Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    I think it rather adequately explains why there's a delay after swings, though. Whether you swing it back the other way or return it to the point you naturally hold it, it's not going to be instantaneous.

Though, I also think the poster in question had lag as well...
    Take a look at the video below

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG_AJ9DdvhM

I can't be 100% certain, but they might be using the standard weight Guan Dao (Kwan Dao), but it's also possible he's using the Wushu version that's significantly lighter. The heavier (Wuzuquan or Gojo forms) Guan Dao can weigh between 25 and (!)50kg, when consisting of metal handle and counterweight.

You'll see how they have moves that pause at the end when a significant change of direction is called for, but there is also quite a bit of follow-through from one move to another. These are all competition demonstrations by some of the best in the world, which should be a good example of how heroes in the game should perform at a minimum.

If your game behaves like this, then it's perfectly fine!

EDIT: After a re-watch of the video, I notice they are all using the lighter version of the weapon, with wooden handle and the flexible blade, I don't know if you'll find a video using the heavier as they are not as impressive to the uninformed.

EDIT 2: After some more searching I found more relevant videos
    1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtYeQ7gW_Ng
    2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjtEL34q5K4

You'll notice in both videos, the blade does NOT wobble, and the performers are not stick thin people, but a bit more on the heavy side, as is required to handle the heavier blades, I suspect these are about 25kg (50lbs) weight.
    Last edited by Jinna; 2012-02-22 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    You'll see how they have moves that pause at the end when a significant change of direction is called for, but there is also quite a bit of follow-through from one move to another. These are all competition demonstrations by some of the best in the world, which should be a good example of how heroes in the game should perform at a minimum.

If your game behaves like this, then it's perfectly fine!
    And that's pretty much how slayer plays. Most attacks consist of 3-4 swings that chain well together and then end with a stronger move that takes a moment to recover from.

Not so sure how I feel about the addition of rifts

Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    Huh? What are you referring to?

Huh? What are you referring to?
    http://www.terafans.com/

New raid crevices
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    http://www.terafans.com/

New raid crevices
    WOW at that whole list...

Large Scale PvE Content - The Dark Rift

Huge Scale PvE Content.
    A Dark Rift Opens in High Level Areas.
    Kill monsters to close the Rift.
    Entering the Dark Rift area will automatically give you a reputation quest.
    Auto Party System implemented for The Dark Rift - When you are near area you will be in a party/alliance.
    Rewards are better based on the amount of players participating during event.
    The Dark Rift requires 20 players to clear.
    The Dark Rift has multiple phases, each phase has a special boss!
    PvP Equipment can be purchased using reputation points from The Dark Rift. (This is a temporary thing until they finish renovating the arena/battlegrounds.)
    Other than that the rest of the update looks great, glad they are changing the currency system and warrior changes are interesting as well. The more content available at launch the better.
    Last edited by reighnman; 2012-02-22 at 06:02 PM.

WOW at that whole list...
    Wonder where the mystic will be with the raid crevices.

they need more heals!

Almost every single MMO uses rifts.
    WoW

Aion

Guild Wars 1

I know there are more but I don't feel like finding them. Rift was not the first game to use them and they sure as hell wont be the last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

Yes but I don't believe those focused their endgame content around them. Then again I don't really know since I didn't play many of them

Is it just me or does that description sound exactly like what rifts in Rift do?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Is it just me or does that description sound exactly like what rifts in Rift do?
    Rift isn't the first MMO to have rifts like that, but yes it's the same. Except these rifts are high level only so they won't be useless like most of Rift's rifts.

Plus rift has raid dungeons which make their Rifts more useless.

I think its a good idea for Tera if they don't keep adding more end game things that could over take it (raid instances).

Yes but I don't believe those focused their endgame content around them. Then again I don't really know since I didn't play many of them
    This is the only rift in the game, and its not the only end game content.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    That's exactly what rifts do in EVERY game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

Seeing a worldboss in videos, I can see how they will make it work Probably involving mobs charing wildly into the crowd absolutely molesting anything that comes in their way, seems good. Rifts in Rift for example, were just like a mini-dungeon... Trash spawns, bosses spawn, and it's relatively easy to just move in there, stand there, heal some people, and get points. When there's a tank present, it was just nuke something that's being tanked as hard as possible.

I believe this kind of boss encounters that Tera has, has a lot of potential to be good in these rifts. Just hoping they can get the full potential of it out ^^
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Since players handle the voting, they are probably not going to vote in the asshole dictator and his crew, and it would be hard for one guild to take control of a server unjustly because there is only so many of them compared to the rest of the server. What you would get is a pseudo-government with complete lays and standards for the server, people would only vote for people who look out for them. Assholes would be jailed. Wouldn't you like a bit of street justice for chat trolls and ninja loots?
    You might want to poke your head around EVE and it's CSM, and who is in it, for a counter example. It's rather surprising and sometimes frightening what people will do in large groups.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

There were already open elite areas in Tera. The rifts thing seems a natural extension in light of that and the BAFMs.

ZAM is giving away beta keys RIGHT now:

http://www.zam.com/giveaways/tera.html

Just need to log in and you can get a key.

ZAM is giving away beta keys RIGHT now:

http://www.zam.com/giveaways/tera.html

Just need to log in and you can get a key.
    Yup, seems like I don't have to be bored this weekend, yay =D
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Rift isn't the first MMO to have rifts like that, but yes it's the same. Except these rifts are high level only so they won't be useless like most of Rift's rifts.

Plus rift has raid dungeons which make their Rifts more useless.

I think its a good idea for Tera if they don't keep adding more end game things that could over take it (raid instances).
    "Most" of Rifts rifts aren't useless, they are an XP bomb and are very handy while leveling. And dungeons making rifts useless? Thats like saying raids make PvP useless. Complete horsecrap.

GW2 fanboi detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    Yup, seems like I don't have to be bored this weekend, yay =D
    Heh, grats.

I just gave keys to all of the usual suspects in my WoW guild.