG]

This what comes to mind
    Red and Blue sucked gameplay-wise compared to the new ones. Replace that with BW and Nintendo can have all my money.

OT: The problem with that has traditionally been making sure everyone playing has an enjoyable experience, which, if you want the massive investment of an MMO to actually be worth it, is sort of necessary. EVE gets by because it's the sole occupier of a specific niche and isn't exactly the hugest game in the world, along with players, for the most part, creating their own content.

There's also technical challenges, but those are slowly going away.

Spreading players equally across the entire world would be an impossible task.
    I'm not saying that it won't work, but you'll need a lot more detail for this epiphany to come anywhere close to a fully-realized game.

It's a compelling idea, there are probably some ways comingin the near future, both tech-wise and idea-wise to make for more open world continuous gameplay and less "Padded wall" mode like WoW has, but realistically, all those players on a stable system would require quantum computing.

Sounds kinda like the world that in Asherons Call. It started off as 1 big land mass, then later they added some islands, each one being well done and an important part of the game. You could just about run anywhere you wanted, in a straight line. There were some mountains and cliffs you couldn't climb, but they were usually there for a reason other than just being there to separate the different areas.

There were no instances. They had dungeons, but everybody was always put into the same dungeon.

You could run out into the wild and find always something cool, like a mob that dropped something you needed, a landmark related to the lore that you've never seen before, maybe a dungeon that wasn't very well known, a good camp of mobs to grind for a level or 2, or maybe some random quest npc.