15+ Year Old Account

Exclamation DCs, Not Connecting, Instabilty of Connection. HELP please

I'm having serious issues with my computer and/or internet connection and I'm hoping one of you folks on here is knowledgeable enough to help me figure out what the hell is going on.

I connect to the internet via WiFi like every one else in the house & our phones as well. I've always had a good connection until a few days ago. I would have random DCs or long load times or my computer just flat out saying that I don't have a connection to the house's WiFi. I can see this, look at my phone that is at full bars WiFi, and look at my boyfriend sitting there playing something on his computer next to me & hear his sister in the living room playing on the Xbox. ALL CONNECTED JUST FINE! This is not a constant thing. It comes & goes but when it comes its beyond frustrating as you might expect.

I've turned my firewall off & even tried disabling my anti-virus to see if THAT will fix it. My computer is up to date in every other aspect. I've tried changing the network adapter I have into other USB ports and that doesn't seem to fix the issue either. I'm connecting with a belkin model F9L1108-TG if that helps too.

What do you think is the problem and how do I fix it?

Windows can apparently do periodic scanning to try and pick a better signal.
    See if this program helps at all.

WLAN Optimizer
    http://www.martin-majowski.de/

I had I think some success with it previously but am currently on powerline, which has issues of its own.
    Namely a power saving feature which seems to kick in whenever it feels like it, regardless of the amount of activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Windows can apparently do periodic scanning to try and pick a better signal.
    See if this program helps at all.

WLAN Optimizer
    http://www.martin-majowski.de/

I had I think some success with it previously but am currently on powerline, which has issues of its own.
    Namely a power saving feature which seems to kick in whenever it feels like it, regardless of the amount of activity.
    I'll try it because anything at this point that could possibly fix the issue is a welcome suggestion. I just don't have too much hope because on their home page it talks about having lag spikes when this issue is just plain ass connectivity issues at points not lag. When I'm connected, there's no lag.

15+ Year Old Account
    OK folks, I ran this WLAN Optimizer thing & I'm still having the problems. I have switched out my network adapter with my boyfriend's network adapter but I'm still having these issues. Anyone know WTF could possibly be going on here? I'm very open to suggestions or advice.

Some ideas:

1. Maybe there is another device near your computer that is interfering with the signal?

2. Flush the dns

Type CMD in windows search. Dont click the cmd icon but instead right click it and select run as admin. Then type the following..

ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset reset.log

3. Reinstall your OS

Painful BUT something may have corrupted your registry and broke your internet. In that case, a full reinstall should fix it.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    3. Reinstall your OS

Painful BUT something may have corrupted your registry and broke your internet. In that case, a full reinstall should fix it.
    See that's just the thing though, literally nothing changed from when I had perfect internet to when it started doing this crap. No software installed. No hardware installed. No settings changed (that I'm aware of). And I've done a full system virus check & defragged my computer too. As far as another device near mine interfering with it, my boyfriend's PC has been next to mine for 3 months now and it just started happening a few days ago out of nowhere. I did the flush dns you suggested & didn't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    See that's just the thing though, literally nothing changed from when I had perfect internet to when it started doing this crap. No software installed. No hardware installed. No settings changed (that I'm aware of). And I've done a full system virus check & defragged my computer too. As far as another device near mine interfering with it, my boyfriend's PC has been next to mine for 3 months now and it just started happening a few days ago out of nowhere. I did the flush dns you suggested & didn't fix it.

Try this. Take all other devices off of your wifi network. The only thing connected to your wifi should be your computer. Are you still having an issue? One of the connected devices could be causing conflict. Also, try a wired connection. Run an ethernet cable from one of your routers ports directly into your computer. Still having a problem?

Why does the Windows Registry get corrupted?

There are a range of possibilities, starting with the lowest level and working upwards:
    - Since the registry is a just a protected file, there could be problems with the hard disk, for example, bad sectors that cause information to be lost.
    - Registry changes are transactional, but it is possible that a power failure or other transient condition leaves registry entry sets into an incomplete or corrupted state.
    - More likely, application installations make improper associations or esp. uninstallations, do not reset or cleanup after themselves.
    - Malware also often makes changes to the registry.

Data is moved or changed without following the correct procedure, incorrect data is passed to an application through human error or memory leaks, or a hardware fault causes data to become corrupted.

A bad hard drive or a power surge or sudden power loss could corrupt the registry. Malware that went undetected could damage the registry. Maybe you uninstalled something and the registry cleanup failed and corrupted something. Maybe you moved a bunch of files around on the drive and it caused a problem. Maybe one of your installed programs has a memory leak and that leak finally screwed up the registry.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-12-03 at 08:27 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    I doubt that a corrupt registry would cause intermittent WiFi connection problems. But yeah if you absolutely want to rule out a corrupted windows issue a clean install would accomplish that.

Interference or flaky hardware seems much more likely.
    The problem with wifi is that the air is a shared medium and plenty of stuff uses or pollutes the 2.4 GHz band (microwaves, baby phones, bluetooth devices, car alarms, ...), so there is a lot of stuff that potentially can disrupt the connection. Also different devices and locations may behave differently, so it is possible that your stick has trouble while another device near you doesn't.

Moving the router might help, as well as changing the wifi channel or trying a different wifi connector or moving to the 5Ghz band (requires new hardware including the router if it doesn't support 5GHz). At the end of the day however WiFi is prone to disruptions due to its nature, so for the best connection you'd have to use wires.

Edit: Just saw that you've already tried your friend's adapter (same brand?). Since that didn't help it could be the location.

As for software I think the power settings might screw up things, so maybe check the power settings for the device in question in the device manager.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2017-12-03 at 09:50 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The router we have (and have had for at least a couple years) runs the 5Ghz band. My boyfriend's PC is about 6 feet from mine and has been in this spot for 3-4 months now. The funny thing is prior to the past 3-4 days, my connection to the WiFi was stronger than his is even though my position in the room is further away from the router than his is. Yes I used his adapter (different brand) on my PC and had the same issues. He used my adapter on his PC and had no issues on his PC. That's the reason why I ruled out the actual adapter being the issue (even though to be safe I went out & bought a new Netgear one and am using that one now).